Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delay due to a needed software update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
What’s a

Originally Posted by T8191
Typong Pole
??
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The mods should probably put all the irrelevant posts into a new thread somewhere obscure since there is clearly pent-up demand!
Mods have been notified to act as they see best 😊

The OP is due to arrive in BOS in just over 2 hours.
I hope the side topics are cleared by then.

If OPs flight is 3 hours late, then I’m sure they would appreciate constructive messages on EC261.

Good Evening to all

Last edited by BAEC; Aug 6, 2019 at 12:25 pm
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by MADPhil
The mods should probably put all the irrelevant posts into a new thread somewhere obscure since there is clearly pent-up demand!
Oh, come on! It’s just Classic BAFT thread meandering.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by BAEC

Mods have been notified to act as they see best 😊
Thanks 🙄
BAEC likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
It seems like you’ve all hijacked the post!

The OP once they land, will obviously be happy that you have all shared your memories from the 60’s, 70’s 80’s, 90’s etc

Can we get back to facts please relevant for the OP.

Thank You
As a relative newbie, for me, one of the best things about BAFT is the astonishing breadth of experience and knowledge amongst the posters. It makes me both question my views and my recollections of a given period, and simultaneously look back (mostly) fondly.

Yes, we are surely off topic, but the OP is (we hope) airborne and on the way to their destination, even if unfortunately delayed. I'm sure a number of people will be willing and ready to assist the OP with data when they land, or even inflight if they are wifi enabled. Until then, perhaps you might be able to ignore the reminiscing of us old farts and fartesses.

Or, if not, hit the triangle, that's what it's there for.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
What’s a

??
I fear to respond, in the current climate, but ... Typing Pool.

More typos than a BAFT poster at midnight on Friday, requiring work to be sent back and forth a few times for corrections.

I subsequently bought my own electric typewriter, with correction facility, to obviate delays.

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Blumie
After 90 minutes of trying, we’re now being told that “a 3rd update disk” is being brought to the aircraft.
Disk!!! 😂😂😂.

I think I read somewhere that some of the new A350s need a reboot at or on 149 hours...edited as I see someone posted the very article!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Currently over Newfoundland and showing a late arrival of 3 hours and 2 minutes - doors open will probably be over 3 hours I would guess.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It seems like you’ve all hijacked the post!

The OP once they land, will obviously be happy that you have all shared your memories from the 60’s, 70’s 80’s, 90’s etc

Can we get back to facts please relevant for the OP.

Thank You
The OP got the answer in post 6 and then commented on that reply (and confirmed that the pilot said that was the reason) in post 27

I note you added to the unnecessary posts by making a comment it was for an EU261 update for a pop up in post 20!

They don't have to read the whole thread. This happens a lot on FT where the topic diverts once an answer has been given.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
As a relative newbie, for me, one of the best things about BAFT is the astonishing breadth of experience and knowledge amongst the posters. It makes me both question my views and my recollections of a given period, and simultaneously look back (mostly) fondly.

Yes, we are surely off topic, but the OP is (we hope) airborne and on the way to their destination, even if unfortunately delayed. I'm sure a number of people will be willing and ready to assist the OP with data when they land, or even inflight if they are wifi enabled. Until then, perhaps you might be able to ignore the reminiscing of us old farts and fartesses.

Or, if not, hit the triangle, that's what it's there for.
It has been hit. We should respect the OP, in two hours time when they land in BOS over 3 hours late ... I’m sure they don’t want to wade through others memories !
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Disk!!! 😂😂😂.
A CD burned by the manufacturer is less likely to have bad software loaded on it. That said, it should be possible to produce a one-time programmable memory stick and/or to prevent the aircraft from loading any unauthenticated software.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton

It has been hit. We should respect the OP, in two hours time when they land in BOS over 3 hours late ... I’m sure they don’t want to wade through others memories !
Well, I can't speak for the OP, but were I in their shoes I'd start at the end and work back. Not that there would necessarily be much to work through, it's either 3 hours or not from what I can tell. And there will be people here who are willing to assist with data regarding that, as it looks like it could be a close run thing.

However, as you say, you've reported it, so the mods will make their decision, and I'll respect that decision whatever it may be.
T8191 and BAEC like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Pascoe
My abiding memory of BBC Micros at school was my lab partner hacking the speech synthesiser that was the Comp Sci teacher's pride and joy, and getting it to tell said teacher to "$^%& OFF Mr XXX" repeatedly on endless loop and then locking it up somehow so it took him the best part of the lesson to get it to stop (somehow he struggled on rather than just pulling the plug on it).

Ahhhh - happy times. Don't know what ever happened to the teacher. My erstwhile lab partner has a fairly high profile and responsible job these days so go figure.....
I went to secondary school with a higher class of digital delinquent:

He wrote a program to play jazz tunes through the speakers of the BBC Model B, and then used various featues of the networking feature ("ECONET") to force all machines in the room (about 30 of them) to play jazz, synchronised together. Attempts to stop one machine would simply cause it to be re-infested if it restarted, so eventually all machines had to be turned off at the same time. A very early instance of self-propagating software, and the cross-network synchronisation was particularly neat.

I believe he went on to have a sequence of successful programming and IT security jobs.

(I could describe the whole implementation in far more detail, but that's a bit off topic for a flying forum )
toothy likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Yes I may have made a comical comment about EC261.

This thread has gone way off topic!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I may have made a comical comment about EC261.

This thread has gone way off topic!
OK, we take your point. It’s in the hands of the Mods now.

BTW, about 30 minutes or so to landing, I believe? Chasing the EC261 woukd be ON-topic, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.