Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: fluffymitten
BA FLY was down for most of Wednesday 7 August with multiple delays and cancellations.

Service was restored and operational at start of play on Thursday 8 August, until...

1451 BST BA reported issues with BA FLY and reverted to using JFE.
1521 BST BA advised all short haul aircraft have been grounded in/out of outstations due to the loss of the FLY system
1555 BST FLY reported as stable
Print Wikipost

Wed 7 Aug - BA systems down; flights disrupted / cancelled

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by BAEC
BA728 was the LHR-GVA flight this morning that was cancelled. I think you meant BA278 SJC-LHR which is now at LGW.
BA132 is at CWL (Cardiff) and not BRS
Indeed - changed OP. Thanks for that!
BAEC likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
And at the moment pissing rain as well. That’s not going to help the situation...
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
My boss was travelling on BA1439 from EDI to LHR. Originally should have landed at 10:50am. It actually landed at 13:50 and they are still on the plane. It's now been suggested that they'll go to T4 and be taken to T5 by bus but nothing has actually happened.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal
A reminder that BA's 2018 annual report identifies the following risk:

I hope investors and analysts starting increasing the pressure on the airline over this, as at the moment I would feel more confident booking a time critical short haul trip on U2 than on BA (for various reasons, one of which is the various IT meltdowns).
Until it starts impacting customer decisions (i.e. revenue) the analysts and the markets won’t give a stuff. In fact, they are more likely to express concern about any capex on new IT.

There’s very interesting data on customer inertia in the banking market, showing a reluctance to change supplier no matter how badly they are treated by their bank, it’s very apparent the same phenomena exists with airline customers.

Last edited by Kgmm77; Aug 7, 2019 at 8:31 am
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:26 am

LHR must have run out of gates to put the inbounds, hence the diversions.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Baeed on previous experience it feels like this is close to the tipping point of when a intra-day isolated incident with limited knock-on impact turns into multi-day chaos with aircraft, staff and customers in the wrong place and the tents pop up outside T5.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by rapidex
That plus the weather passing through probably not helping. ... Correction .. basource
British Airways B787-8 G-ZBJF BA132 Cardiff-Wales Diversion.

Aug 7, 2019
British Airways Boeing 787-8 G-ZBJF operating BA132 Jeddah – London Heathrow diverted to Cardiff-Wales this afternoon due to lack of available facilities at London Heathrow following IT problems this morning.

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 7, 2019 at 8:38 am
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird676
That is not correct. The SIP was not intended as an interim and then to rebuild all the direct connections afterwards, it was the master plan for all future integrations.

Yes, it is a single point of failure and has repeatedly failed. The answer to that, as has already been stated, is to ensure it has the resilience required for the job it is implemented to do which is clearly hasn't.
Out of interest, are there any problems with (lack of) ownership of the SIP? It's easy to imagine no single person/team feeling responsible for a component which is "in the middle" of everything.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
Makes me glad I stopped flying BA.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
They have a BA747 near T4 parked. If it continues like this we can take a picture from 20 years ago. They could move the Concorde too.
so yes as far as I can see almost all gates are taken around T5 complex
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Until it starts impacting customer decisions (i.e. revenue) the analysts and the markets won’t give a stuff. In fact, they are more likely to express concern about any capex on new IT.

There’s very interesting data on customer inertia in the banking market, showing a reluctance to change supplier no matter how badly they are treated by their bank, it’s very apparent the same phenomena exists with airline customers.
Fair point. And I can't point to any data suggesting this is starting to happen. However today and previous incidents have been noticed by people in my circle of friends who wouldn't normally take an interest. The BBC issuing a breaking news alert on the app this morning will have contributed to that. However for most U2 would be their first choice anyway (on perceived price and the ease of access to LGW versus LHR) so they are not customers directly lost, but just put further away from being gained.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I do feel for all those affected by the chaos today. Have been hearing some tales of woe and despair from various radio vox pops recorded at LHR.

As far as I can, I avoid flying from and to the UK during the summer school holiday period, but am obviously very aware that this is simply not a feasible option for many, many folk.

This sort of disruption can happen in any month ; but in August the difficulties and knock-on effects will inevitably be ramped up.

Hope it begins to clear before long.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hi from Gatwick

Have been sat at Gatwick for a hour our so, inbound from San Jose on BA278 we were diverted here as Heathrow was full. The 787 is being gassed up to fly back to Heathrow at some point.

I am handbagge only and live in London so still hoping I can get off here. The door is open and there are stairs if it weren't raining I might make a break for it ;-)
alex67500 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by yojimbo26
Have been sat at Gatwick for a hour our so, inbound from San Jose on BA278 we were diverted here as Heathrow was full. The 787 is being gassed up to fly back to Heathrow at some point.

I am handbagge only and live in London so still hoping I can get off here. The door is open and there are stairs if it weren't raining I might make a break for it ;-)
You will not be allowed to disembark. Either the Captain disemabarks all passengers at LGW or no-one.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 9:04 am

Every time I scroll to the bottom of this thread, the “fHave you been delayed ? Claim here!” advert pops up.
Second flight canx, now departing 2027. Now, where’s that “longest time spent in lounge” thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.