FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Delay due to a needed software update (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1981791-delay-due-needed-software-update.html)

Blumie Aug 6, 2019 5:12 am

Delay due to a needed software update

I’m on BA213 LHR-BOS. We’re sitting on the stand an hour after our scheduled departure because just before departure it was discovered that a software update is needed, and now they’re having difficulty loading it. Additional engineers have been called in. I have a feeling this won’t be resolved quickly.

How does this happen? Did the pilot fire up the engines only to have a dialog box pop up on his screen? Wouldn’t an airline have advance notice of needed software updates as opposed to having it discovered by surprise after passengers have boarded? Anyone know how these things work? Anyone out there know how to hack an A380?

Tiger_lily Aug 6, 2019 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 31384666)
I’m on BA213 LHR-BOS. We’re sitting on the stand an hour after our scheduled departure because just before departure it was discovered that a software update is needed, and now they’re having difficulty loading it. Additional engineers have been called in. I have a feeling this won’t be resolved quickly.

How does this happen? Did the pilot fire up the engines only to have a dialog box pop up on his screen? Wouldn’t an airline have advance notice of needed software updates as opposed to having it discovered by surprise after passengers have boarded? Anyone know how these things work? Anyone out there know how to hack an A380?

Windows updates? :D

Blumie Aug 6, 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily (Post 31384672)
Windows updates? :D

Windows 98?

HighwayToHEL Aug 6, 2019 5:25 am

Given how reliable "software updates" can be, I'm glad I'm not flying today.

mikeyfly Aug 6, 2019 5:27 am

I assume the 744s are more reliable... probably Nimbus or BBC Basic ?

scottishpoet Aug 6, 2019 5:37 am

Possibly some part has been replaced but the replacement part has a lower software level than other components on board, hence the requirement. This may be as a result of something being swapped out while on stand.

Blumie Aug 6, 2019 5:44 am

After 90 minutes of trying, we’re now being told that “a 3rd update disk” is being brought to the aircraft.

xPositor Aug 6, 2019 5:47 am

I trust that the A380 doesn't give you 15 minutes notice before it reboots itself anyway (and you can't postpone it) - which Windows has a habit of doing, typically in the middle of a client presentation!

TomMM Aug 6, 2019 5:50 am

Can't find it now but wasn't there a BA flight that cancelled a couple of years ago because they forget to update the navigation system software? And then the airport didn't have an upgrade disk?

Zippo58 Aug 6, 2019 5:56 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 31384704)

Wow ... I was the Product Manager at RM responsible for the Nimbus PC-186! Bet 99% of forum users won't get that reference!!! Nice one Mickeyfly ... made my day.

mtikky Aug 6, 2019 5:57 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 31384704)

Is it bad I remember using BBC Basic in primary school? 🤦🏻.♂️

fotographer Aug 6, 2019 6:05 am

didnt not know airplanes still ran on Windows 3.1

Jimmie76 Aug 6, 2019 6:14 am

Maybe a little paperclip popped up saying

"it looks like you're trying to taxi to take off. Would you like help with that?"

:D

peter h Aug 6, 2019 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 (Post 31384833)
Maybe a little paperclip popped up saying

"it looks like you're trying to taxi to take off. Would you like help with that?"

:D

That would be more helpful than the HAL system,

'I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...'

mikeyfly Aug 6, 2019 6:25 am

Wow how grateful I am for your product! Glad I'm not alone!! It was so exciting getting your turn on the Nimbus ;)