Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:59 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: fluffymitten
Wiki Link
BA FLY was down for most of Wednesday 7 August with multiple delays and cancellations.

Service was restored and operational at start of play on Thursday 8 August, until...

1451 BST BA reported issues with BA FLY and reverted to using JFE.
1521 BST BA advised all short haul aircraft have been grounded in/out of outstations due to the loss of the FLY system
1555 BST FLY reported as stable
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 7, 19, 9:06 am
  #196  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 27,772
Originally Posted by rapidex View Post
LHR must have run out of gates to put the inbounds, hence the diversions.
Yes, and many flights have been held at outstations for the same reason.
KARFA is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:15 am
  #197  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Manchester, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 15
Flying from LAX-LHR (BA280) in a few hours so looking forward to whatever drama occurs on the landing (or where we land) and the subsequent travel up to MAN. I couldn't use OLCI at all last night and just assumed like last time it was due to a plane change/upgrade or SSSS. Everytime i logged it it couldnt retrieve my account, this morning it does but website couldn't check me in. The app worked fine and downloaded boarding passes fine.
ginger_lord is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:45 am
  #198  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bombay
Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Posts: 377
We are moving quickly into a society thatís more and more IT dependent. Itís part of the basics. Without IT, we canít do our job, pay our bills or get our groceries. It needs to work. I grew up partly in Africa and can do fine without electricity, but water is a bit of a challenge. The difference was that we knew they (water & electricity) were unreliable and planned thereafter. Our modern societies do not. These days they are both dependent upon IT systems working.perhaps itís time we started preparing better - and taking the cost into account.
RoyalSwazi is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:54 am
  #199  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by BAEC View Post
You will not be allowed to disembark. Either the Captain disemabarks all passengers at LGW or no-one.


Well I can happily report I have escaped G-ZBKI at Gatwick along with about 20 interpid travellers and am on the bus to the Terminal. Thought it best to bail rather then fly up to Heathrow gawd knows when!
N1120A, brunos, our_kid and 10 others like this.
yojimbo26 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:58 am
  #200  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Manchester, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 15
Well my BA1394 flight tomorrow (8th) is now asking me whether i want to refund or rebook which I'd love to do, but my flight from LAX->LHR today is still showing as scheduled even though the aircraft is still at LHR having been delayed for 6+hrs so I guess my flight will be delayed/cancelled...

Edit: Apparently the outbound flight did leave roughly on time, its just flightradar not being updated:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba281
but this shows it enroute:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...035Z/EGLL/KLAX

Last edited by ginger_lord; Aug 7, 19 at 10:10 am
ginger_lord is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 9:59 am
  #201  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Somewhere in the Air
Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Posts: 554
Originally Posted by yojimbo26 View Post
Well I can happily report I have escaped G-ZBKI at Gatwick along with about 20 interpid travellers and am on the bus to the Terminal. Thought it best to bail rather then fly up to Heathrow gawd knows when!
Well done you.
yojimbo26 likes this.
BAEC is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:00 am
  #202  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Londinium
Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Posts: 274
Our Captain said that the BT Internet connection on which their IT runs failed and is the cause of all the disruption! Almost unbelievable
BoeBus is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:01 am
  #203  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 43,271
Originally Posted by yojimbo26 View Post
Well I can happily report I have escaped G-ZBKI at Gatwick along with about 20 interpid travellers and am on the bus to the Terminal. Thought it best to bail rather then fly up to Heathrow gawd knows when!
Yes, I going to suggest that while what was suggested earlier - namely it's all out or none out - is generally correct, in the case of diversions to LGW BA captains do sometimes let HBO passengers out after a bit of pleading. The reason why this isn't a great idea is when it turns out that someone who declares themselves to be HBO actually has a few things in hold, and a few other concerns along these lines. At some point it may be that the flight may end up terminated at the diversion airport.
Bellerophon, wrp96 and yojimbo26 like this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:02 am
  #204  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 2,209
Originally Posted by BoeBus View Post
Our Captain said that the BT Internet connection on which their IT runs failed and is the cause of all the disruption! Almost unbelievable
It's guaranteed that a 3rd party will be found responsible and all fingers pointed in that direction, however I don't think anyone would believe the BT story.
Steve_ZA is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:05 am
  #205  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: London
Posts: 6,227
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
It is worth noting that Virgin Atlantic is in the process of lauching a major campaign to block BA's expansion with the 3rd runway. I was chatting to Shai Weiss about it a few weeks ago, and he already started dropping it in to every interview and speech he gives. At present, BA believes it is legally entitled to 50% of the new slots that will be created, which will simply mean BA closing Gatwick and moving everything across. Virgin believes there should be a different method of allocation.
Your post is not related to the disruption today, but even if it was I think you're not correct. BA will keep LGW, LCY and LHR regardless of the third runway.
Aus_Mal is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:13 am
  #206  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 43,271
Rebooking onto OAL (Other Airlines) revised update for 16:45 hrs, which is update 4.

