FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Economy basic OLCI seat selection strategy?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:31 am
scottishpoet

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by DoB840
Oh, I naively assumed that all major airports with a BA presence must have BA check-in machines.

Is there a complete list of check-in machines anywhere? I can't find one on ba.com. I'd rather not make a special trip to the airport in vain.

If I can't select a decent seat before my flight, will I still be able to use the check-in kiosk to change my seat while connecting at LHR, or is it too late by then? On my return trip (FCO-LHR-JFK), I do plan to leave the airport, so I'd have physical access to the machines on my way out, but I don't know if they'd work after I've already flown one of two segments.

If there are no machines at JFK or FCO, am I better off waiting until I arrive at the airport for my flight to check-in without having even attempted OLCI, or should I go through OLCI without generating a boarding pass? I'd very much prefer a window seat on the TATL segments - don't care as much about the short-haul segments (but ideally a window would be nice there, too).
To be honest, if choosing your seat is so important, its probably better value for money to pay for it than the cost (including that of your own personal time) to travel to and from the airport. If its a five minute job that's different, if its a couple of hours that's another question.

I am doubt that you would get past the boarding pass check at the JFK Security with a BP for the next day which would scupper your lounge plan.

For me this is all way too much effort