Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Just because the firefighters are part of the strike, doesn't mean there won't be fire cover. Just as the fact that security screening staff are part of the strike, doesn't mean all security points will be closed. Let's not unintentionally scaremonger.
If this is to be believed, then apparently a Surrey County Council "owned" trading company will be providing the contingency fire cover

https://www.fbu.org.uk/news/2019/08/...reaking-scheme
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by pollycat
Thanks KeaneJohn and tobsw, that's a relief!
The good thing of course is you are also arriving domestically so will just need to show onward boarding pass at flight connections for T5 so you won’t have to go through the additional security screening which seems to be the main pressure point.
pollycat likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold. VA Gold
saw that Qatar has moved some of their flights to Gatwick

The following Qatar Airways services to and from London Heathrow have been cancelled or re-routed as a result of the proposed industrial action by airport staff:
  • On Sunday 4th August, QR 005, Doha to Heathrow, (scheduled to depart at 1650) has been cancelled. All passengers will be re-accommodated on alternative flights. Passengers should check in at least three hours before what would have been their scheduled departure.
  • On Monday 5th August, QR 006, Heathrow to Doha, (scheduled to depart at 0800) has been cancelled. All passengers will be re-accommodated on alternative flights. Passengers should check in at least three hours before what would have been their scheduled departure.
  • On Monday 5th August, QR 007 from Doha to Heathrow will depart on schedule at 0900 but will be re-routed to London Gatwick with an expected arrival time of 1310.
  • On Monday 5th August, QR 008 from Heathrow to Doha will now depart from London Gatwick at 1825. Qatar Airways will provide free coach transport from Heathrow to Gatwick, leaving at 1330. However, we strongly advise passengers to make their own way to Gatwick if at all possible as we expect Heathrow to be busier than normal.
  • On Tuesday 6th August, QR003 from Doha to Heathrow will depart on schedule at 0750 but will be re-routed to London Gatwick with an expected arrival time of 1315.
  • On Tuesday 6th August, QR004 from Heathrow to Doha will now depart from London Gatwick at 1505. Qatar Airways will provide free coach transport from Heathrow to Gatwick, leaving at 1000. However, we strongly advise passengers to make their own way to Gatwick if at all possible as we expect Heathrow to be busier than normal.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
I'm flying DUB-LHR-AUS on Tuesday. If I originate in Ireland, will I have to leave the sterile area at Heathrow and check back in for my connection? I ask because I have some expensive camera equipment in one large carryon, and a second carryon with medicine and a CPAP machine. My connection time is 90 minutes in Heathrow. Would it make sense to take an earlier departure out of Dublin? Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by donjo
I'm flying DUB-LHR-AUS on Tuesday. If I originate in Ireland, will I have to leave the sterile area at Heathrow and check back in for my connection? I ask because I have some expensive camera equipment in one large carryon, and a second carryon with medicine and a CPAP machine. My connection time is 90 minutes in Heathrow. Would it make sense to take an earlier departure out of Dublin? Thanks!
yes, you have to reclear security I’m afraid
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

The good thing of course is you are also arriving domestically so will just need to show onward boarding pass at flight connections for T5 so you won’t have to go through the additional security screening which seems to be the main pressure point.
Thanks KeaneJohn, this is all very reassuring. If we can go straight from the Leeds plane to our next gate and not have to worry about security, that is also one less thing to worry about.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
One has to assume that with cancellations formally being announced, the airlines have been informed that they cannot bank on the strike being called off at the 11th hour - ie it is more likely than not to occur, and they are planning accordingly.

Balls.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by donjo
I can't see anyway around this other than deferring your trip by 24 hours or re-routing via LGW or DUB - USA. I would look to double pack the camera equipment into the hold, perhaps taking the most valuable item(s) with you and the CPAP machine. If you can manage without sleeping then presumably the CPAP machine can go in the hold after securing any batteries? Essentially the CPAP machinery probably would be allowed as an extra, but then anything else would have to fit in a small bag.

If there are delays on Tuesday the rebooking options may be forced on you anyway.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Are you saying 17 outbound flights cancelled but the aircraft will depart LHR without passengers in order to operate the inbound flight?
Heathrow have been clear that the aircraft have to be flown out of LHR despite the departures being cancelled. This avoids adding issues around aircraft parking and congestion. If the aircraft from all these cancelled flights remained at LHR, there would be lots of other issues. Other carriers are opting to cancel both inbound and outbound, but BA and indeed Virgin won't have this option as it is our base and where the aircraft start.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:01 am

Am flying (or at least hope to be) on Tuesday night out to Asia. Is first long haul with the kids so timing is excellent ;-)

Just wondering in terms of queue mitigation if BA will have the normal number of bag drops available (it mentions the first wing being closed but not sure if this includes check-in /bag drop?). I'm a gold so if they are open can at least save queuing twice with the family - if not live in West London so considering going along earlier in the day without the kids or perhaps using Airportr - assuming that won't be effected.

May be impossible to know until tomorrow - but any educated opinions appreciated.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Winchy78
May be impossible to know until tomorrow - but any educated opinions appreciated.
I suspect First Wing check-in area will still be working, they will need the desks, and you also have the family check-in area in Zone A to consider. My suggestion would be to check in your luggage on Monday evening during the new Twilight Check-in period after 18:00 to 21:00 hrs, if you are local.
SDUKAG likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
On the Heathrow website, under departures for tomorrow, it's possible to see, which flights are cancelled
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Ever the optimist, I’m envisioning the two parties sitting around a table, both focussed on resolution and doing everything to avert the industrial action.

Am I living in cloud cuckoo land or is there still a chance of some kind of resolution right up to 11pm tonight?
flygirl68 and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:28 am

Thanks CWS - you're a gentleman and a scholar.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
For donjo,
If you have a travel letter from your doctor about your CPAP machine and other medications you should be permitted to travel with those items in your carryon. Checking a CPAP a machine in your hold luggage could damage it and most if not all manufacturers of this equipment highly recommend against checking it luggage.
At least in the US if you have medical equipment and supplies it is NOT counted towards carryon limitations. In the US they have to comply with ADA policies. I have invoked this myself due to travel with a CPAP and other medical supplies which cannot be checked into baggage. I have never encountered refusal to bring them onboard.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.