LHR TO BKK - still old 777s?!

Old Jan 14, 18, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
LHR TO BKK - still old 777s?!

Hey all - there are some good J deals to BKK (ex GOT) currently - £1.1k each including hotel so we are looking to head out for a few days in March - are BA still using old 3 class 777 on this route - the ones without the Thales IFE?
Old Jan 14, 18, 11:22 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
Yes sadly.... See if you can route via HKG/SIN.

Decent fares exAMS if GOT doesn't allow it.
ratechaser likes this.
Old Jan 14, 18, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Certainly go exAMS and Can route through SIN and KUL and many dates have F availability which is a great way to travel that far
Old Jan 14, 18, 5:22 pm

I flew BKK-LHR in CW last week and was shocked how basic these planes are. No charging points and rubllish IFE so it was a nightmare when the kids Ipad batteries ran on. A poor choice of only Ep3 kids movies on a 13 hour flight. In desperation had to resort to letting my 7 year old watch a 12A and she's been saying the word '..., ever since....grrrr!

On the positive side, the food out of BKK was excellent. Chicken satay was so good my kids had seconds and the excellent crew wer happy for Mr NW and I to dine on demand rather than with the main meal service. It was not at all expected but when I tried to decline the meal (after a good hotel breakfast) they were insistent they were happy to put lunch aside for me and I could eat later. When I complemented the CC on the food they said I should try the JFK route to see how much things have improved.
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 15, 18, 12:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, Delta Platinum Medallion, AA Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
UGH. I have three of these flights coming up this year and I was hoping (praying? begging? pleading with God?) that they would change this dang aircraft!
I've done this flight a few times already since relocating to Bangkok last year...after flying Finnair to Warsaw in October, however, I think it's time to see if I can shift our business to them...
Old Jan 15, 18, 12:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club
I moved to Bangkok about six months ago and have flown this route four times now. I will try to avoid this going forwards by going via HKG if I can, as I prefer the night flight A380. Itís not just the aircraft I have an issue with but the flight time - I hate day flights Westwards (this one is around 11am to 6pm give or take) as I find I canít sleep and so Iím tired for longer after I land.

Much prefer to spend all day awake and then get a good sleep on the 11pm ish departures from Hong Kong but maybe thatís just personal preference.

Also, by ďno charging pointsĒ do you mean for a specific country plug? I always manage to charge my phone with my Thai phone charger and thought it was one of those multi-purpose sockets that took most plug types?
Old Jan 15, 18, 1:20 am

The charging points donít take UK plugs. Even with a. Adapter I couldnít get the iPads or my battery pack to charge. Someone said they were US plug sockets. BA really should have some chargers to hand in CW on these planes.
Old Jan 15, 18, 1:24 am

I quite liked the timing though....a day flight arriving early evening so home for a nice early night avoided any real jet lag. It was tough on the kids though who fell asleep just before landing and ended up asleep on the floor of the luggage hall after a 45 minute wait at passport control and then a disgraceful further hour waiting for our cases.
Old Jan 15, 18, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I avoid this flight because of the poor hard product and the crap timing of the outbound service. BA/CX via HK is my preferred routing.
Old Jan 15, 18, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
I visit BKK around 3/4 times per year. The best routing I've found is OSL-DOH-BKK or HEL-DOH-BKK

Personally I would always chose QR over BA for this route as its a newer fleet and I find the seats a lot more comfortable
Old Jan 15, 18, 3:47 am

+1 for via HKG if you can find a deal.

I probably don't recommend via SIN now, as Cathay have moved to T4 and I found the transiting experience tedious and the lounge to be disappointing for Cathay (no showers, no bar - unnecessarily large noodle station instead, lack of drink options etc.).

QR is great for tier points and the flight itself is normally good, but I find Doha airport pretty soul destroying, so tend to avoid it now unless I can find a short connection. Saying that, I tend to travel solo, so it might be different when you have company.
Old Jan 15, 18, 4:23 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bloomsbury View Post
but I find Doha airport pretty soul destroying, so tend to avoid it now unless I can find a short connection.
I'm intrigued by your view on DOH - what is it lacking? I would personally choose this as a connecting point ahead of most other options (in Europe, Middle East or Asia)! It's clean, modern and (generally) very efficient. It also doesn't have an overload of shops, which in my view is a good thing. The lounges are nice, the only downside being the woefully inadequate number of showers and the flawed queuing system they operate for them! A long connection can be soul destroying in any airport - so they are best avoided!
Old Jan 15, 18, 4:43 am

Programs: BA GGL + CCR, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Chris9642 View Post
Hey all - there are some good J deals to BKK (ex GOT) currently - £1.1k each including hotel so we are looking to head out for a few days in March - are BA still using old 3 class 777 on this route - the ones without the Thales IFE?
How do you find this? do you have the fare basis code?
Old Jan 15, 18, 5:02 am

Programs: The 4am BP pitstop club
LHR-HKG/SIN/KUL-BKK is worth the detour. Each one has it's pros and cons but still lightyears ahead of direct.
Old Jan 15, 18, 5:45 am

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by Newly Wed View Post
I flew BKK-LHR in CW last week and was shocked how basic these planes are. No charging points and rubllish IFE so it was a nightmare when the kids Ipad batteries ran on. A poor choice of only Ep3 kids movies on a 13 hour flight. In desperation had to resort to letting my 7 year old watch a 12A and she's been saying the word '..., ever since....grrrr!

On the positive side, the food out of BKK was excellent. Chicken satay was so good my kids had seconds and the excellent crew wer happy for Mr NW and I to dine on demand rather than with the main meal service. It was not at all expected but when I tried to decline the meal (after a good hotel breakfast) they were insistent they were happy to put lunch aside for me and I could eat later. When I complemented the CC on the food they said I should try the JFK route to see how much things have improved.
Yikes! I did not know it was this bad :O I have got one in a few months time.

Quick question about the windows - since it is a day flight - were the windows shades open all throughout the flight or did crew force the shades to be closed?
gypsyjaney likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: