Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Economy basic OLCI seat selection strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy basic OLCI seat selection strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DoB840
Oh, I naively assumed that all major airports with a BA presence must have BA check-in machines.

Is there a complete list of check-in machines anywhere? I can't find one on ba.com. I'd rather not make a special trip to the airport in vain.

If I can't select a decent seat before my flight, will I still be able to use the check-in kiosk to change my seat while connecting at LHR, or is it too late by then? On my return trip (FCO-LHR-JFK), I do plan to leave the airport, so I'd have physical access to the machines on my way out, but I don't know if they'd work after I've already flown one of two segments.

If there are no machines at JFK or FCO, am I better off waiting until I arrive at the airport for my flight to check-in without having even attempted OLCI, or should I go through OLCI without generating a boarding pass? I'd very much prefer a window seat on the TATL segments - don't care as much about the short-haul segments (but ideally a window would be nice there, too).
To be honest, if choosing your seat is so important, its probably better value for money to pay for it than the cost (including that of your own personal time) to travel to and from the airport. If its a five minute job that's different, if its a couple of hours that's another question.

I am doubt that you would get past the boarding pass check at the JFK Security with a BP for the next day which would scupper your lounge plan.

For me this is all way too much effort
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by hotel_user
Can anyone recommend a PP landside lounge at LHR that I will be able to access ? I have never been, let alone traveled from LHR.

Son booked my ticket ( He has deep pockets and short arms - and I had to pay ! ), and is currently a passenger on a land train from Perth to Queensland to his flight to BKK ..... for the family gathering. He takes money saving to the extreme level.
No PP landside lounge at T5, There are Plaza Premium landside lounges at T2,T4. Airside, as CWS pointed out, Aspire Lounge in T5. Also, if you've got Amex platinum chargecard you can use Plaza Premium lounge at T5 (airside). More detailed info here LHR London Heathrow lounges
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:00 pm

I was at JFK last week. I had a bit of time to kill, so I ran into T7 to look for machines.

No luck. I can confirm that JFK does not have machines.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:27 pm

Are you sure? They had machines on Aug 5th when I went through, to the side of the desks.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by James91
Are you sure? They had machines on Aug 5th when I went through, to the side of the desks.
The only machines I saw were for AS. Can you describe where the BA machines were? Which side of the desks? Where do I go when I enter the terminal? I didn't see any. I was there at about 9 AM, so the BA desks were unstaffed and I didn't encounter any BA personnel, but the two people I asked didn't think that BA had any machines (although one clearly misunderstood my question).
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:51 pm

Like where the BA desks are, to the left of them, slightly around the corner. I managed to print my bag tag off at one, and change my seat. There was only a few though, and they were old AF.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by James91
Like where the BA desks are, to the left of them, slightly around the corner. I managed to print my bag tag off at one, and change my seat. There was only a few though, and they were old AF.
So, from the entrance to the terminal, I first go toward the BA desks on the left, then walk past them and look to their left? There was a lot of clutter in that area - I didn't investigate closely, but I may have overlooked the machines there. I'll take another look - thanks!
James91 likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:46 pm

And in case anyone's still reading this - what's the strategy here? Basic Economy, no status, hoping to snag a window seat from JFK without having to cough up $46. At this point (between 24 and 48 hours to departure), Theoretical Seating has blocked all remaining window seats. Do I am to get to the kiosk at precisely T-24, or do I wait longer in the hopes that Theoretical Seating eventually opens up some window seats (one of which I can then select)? If the kiosk only presents me with undesirable choices, can I walk away, twiddle my thumbs for a while, and try again, or am I stuck with the options it gives me?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:31 pm

No BA kiosks at JFK Terminal 7. I searched every nook and cranny.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by DoB840
And in case anyone's still reading this - what's the strategy here? Basic Economy, no status, hoping to snag a window seat from JFK without having to cough up $46. At this point (between 24 and 48 hours to departure), Theoretical Seating has blocked all remaining window seats. Do I am to get to the kiosk at precisely T-24, or do I wait longer in the hopes that Theoretical Seating eventually opens up some window seats (one of which I can then select)? If the kiosk only presents me with undesirable choices, can I walk away, twiddle my thumbs for a while, and try again, or am I stuck with the options it gives me?
Bottom line is that on a busy long haul flight in basic you are quite unlikely to get a window seat if you have not reserved one through status or paid assignment.

window seats go fastest (and there are fewer of them than either aisle or middles so many get preassigned and others get selected at olci by people able to change their assignments.

And if the seat seat you get whilst checking in as basic doesn’t suit you, unfortunately, if you go away and come back later you’ll still get the same one.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:47 pm

I guess the agent at the check-in liked me. I asked if he could give me a window seat, and be obliged. Glad I didn't do OLCI!
orbitmic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.