Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA263 (LHR-RUH) Rejected take off today (did anyone experience a RTO?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA263 (LHR-RUH) Rejected take off today (did anyone experience a RTO?)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I experienced an RTO flying from Darwin on Silkair in April. Pilot had a warning that one of the rear doors wasn't shut!

Checked by CC, and on our way shortly after.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by Chris_G
I've never experienced a RTO myself, but dear God it must be scary if it happens just before V1.

... I was treated to what seemed like a ridiculously long take-off roll at BKK on the way back to FRA in an old Lufthansa A340.
Before I took my first A340 flight from ZRH to BKK on LX I was warned how long it takes for the 4 hairdryers to get that bird into the air.
I can assure you there was not a lot of runway left at ZRH (RWY16, 3.7km long) when the bird deigned to leave the ground.Only had one go around, GLA - LHR, in January on 27L, never had an RTO.
Chris_G likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
No RTO but a recent go around on an A380 coming into HKG - crossed the runway threshold and then a gust of wind caught us - the speed and ease at which we went back up made me realise how agile the A380s can be.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, DL DM
I've had a few go-arounds but nothing too exciting. My only RTO was on an Air Botnia Saab 340 from Turku in Finland to (I think) Karlstad in Sweden. Engines wound up all the way and we were a good distance down the runway before slamming the anchors on and coming to a stop. There followed a rather lengthy explanation in Finnish from the driver (lasted a good few mins as I recall). The english translation was a bit shorter: "the engine is broken".
testycal and saccosekk like this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Checked the Op Logs for 26/08 and not a peep about a RTO. However VS001 aborted take off yesterday (27/08) due to the cargo door indicator being on. It only got mentioned because it was at a time of high regulation due to weather and it didn't help the already significant delays.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Two take-off rolls that stick in the mind as I thought we were a fireball at the end of the runway for sure:
  1. ...
  2. Only a month ago I was treated to what seemed like a ridiculously long take-off roll at BKK on the way back to FRA in an old Lufthansa A340. Cheapo flight (Euro 370 SXB to BKK return) so rammed full of passengers & cargo; we were heavy for sure. The aircraft really started to shudder & thump with each paving-joint on the runway; it didn't seem to be accelerating at all towards the end of the roll. Thought the pilot would never call rotate and I simply can't imagine there was any room left to do an RTO. ...
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Before I took my first A340 flight from ZRH to BKK on LX I was warned how long it takes for the 4 hairdryers to get that bird into the air.[left]I can assure you there was not a lot of runway left at ZRH (RWY16, 3.7km long) when the bird deigned to leave the ground.
I thought it was well known that those 340s only ever gained altitude because the curvature of the earth meant that the surface would gradually fall away from the aircraft?
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Checked the Op Logs for 26/08 and not a peep about a RTO. However VS001 aborted take off yesterday (27/08) due to the cargo door indicator being on. It only got mentioned because it was at a time of high regulation due to weather and it didn't help the already significant delays.
Oh that's interesting. I swear the plane was for a few min at the holding point, came on the runway, started to T/O and came abruptly to a hold on the runway approx. next to T2. Then a follow me car came and guided the plane towards the apron behind T2 (behind the satellite terminal) where it was parked for 30min (I did not have a proper line of sight though).

(I also saw another 747 going around at about 2.45pm so a rather interesting day)
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
1 RTO

GLA - LHR on BA in April. As we were going down the runway the captain stopped the aircraft and pulled off onto a taxiway and an engineer came on board, Reason was a hydraulic failure warning.

8 Go Arounds:

5 were into UIO (Quito) in Ecuador from Lima on Latam, Wind-shear warnings one of which was a touch and go, we diverted to GYE Guayaquil after the second and 4th attempt for more fuel then a training captain came on and told the cabin to prepare for a hard landing and it really was as the plane hovered over the runway and just dropped, took around 5 hours all in . I have the Flight Radar tape recording somewhere

2 Go Arounds was the infamous BA Gib do where we ended up in Malaga

1 was in DCA for Weather 3 years back
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Duck1981
A 744 made her take off run but they rejected after say 15% of runway use their t/o. Obviously they have departed now 30min later so was no big issue.

