Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Cruz Gone? [Rumour]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
I live under the approach flight path, about 10mi east of Hatton Cross. I don’t find the 747s as incredibly noisy, 773s are noticeably louder, RAF Chinooks louder still. Not a scientific observation granted, and those living under the departures flight path will experience things differently.
I live just off the departures flight path and by some margin BA aircraft are easily the noisiest at LHR. The clapped out 747 fleet in particular are noticeable when sitting in the garden but it is the evening BA247 which is, by some margin, the worst offender.
mrow likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by binman
I live just off the departures flight path and by some margin BA aircraft are easily the noisiest at LHR. The clapped out 747 fleet in particular are noticeable when sitting in the garden but it is the evening BA247 which is, by some margin, the worst offender.
Why is that any louder than any other 77W?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Plus shareholders will have a view on such shenanigans as this,

The institutional investors will take a dim view of an independent chairman being relaced by the Chief Exec of the group let alone for WW to be replaced by 'failing' Alex Cruz.
Walsh has been around from the beginning of IAG and spearheaded it conception and Cruz has been at BA for coming up to 5 years now. If the investors and shareholders had any grave concerns I am sure we would have seen changes faster.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Deltus
Maybe a/c at or near MTOW so full thrust take-off? Slower climb? Reduced ambient noise at that time of night? Less wind in the eve to dissipate the sound?

Just the thoughts of a not-so-informed amateur.
binman likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by origin
Let me think, how many garage courtesy cars are you on at the moment?
On my last one, we had a recall for a minor issue which was promptly dealt with so no car was required. They served some nice coffee and had a nice assortment of magazines which were not just automotive but also had a copy of Country Life buried amongst them as well as other travel and lifestyle ones. They also have staff at your beck and call and can never do enough for you including the branch manager who was concerned when he saw me sitting alone for a few mins. Otherwise, I have only had a courtesy car on its routine annual service so three.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by Raffles
Today, no-one pays money for facts. The internet has made facts free, effectively. You don't even need to click through from Google any longer - most of the questions you ask are answered via a 'snippet' at the top of the results. People DO want analysis and opinion, however. They will 'pay' for this, either directly via £ or indirectly via giving you their eyeballs and letting you sell ads alongside it.

Even the newspapers have worked this out and are now far more opinion-piece driven. With something like this, however, you are likely to get a bland repetition of the facts in the media. We (the broader 'we', not necessarily my team) do it better.
What you say is largely true, but it comes with potentially deep societal problems.

(a) All too frequently now there is little clarity between what is an opinion piece, and what is factual news.

(b) A piece that might be "factual" is often framed in a way to put forward an opinion, by deliberate avoidance of giving a balanced view with all the facts and context. It can be as simple as presenting the story with a cherry picked and unrepresentative headline.

(c) There is fierce competition and greed for clicks, and outrage "news" drives clicks. You'll gain clicks from supporters of all sides to see what the fuss is about. It doesn't even matter if what's written is factual or not, the click has paid off.

(d) Lazy and cheap "news" is increasingly driven by social media, particularly Twitter, which has become a cacophony of festering hyperbole, opinion and disinformation. It encourages tribalism and echo chambers, and is unrepresentative of society as a whole, encouraging the most extreme comments which are rewarded with likes, retweets and commentary, whether good or bad. Whoever shouts loudest wins the day. I'm amazed at how many stories from supposed reputable sources, such as the Beeb, frequently use Twitter either to create a story, or to pad a story with supposedly representative but heavily curated quotes.

The above pretty much encapsulates the fake news and so-called post-truth culture, with people quick to polarise and become tribal, picking a side with minimal information. Changing people's initial perceptions is a very hard task. This can have a devastating effect on individuals, it's become the modern day equivalent to stocks and witch burning. Once the damage and smears have happened, it's nigh on impossible to undo them, the story will have happened, and the reputations will have been lost.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by icegirl
The 744 are over 20 years old. I can't think anyone here would dare own and drive a car of that age as their daily runaround.
I hate to disappoint you, but I use a 20 year old Saab for the Canadian winters and a 53 year old Jaguar in the summer. So far they have been totally reliable, it's simply down to maintenance.

If all you do is put fuel in them and drive them until something breaks and leaves you stranded that's one thing, but actually following the maintenance schedule and attending to funny noises results in a car that is reliable. Airplanes are no different, things get replaced on a schedule, they don't just fly them and hope for the best.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
My new 2019 Range Rover to a used tatty old 747... hmm let me think???
Otherwise, I have only had a courtesy car on its routine annual service so three.
your 2019 car has had 3 annual services???
flygirl68 and M17SST like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Almost the whole fleet is old! It averages out at about 16 years. The 744 are over 20 years old. I can't think anyone here would dare own and drive a car of that age as their daily runaround.
Current car 15.5 yrs and no intention to change it, previous car retired at 21 yrs and that was only because of scrappage scheme incentive plus too large for Mrs to park easily, previous car killed at 16 yrs by a lorry but had a second life in local technical college. All different manufacturers.
All very reliable, choose your brand on quality and nothing wrong with old cars.
icegirl likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I wonder if Alex Cruz will get a courtesy car to drive to the job centre... No more news on this topic by the way, should we consider it fake news and close the thread?
aidy likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
Let's face it. The old planes and cars look better.
They have style.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Deltus
BA's monopoly of LHR allowed it to install Subari Impreza exhaust systems without impunity is my guess
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
Forgive me this long post. This is what I experienced myself during my flights with BA. I used to fly to Cairo a lot and once the cabin crew in front of my face was talking about other staff and that the new ones were screwed because of their tarrifs and that they wouldn't earn money when not flying.

The way they discussed matters left a bit of a bitter taste. Also rolling eyes behind passengers who in their eyes acted funny was a bit of a bitter taste. This whole pay for everything feels like EasyJet and not the BA I came to love. I'm by all means no frequent flier such as the most of you but the flair and respect got lost in the last few years.

If BA stops behaving like EasyJet and uses their USP to go back to old days I'd be a good start in my opinion. The whole change of we need to compete with EasyJet is unnecessary I think.

I hope that things will get better. Does anyone want to add something or correct me?
graffiti likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Prospero
BA's monopoly of LHR allowed it to install Subari Impreza exhaust systems without impunity is my guess
Might I suggest “Dominant Position”.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aidy
your 2019 car has had 3 annual services???
I was referring to my old one which I had for 3 years.
aidy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.