Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread is about the now deferredindustrial action (strikes) by Heathrow Airport Limited staff. Click here for the official and detailed BA advice, particularly for departing and connecting passengers.

The strikes planned for Monday 5 and Tuesday 6 August have now both been cancelled and normal services can be expected, with the possible exception of some catering changes on shorthaul services. A revised pay offer is being put to the workforce and in the meantime strike action has been postponed.

This is a different and unrelated dispute to the possible BA strike (there is a separate thread for this). It only affects LHR but all airlines, all terminals

As things stand the next strike days are Friday 23 - Saturday 24 August, there may be further dates announced. The impact is on departing and connecting passengers, with restrictions on hand baggage (one small item only), no First Wing or Fast Track security, and changed catering arrangements on some shorter services. See links above for details, there are no changes noted for passengers arriving into Heathrow, other than the catering changes. On Sunday BA will announce any service changes, usually this comes around 17:00 hrs London time. BA is offering a Twilight Check-In service from 18:00 hrs the night before travel to allow passengers to get their bags into the system before the day of travel.

BA is allowing short haul bookings from LHR on 5-6 August to be rebooked to either LCY or LGW - or to other dates from Heathrow on or before 12 August so long as they avoid 5-6 August. This include redemptions. Tickets need to be booked on or before 31 July. It would appear that currently flights TO Heathrow are not in scope.
Print Wikipost

LHR strikes (HAL employees) - 23/24 Aug 2019 [called off for now]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Tomorrow’s HAL strike suspended.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Tomorrow’s HAL strike suspended.
Yes, thanks, here is the Unite press release:
A strike by more than 4,000 workers at Heathrow due to start tomorrow (Tuesday 6 August) at 00:01 and finish at 23:59 has been suspended while the workforce votes on an improved pay offer, Unite, Britain and Ireland’s largest union, said today (Monday 5 August).

Unite said it would not be revealing the details of the improved offer until its members involved in the ongoing pay dispute have had an opportunity to consider and vote on the new package.
However, Unite said that the strikes already announced for Friday 23 August and Saturday 24 August remained on the table until the result of the ballot was known.

Unite will not be commenting further until its members have considered the improved offer.
BA would normally cancel flights at about this point (see, um, yesterday) but they probably saw the writing on the wall, so nothing cancelled or moved for tomorrow.

I'm sure this will be confirmed shortly, but I think it's going to be a normal day tomorrow, with the possible exception of some catering oddities on shorter services.
thegamebird, Krisz and AlastairM like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:10 am

given that the aug 5/6 strike didn't happen, are the airlines who cancelled filghts reponsible for ec261 compensation.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
T3 running smoothly this afternoon. Fast Track empty and quick. Our flight was delayed so went of a lounge crawl (CX, QF, BA F lounges). Nice to try the different offerings. CX remains best but I get fidgety after an hour so being able to forage elsewhere is nice.
nancypants and jediwisdom like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Cymba
given that the aug 5/6 strike didn't happen, are the airlines who cancelled filghts reponsible for ec261 compensation.
No.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Bonvoy Ambassador + LtG, Hyatt Globalist, United Silver
For what it’s worth, T5 First Lounge WiFi is down. I guess someone/thing had to end up striking
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cymba
I would say no on the same basis that there are proactive weather cancellations and those flights aren't eligible even if the expected bad weather fails to appear.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Report from 6 August

Originally Posted by Greg66

I’m going to tempt fate here. Having been in a few late-into-the-night negotiations myself, the pattern that is emerging suggests to me strongly that Tuesday’s strike will also be called off, and I’d be prepared to bet that the ones later in August will be too. Whether the union is being strung along or making progress towards its goal, I don’t know (and may genuinely depend on which side of the table you sit), but it looks like the threat of a strike is extracting a response, one way or another, that averts it.
All smooth this AM in first term 5. Arrived at 625, in the lounge at 6:32 The First Wing and fast tracks are all running.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

No.
If, however, the flights could be easily re-instated, then it might not be a slam-dunk case for the airlines.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cauchy
If, however, the flights could be easily re-instated, then it might not be a slam-dunk case for the airlines.
And the typical example here would be a non UK based airline which may elect not to send an aircraft to LHR given the uncertainty and thus when the strike's postponement came, the aircraft was in the wrong place. But that certanly wouldn't get EC261 since the airlines were acting on the best information they had.

There is a story in this morning's Telegraph of some passengers - clearly not FT readers - who were on the initially cancelled BA service to Vienna and spent £700 (for what I think was two passengers) to buy tickets from another unspecified airport to make their journey. They will get a refund on their BA ticket, and that is the EC261 protection here, but they will probably end up paying the rest themselves, even though the VIE service did actually run on time. There isn't a lot of detail here, so there may be other complexities.

Moral of the story is to proceed with caution in these cases, and only rebook alternative flights if you are 101% sure of what you are doing.
Tobias-UK and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
... Moral of the story is to proceed with caution in these cases, and only rebook alternative flights if you are 101% sure of what you are doing.
... and are happy to foot the bill yourself in the event of EC261 not covering the extra costs.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Do we know any more about the likelihood of strikes going ahead on the 23rd August? I'm due to fly to LJU that day for the weekend and will probably cancel if there is a strike.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Mike P
Do we know any more about the likelihood of strikes going ahead on the 23rd August? I'm due to fly to LJU that day for the weekend and will probably cancel if there is a strike.
The previous two strikes were called off at the last minute so I expect it’s far too early to say. I believe unite have gone to their members with an offer. As things stand the strike is still on.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am due to fly out of LHR on the 24th, but I have booked a flight out of LGW on the 23rd with double Avios as a contingency plan.

I can't remember the timings for the previous strike, but I am hoping I will know whether I'll be able to fly on the 24th before the deadline that would allow to cancel the double Avios booking without losing the Avios.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:31 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ringingup
I am due to fly out of LHR on the 24th, but I have booked a flight out of LGW on the 23rd with double Avios as a contingency plan.

I can't remember the timings for the previous strike, but I am hoping I will know whether I'll be able to fly on the 24th before the deadline that would allow to cancel the double Avios booking without losing the Avios.
I'm booked on the 23rd first thing in the morning, and am also booked on 4th September with FR (the day their pilots are meant to be striking) - so hurray for a possible 2 for 2! If I get hit by a strike again, do I get a medal?

M
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.