The following rebooking is allowed, if your flight is cancelled today or tomorrow (Thursday 8 August) and you have a BA 125 tickets - including Avios / redemptions. It can be rebooked by Contact Centres (which used to be very unusual outside Joint Business and oneworld routes), as well as by airport staff

- SAS (contrary to the previous discussion)
- Air France
- Air Baltic
- Loganair
- KLM
- Philippine Airlines
- Luxair
- Gulf Air
- Brussels Airlines
- AIr Malaysia
- Air Mauritius
- Qatar
- Air Malta
- El Al
- Lufthansa Group (so including Swiss and Austrian) - but no later than 2 days later than the original date for some reason
- Latam
- Iberia
- Icelandair
Other airlines may also be possible if the above doesn't work, but BA has specific agreements on the above.

These are reactive guidelines, so you won't get rebooked proactively on to these flights.
alex67500 likes this.
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:17 am
  #207  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MYF/CMA/SAN/YYZ/YKF
Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Posts: 5,443
Here I was thinking we got SSSS for our BOD-LGW tomorrow. Check in worked, but app BPs wouldn't come through. Hopefully, they sort this quickly or get us on an airline that is competent.
N1120A is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:19 am
  #208  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes, I going to suggest that while what was suggested earlier - namely it's all out or none out - is generally correct, in the case of diversions to LGW BA captains do sometimes let HBO passengers out after a bit of pleading. The reason why this isn't a great idea is when it turns out that someone who declares themselves to be HBO actually has a few things in hold, and a few other concerns along these lines. At some point it may be that the flight may end up terminated at the diversion airport.
I did chat with the Captain who we being very polite and communicative with the PAX, I think he pulled a few strings to get us the bus to the terminal, sounded like a bit of a battle.

I am already wizzing my way to London on Gatwick Express, that turned out the be the fastest I have ever egressed Gatwick.
yojimbo26 is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:23 am
  #209  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Lost Angeles
Programs: BA/American
Posts: 45
BA and computers doesn’t seem to be a match made in heaven.
Bar Operator and wrp96 like this.
Samolyot is offline  
Old Aug 7, 19, 10:24 am
  #210  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Bronze, Accor Gold, Hertz 5 Star, Global Entry
Posts: 96
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Rebooking onto OAL (Other Airlines) revised update for 16:45 hrs, which is update 4.

The following rebooking is allowed, if your flight is cancelled today or tomorrow (Thursday 8 August) and you have a BA 125 tickets - including Avios / redemptions. It can be rebooked by Contact Centres (which used to be very unusual outside Joint Business and oneworld routes), as well as by airport staff

- SAS (contrary to the previous discussion)
- Air France
- Air Baltic
- Loganair
- KLM
- Philippine Airlines
- Luxair
- Gulf Air
- Brussels Airlines
- AIr Malaysia
- Air Mauritius
- Qatar
- Air Malta
- El Al
- Lufthansa Group (so including Swiss and Austrian) - but no later than 2 days later than the original date for some reason
- Latam
- Iberia
- Icelandair
Other airlines may also be possible if the above doesn't work, but BA has specific agreements on the above.

These are reactive guidelines, so you won't get rebooked proactively on to these flights.
Just a question regarding this (I'm not affected) - say for example FCO cancelled, doesn't look like Alitalia is on this list so no direct route - would the ticket be rerouted with a connection for example KLM LHR-AMS-FCO, or is it direct flights only??
balowlyblue is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: