Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA263 (LHR-RUH) Rejected take off today (did anyone experience a RTO?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA263 (LHR-RUH) Rejected take off today (did anyone experience a RTO?)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Duck1981
has anyone of you already experienced a RTO...
Yes, some years ago, on a BA 767 departing IAD. We were accelerating toward V1 when the crew suddenly retarded the engines and stood on the brakes HARD. We skidded to a halt on the runway and stood there for a minute or two, then a pilot came on the tannoy and apologized, said they had seen some thrust behavior in #1 engine "we didn't quite like," and we were returning to gate. As this was not too long after the Lauda Air loss, which was blamed on a thrust reverser malfunction, we were quite happy to let the mechanics have their way.

We continued on to LHR eventually, about three hours late.

Originally Posted by Chris_G
I've never experienced a RTO myself, but dear God it must be scary if it happens just before V1.
It gets your attention, how quickly the aircraft can be slowed / stopped when asked. My seatbelt dug hard into the flesh around my hips.

Last edited by BearX220; Aug 26, 2019 at 7:12 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
OK, OK,

I don't have any statistical evidence at all...but as Mr BingBongBoy suggests (an experienced flyer by the sounds of it, and who seems (I trust) to agree with me...), there are just certain routes that BA prefers to place the aircraft that both have a tendency to "go technical"...and are not quite as up to scratch on the cabin.

and (again) without statistical evidence I admit, that these are routes that tend to be ones where there is both less competition for service and aren't as high profile...

I'm not looking for a dust-up as these postings are just a bit of fun...Chris
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:17 pm

I have also only had 1 RTO it was at EGKH, as we neared take off speed there was a loud bang under the aircraft and a judder in the nose wheel, the captain aborted the take off and returned to the apron. After discussion with the ground crew (!) it turned out that we had hit a newly cut grove in the runway and that the aircraft was undamaged.

The aircraft was a MS880B and the captain was wytco0
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Flyertalk Courtesy :
If you say that a BA plane or subfleet seems risky, dangerous or unreliable, then you’re really expected to cite some evidence to back it up.
Well the BA81's (LHR-ACC) on-time performance is pretty abysmal. It's in the bottom percentile, late just about 7 times out of 10...

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...ting/BA/81/LHR
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
One go-around and no RTO in about 400 sectors, I almost feel like I’m missing out.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Quite a few go-arounds due to the weather conditions here in Indonesia but never an RTO. We did have a long landing into a short strip once where we realllllly got on the brakes hard and I suspect that must be a similar experience to an RTO. It was quite shocking how fast the deceleration was compared with normal.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks for all your great contributions so far
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
6 years ago on Viva aerobus in Mexico City. 23 year old 737-200. We were close to V1 and then pilot slammed on brakes. We pulled off runway and sat there for 10 mins. Not a word from the pilot or crew. Not a word. Then we taxied back to runway and went again. We got airborne and just as we did the aircraft dropped massively during the climb. People started screaming and crying. Again nothing from the pilot until 20 mins before landing. Last time I ever flew with them. Took return leg on another airline and haven't touched them with a barge pole since.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: BAEC
The RUH sector is always given the most dodgy 744's. Captive market for expats doing the LHR run to and from Saudi...as I used to...
Nice story, but fake news. No 747 is dedicated to a particular route. The yesterdays BA263 and todays BA 263 are both operated by refitted Super High J 747s that have just returned from JFK....so unless JFK and RUH are both "captive markets"....
IMH likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by shefgab
Nice story, but fake news. No 747 is dedicated to a particular route. The yesterdays BA263 and todays BA 263 are both operated by refitted Super High J 747s that have just returned from JFK....so unless JFK and RUH are both "captive markets"....
True story, it happened in August 2013 and was carried by the media. Fake conclusion maybe; it might be my prejudice...what's the story on the Ghana sector reliability then...??

Good thing I don't run an airline, as some aircraft are always likely to be more scruffy and less reliable than others...and the fleet managers will know which. So I'd always bung them on the less important routes.

Anyway we digress, as this thread is about bowel clearing moments due to RTO's ...Chris

Last edited by Chris_G; Aug 26, 2019 at 6:26 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:53 pm
Suspended

I've never experienced a RTO myself, but dear God it must be scary if it happens just before V1.

Two take-off rolls that stick in the mind as I thought we were a fireball at the end of the runway for sure:
  1. Late 1980's and I'm on board an Air Zambia DC10 out of Lusaka to London. Still in my twenties and was going to live for ever...God alone how much runway was left before we left the ground. I thought we were going to drive across Africa back to London.
  2. Only a month ago I was treated to what seemed like a ridiculously long take-off roll at BKK on the way back to FRA in an old Lufthansa A340. Cheapo flight (Euro 370 SXB to BKK return) so rammed full of passengers & cargo; we were heavy for sure. The aircraft really started to shudder & thump with each paving-joint on the runway; it didn't seem to be accelerating at all towards the end of the roll. Thought the pilot would never call rotate and I simply can't imagine there was any room left to do an RTO. The flight made worse since this was just after the Iranians had shot down the American Global Hawk drone and Trump was talking about having a go. The run up the south coast of the Gulf past Oman, Qatar, Bahrain and Saudi was no fun at all...and I was glad to see we were past it on the map.
Only had one go around and that was about a year ago on a BSL to LHR with BA. Mr Mark Carney himself was onboard and since we departed late I assumed the flight crew wanted to make up time and got a bit ahead of themselves on the approach to LHR with aircraft separation. Once we landed the Captain stood outside the cockpit to see everyone (and Mr Carney) off the aircraft...

Oh, all the old war stories...Chris
Your premise on #2 isn’t correct. A rejected take off is always possible until you reach V1, at which point you continue the take off.

Once you reached V1 (which you wouldn’t know exactly when that occurred), you could have lost an engine and still gotten off just fine.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
I would imagine that the British Airways entire fleet are maintained to a EASA compliant standard that shouldn't deter anyone from flying them, but it also wouldn't surprise me if the aircraft with uncared for interior are intentionally used on less profitable routes where possible.

I know that in some countries/national airlines they actually have specific aircraft that operate to the US/Europe because other aircraft in their fleet would likely fail a ramp check. One Asian airline (Philippine Airlines) used to operate a sub-fleet of US registration aircraft to fly to the US.

As for rejected take offs and go arounds, I've experienced a few, but as someone who holds a Private Pilots License and have a smidgen of aviation knowledge it doesn't particularly concern me.

Last edited by Yachtman; Aug 26, 2019 at 9:15 pm
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Only happened to me once in more than 5,000 flights - Sept 92 on Concorde out of LHR! It was scary!!!
Old Aug 26, 2019, 8:24 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
PS. Just remembered that we also lost an engine mid-Atlantic on the same flight and continued subsonic - but that's a whole other story!!
cgtechuk likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK * A Gold, Qatar Gold
Just one RTO but never to be forgotten as it was on Concorde in September 1999. We seemed to be a long way through the take off roll when we suddenly stopped, taxied off the runway where we were told something hadn’t started correctly (I seem to remember it might have been an after burner but could easily be very wrong). Eventually taken back to the terminal and put into a spare �� Concorde and took off almost 4 hrs late. Sadly don’t remember too much of the flight due to large amounts of champagne in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.