FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Hand baggage only - what if no space? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1982922-hand-baggage-only-what-if-no-space.html)

Vaclav Aug 14, 2019 6:52 am

Hand baggage only - what if no space?

I am looking at the return basic economy fare for YUL-LHR-NCE. As BA Silver, I can select the seats at no charge in advance.
The only potential issue may be bin space for carry on luggage, since my usual boarding Group 2 would not apply.
I usually have just one size-compliant roller board suitcase, overall much less than what many people often try to bring on board.
If there is no bin space after boarding, do they gate check this luggage at no charge to the final destination?

JamesKidd Aug 14, 2019 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Vaclav (Post 31414846)
I am looking at the return basic economy fare for YUL-LHR-NCE. As BA Silver, I can select the seats at no charge in advance.
The only potential issue may be bin space for carry on luggage, since my usual boarding Group 2 would not apply.
I usually have just one size-compliant roller board suitcase, overall much less than what many people often try to bring on board.
If there is no bin space after boarding, do they gate check this luggage at no charge to the final destination?

Why would this not apply ? Based on your status, you will get to board in Group 2.

PETER01 Aug 14, 2019 6:56 am

Even on a HBO fare you still get group 2 on your boarding pass so I personally wouldn't be too concerned.

S_W_S Aug 14, 2019 6:57 am

You should get all of your regular silver benefits including boarding group 2 with a basic fare (just no hold baggage).
Yes they would gate check for free, but unsure about final destination, I'm sure someone else will be able to clarify that.

Can I help you Aug 14, 2019 6:58 am

Your bag would not be taken off you in YUL, if it is at LHR it will be hold loaded at no charge.

corporate-wage-slave Aug 14, 2019 7:48 am

The won't be a problem on the YUL sector (presumably a 787), particularly if your bag is inside BA's measurements since the middle overheads are often only half full.

For LHR-NCE, if it's a very full flight they may ask for volunteers at the gate, the bag would be carried free of charge in the hold and returned on the carousel after passport control.

Make sure your telephone number is in the booking, they sometimes send out text messages inviting you to check the bag free anyway.

windowontheAside Aug 14, 2019 8:01 am

One thing I've started doing since travelling HBO is always have any essentials ready to grab at a moment's notice. It's unlikely that I'm going to be asked to check my bag, but if it did happen, then I can pull out my phone, laptop, keys etc in a second.

alex67500 Aug 14, 2019 9:07 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside (Post 31415088)
One thing I've started doing since travelling HBO is always have any essentials ready to grab at a moment's notice. It's unlikely that I'm going to be asked to check my bag, but if it did happen, then I can pull out my phone, laptop, keys etc in a second.

For me the worry on a long-haul like that would always be a change of clothes in case my luggage doesn't make it...