Wiki Posts
Search

Ba 9 ba 10 bkk - lhr

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EY, QR Platinum, BA Gold
Ba 9 ba 10 bkk - lhr

I usually fly this flight twice a year with family in World Traveller Plus. Any idea when these flights will be retrofitted? My last flight 2 months ago 3 out of the 4 seats we had were broken in some way from the arm rests falling apart to the seats not going back. I see that they are changing the soft product etc but what about the hard product? It seems like it's taking forever to do.. Any updates?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by flightcrew1
I usually fly this flight twice a year with family in World Traveller Plus. Any idea when these flights will be retrofitted? My last flight 2 months ago 3 out of the 4 seats we had were broken in some way from the arm rests falling apart to the seats not going back. I see that they are changing the soft product etc but what about the hard product? It seems like it's taking forever to do.. Any updates?
Not any time soon.
teledude and flightcrew1 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:47 am
Suspended

Seats should be repaired from stock at LHR prior to the next flight.
flightcrew1 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Using the search function will give plenty of previous discussions on this topic
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

See here for more threads discussing this route.

BA 9 LHR-BKK. Is it getting worse ?
LHR TO BKK - still old 777s?!
Business class to bangkok
LHR-BKK
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Are you beholden to BA for this particular route? Do you need the Tier Points or Avios? I have flown this route many many times and a while ago I started voting with my wallet (which we should all do) this is one of the routes where the product is so poor that I actively encourage other passengers to go with a different airline. Qatar have many flights per day to BKK and their economy is better than World Traveller Plus in my opinion.

How vital to you is the direct flight?

I've flown the BA routes to BKK, Nairobi and Cape Town recently and thought their economy product was really poor. At the very least the choice of IFE has got severely worse than it used to be with BA on long haul.

Last edited by Sign47; Jul 4, 2019 at 4:35 am Reason: clarity
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
G-YMMU has been on the BKK route quite a bit lately and seems to be an unwell aircraft, with lots of delays and yesterday it returned to LHR shortly after departure for Bengaluru.
Try a different carrier...it is only when enough people vote with their wallets will things change, sadly.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:07 am

I have to agree with the last post. BKK is a low priority route for BA which means older planes and a very worn out interior. There are some excellent alternatives out there using at least a 777-300 with decent IFE for such a long flight! BA should have a 787 or 777-300 on this route to maximise passenger comfort on such a long sector.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by kaizenflying
I have to agree with the last post. BKK is a low priority route for BA which means older planes and a very worn out interior. There are some excellent alternatives out there using at least a 777-300 with decent IFE for such a long flight! BA should have a 787 or 777-300 on this route to maximise passenger comfort on such a long sector.
BA send the good equipment on routes where the yield is greatest. BKK has poor yields so gets the oldest equipment.
Talking Penguin likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
i’m not convinced a Y seat on a BA 787 would necessarily be considered an upgrade, even against a 777 of such vintage it was probably once piloted by Pontius...
mikeyfly and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY, QR Platinum, BA Gold
Thanks everyone. I'm Gold on BA so these flights maintain my tier. Otherwise I fly AY or QR to Europe. I was flying EY but have dropped them last year..

Last edited by flightcrew1; Jul 4, 2019 at 9:01 am Reason: need to add information
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
Seats should be repaired from stock at LHR prior to the next flight.
think this was something senior Cruz enhanced away. The idea that BA do anything beyond the absolute minimum at LHR is quite amusing, as is the concept of stock. They can’t even provide enough food on board let along spare seats
flightcrew1 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Looks like it’s been subbed for a 777-300ER on BA9 today and BA10 tomorrow. There was also a sub for G-YMML 777-200 earlier this week which has 12F seats but 2000 WT and WTP still.

I just do a mix of BA, QR, AY, CX. Get bored of a routine after a couple of trips on one carrier and they all have their faults. 12 hours goes fast for me now anyway, it’s just like getting on a bus travelling between UK and BKK.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by PrimaVista

i’m not convinced a Y seat on a BA 787 would necessarily be considered an upgrade, even against a 777 of such vintage it was probably once piloted by Pontius...
Agreed but at least the IFE is better and the cabin environment more conducive to a long sector journey. The older 777-200s remind me of BA’s intent on milking their 747-100s until the very end - and I still recall flying to Montreal in 1998 on a 741 with seats covered in red “out of service” seat covers aka “knackered”.
flightcrew1 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:01 pm

Agreed but at least the IFE is better and the cabin environment more conducive to a long sector journey. The older 777-200s remind me of BA’s intent on milking their 747-100s until the very end - and I still recall flying to Montreal in 1998 on a 741 with seats covered in red “out of service” seat covers aka “knackered”.
The B747-100's were retired 20 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.