Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fluffymitten
BA FLY was down for most of Wednesday 7 August with multiple delays and cancellations.

Service was restored and operational at start of play on Thursday 8 August, until...

1451 BST BA reported issues with BA FLY and reverted to using JFE.
1521 BST BA advised all short haul aircraft have been grounded in/out of outstations due to the loss of the FLY system
1555 BST FLY reported as stable
Print Wikipost

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BBC News has been broadcasting vox pop interviews with passengers at Heathrow, some of whom were in tears over ruined holiday plans, all saying that BA has offered them almost no help at all. Whatever the truth of this, it's quickly turning into a PR disaster.
Silver Fox and kaizenflying like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Schwann
Neither Bodrum nor Gatwick are in the USA thus impossible to get SSSS.
(Bordeaux)
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Amex Plat, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Misco60
BBC News has been broadcasting vox pop interviews with passengers at Heathrow, some of whom were in tears over ruined holiday plans, all saying that BA has offered them almost no help at all. Whatever the truth of this, it's quickly turning into a PR disaster.
And with potential BALPA strikes, could end up being a real bloodbath - interesting to see if/when AC/WW appear.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alex67500
(Bordeaux)
I even searched for BOD on Google and found out it was Bordeux and still typed Bodrum. Either way not America!
alex67500 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
Every time I scroll to the bottom of this thread, the “fHave you been delayed ? Claim here!” advert pops up.
Second flight canx, now departing 2027. Now, where’s that “longest time spent in lounge” thread?
I believe it was @eightblack 's JFK adventures
BlueThroughCrimp and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
Neither Bodrum nor Gatwick are in the USA thus impossible to get SSSS.
Nor is Bordeaux
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Got to love this.

TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:19 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by travellingowl
Were you able to print / download boarding passes? - I've checked in for LGW-TPA tomorrow but it will not let me download boarding passes (says 'Boarding pass print not available'). Not the end of the world for us as we have to visit a desk anyway to drop off checked bags.
I do apologise - I have only just seen this. Yes, I was able to download them - and now I have printed them off. I waited a bit for things to cool down as I imagined that the site could even crash with all the flight changes that people are having to do
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Has BA announced any cancellations for tomorrow? Not seeing any but I'm sure my morning flight to MAN would be a candidate
I would suggest the train but a Pendolino lost its Pantograph this morning which screwed up everything in and out of London Euston until mid afternoon!

There is always Megabus :-)
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:27 am

Just to add to the misery an LHR & LCY - EDI have both been diverted to GLA due to weather in EDI, don't know if this will have a further knock on effect.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:35 am

Still here, almost 7 hours. Another glass? Oh ok then. There’s zero chance of me driving home if my flight gets cancelled again.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Samolyot

One day ruins your holiday? Buck up, snowflake!
That’s a cheap jibe.

Some holidays will involve onward domestic / regional connections from the initial place of arrival ; connections which could prove difficult to rearrange at short notice, at such a busy time of year. They might be starting a long train trip, a service with infrequent departures. They could be joining a safari which operates only a weekly basis. Or, as already mentioned, they might be connecting to a cruise.

So perhaps not the best of comments given the potential ramifications of even a single day’s delay for many travellers.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Samolyot

One day ruins your holiday? Buck up, snowflake!
Not everyone is as experienced with these types of eventualities as we are on FT. The cruise connection example is something that would be particularly difficult. Most people wouldn't think of building in buffer days.
Buster, Sealink, ttama and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 11:45 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
The situation seems to be resolved so a tangential remark might not cause me to have my wrists slapped by a mod.

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
When will British Airways/other companies learn? Cheap IT costs more than Good IT
Not sure this is true.
Complex systems have complex problems and you can only test for the issues you can foresee.
Spending more time (not cheap) on system design and testing doesn't guarantee a lack of problems in deployment i.e. 'Good'.
One of the major causes of issues is some well meaning person 'fixing' a minor issue in a deployed system to increase quality but inadvertently causing much bigger problems e.g. the NatWest cashpoint issues.
What you really need is to prioritise simpler IT over complex IT and that doesn't necessarily cost any more.

Hire fewer people but ones that know what they are doing.
Less is more.
Don't hack at it.

In reality there is business system psychosis that results in the opposite of all these things because nobody involved really cares about the system, they are all locally optimising for their own reward (either psychological or financial).
So sadly Mr Cruz is not to blame.
You will find it hard to find any individual or organisation specifically to blame.
If there is any real blame it's on human nature.
Andriyko and Sealink like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As things seem to be stabilising, albeit with many unfortunate people left in its wake ...

OLCI. Some of today’s issues related to inability to OLCI. I was struck by my recent JER-LBA on Jet2, where you can OLCI for ALL pax, BOTH ways, at T-28 days with just one click. ISTR our solitary Aer Lingus had a similar lead time.

I guess there’s a good commercial reason for BA (and others) doing T-24 hours, but it does leave the carrier a hostage to fortune.
Silver Fox and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.