Wiki Posts
Search

Hand baggage only - what if no space?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various airline, hotel and credit card programs
Hand baggage only - what if no space?

I am looking at the return basic economy fare for YUL-LHR-NCE. As BA Silver, I can select the seats at no charge in advance.
The only potential issue may be bin space for carry on luggage, since my usual boarding Group 2 would not apply.
I usually have just one size-compliant roller board suitcase, overall much less than what many people often try to bring on board.
If there is no bin space after boarding, do they gate check this luggage at no charge to the final destination?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Vaclav
I am looking at the return basic economy fare for YUL-LHR-NCE. As BA Silver, I can select the seats at no charge in advance.
The only potential issue may be bin space for carry on luggage, since my usual boarding Group 2 would not apply.
I usually have just one size-compliant roller board suitcase, overall much less than what many people often try to bring on board.
If there is no bin space after boarding, do they gate check this luggage at no charge to the final destination?
Why would this not apply ? Based on your status, you will get to board in Group 2.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Even on a HBO fare you still get group 2 on your boarding pass so I personally wouldn't be too concerned.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
You should get all of your regular silver benefits including boarding group 2 with a basic fare (just no hold baggage).
Yes they would gate check for free, but unsure about final destination, I'm sure someone else will be able to clarify that.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Your bag would not be taken off you in YUL, if it is at LHR it will be hold loaded at no charge.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The won't be a problem on the YUL sector (presumably a 787), particularly if your bag is inside BA's measurements since the middle overheads are often only half full.

For LHR-NCE, if it's a very full flight they may ask for volunteers at the gate, the bag would be carried free of charge in the hold and returned on the carousel after passport control.

Make sure your telephone number is in the booking, they sometimes send out text messages inviting you to check the bag free anyway.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:01 am

One thing I've started doing since travelling HBO is always have any essentials ready to grab at a moment's notice. It's unlikely that I'm going to be asked to check my bag, but if it did happen, then I can pull out my phone, laptop, keys etc in a second.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
One thing I've started doing since travelling HBO is always have any essentials ready to grab at a moment's notice. It's unlikely that I'm going to be asked to check my bag, but if it did happen, then I can pull out my phone, laptop, keys etc in a second.
For me the worry on a long-haul like that would always be a change of clothes in case my luggage doesn't make it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.