I am wondering if anyone would know the reason? And has anyone of you already experienced a RTO - I have done 10 go arounds but never an RTO.
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Oh that's interesting. I swear the plane was for a few min at the holding point, came on the runway, started to T/O and came abruptly to a hold on the runway approx. next to T2. Then a follow me car came and guided the plane towards the apron behind T2 (behind the satellite terminal) where it was parked for 30min (I did not have a proper line of sight though).
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/f...ba263#21d984f8 gives some more information. The aircraft taxied from the western side of T5B (EF gives the consistent information that it was B36) to the north and then to the east. It lined up on 27R at about 1312Z, trundled along some of the runway at what looks like normal taxi speed (low 20s) and then turned off the runway. It then sat somewhere near T2 for about 20 minutes (FR24's playback resolution isn't that good), before taxiing south to line up on 27L at about 1410Z and then taking off (presumably because the runways had switched at 1500L as usual?).

If this wasn't logged as an RTO, the speeds suggest that they simply found something wrong when lining up, so taxied forward and got off the runway before getting the problem fixed in fairly short order.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL

(I also saw another 747 going around at about 2.45pm so a rather interesting day)
I'm not saying it didn't happen; just that it didn't impact the operation enough to be logged.
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Ironically there were three abandoned take-offs yesterday, all within about 30 mins and low-speed.

BA, Virgin and Air New Zealand.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Before I took my first A340 flight from ZRH to BKK on LX I was warned how long it takes for the 4 hairdryers to get that bird into the air.
I can assure you there was not a lot of runway left at ZRH (RWY16, 3.7km long) when the bird deigned to leave the ground.Only had one go around, GLA - LHR, in January on 27L, never had an RTO.
I can imagine. The same happened to me on an IB 340 from Bogota. The only time I have ever gripped the armrest. 😂😂
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
1 RTO - Asian Spirit Manila to Caticlan (MPM for those in the know!) in 1996. Sharp left turn off the runway at high speed, back to terminal, disembarked. Some degree of Chinese whispers (Tagalog whispers?) as to what had happened but the common belief was that the pilot couldn't pull the yoke back when he reached take-off speed - not sure this is true but it felt reasonable at the time. Reboarded an hour later just as an engineer was leaving the cabin carrying a large spanner / wrench. Took off again with no issues.

2 go arounds. Most memorable was in 2006 on a very heavy Lufthansa 747 from SGN to BKK, diverted to Pattaya (UTP - another rare one!) due to thunderstorms in Don Muang. The pilot had already warned us that he'd have to hit the brakes hard on landing due to the weight and the shortish runway but a very late go around instead. A very deadpan announcement that as we were the first plane to land due to the diversion, they'd obviously not told everyone at the airport and there was someone parked on the runway.

1 hybrid / other. A DC-3 in 1995 from PZO to CAJ (full marks if you get both of those - answer below!) Took off, left turn, left turn, left turn, landed. Flight attendant climbed to the front of the cabin (a DC-3 so when parked there's something like a 30 degree angle in the cabin!) and flicked through the book of announcements frowning with each announcement she rejected. She finally settled on "Apologies for the inconvenience but we have had to return to the airport due to the wrong type of cloud". The half dozen engineers who ran to the plane and looked intently at the landing gear must have just been a coincidence.

Happy days...

* Cuidad Guyana to Canaima.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
my one rto was on my first journey as a baec member.l in 2008 Takeoff from SIN in a heavily laden 747 on WT window seat on LHS I saw flames coming out of the no. 1 engine and then a rejected takeoff with very hard braking. I mentioned to CC I had seen the flames and got interviewed by the captain. Very exciting at the time. The fan blades were intersecting with the casing. Engine knackered so delayed a day and then got upgraded to PE on the way home.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
I wasn’t on this but here’s a rejected take off that happened today being discussed on the AA forum:
120 knots to zero on aborted takeoff just now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.