Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG signs LOI for 200 737MAX - some for BA LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
I'd rather wait and see what the causes are rather than pontificate as to why it happened given that the only fact we have is that the plane crashed after takeoff
I've just looked at the pprune thread. My god, even for pprune it's an eye-opener!

Mud wasps blocking the pitot tubes is my current favourite theory - despite the plane only being on the ground for a couple of hours.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 7:48 am

I'd rather wait and see what the causes are rather than pontificate as to why it happened given that the only fact we have is that the plane crashed after takeoff
I quite agree. My point is , that as this is a B737-500 it has nothing to do with the max.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
This has nothing to do with the 737max and everything to do with Indonesian flight safety.
Seems like you were suggesting, without any evidence, that it was down to Indonesian flight safety as well as stating it was not a MAX issue. Maybe I'm just losing the ability to comprehend English, but it seemed clear to me that your point was broader than just the MAX, my mistake.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Doesn't the 737 (generic) have a long history of unexplained crashes?

Perhaps this is one of them...
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:30 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Grace B
Doesn't the 737 (generic) have a long history of unexplained crashes?

Perhaps this is one of them...
I'm not aware of unexplained crashes. Some, like the dual servo valve failure causing a rudder hard over took nearly 10 years and 3 crashes to find the root cause, but it was eventually found
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:30 am

Seems like you were suggesting, without any evidence, that it was down to Indonesian flight safety as well as stating it was not a MAX issue. Maybe I'm just losing the ability to comprehend English, but it seemed clear to me that your point was broader than just the MAX, my mistake.
No sorry, I was not clear enough. The B737-500 crash is a matter for Indonesian flight safely officers to investigate, and not connected to this thread.
Waterhorse likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
https://skift.com/2021/01/05/america...s-many-feared/

For those who believe a lot of people will actively avoid the max...Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your views) most people don't know and most times don't care to know.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by opus99
https://skift.com/2021/01/05/america...s-many-feared/

For those who believe a lot of people will actively avoid the max...Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your views) most people don't know and most times don't care to know.
This is very US based. I notice yields over the xmas period were 90% full according to AA. We live in strange times and I wonder if people just wanted to fly regardless after such a challenging year. The data from EU/U.K. flights might be more interesting. We live in unprecedented times and I think this might help the MAX. But time will tell.
opus99 and tunis97x like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Spot on!

The first problem is perception, to most people a 737 is a 737, is a 737, no matter what model, a bit like a 1980s VW Golf is nothing like a 2021 VW Golf but still branded the same. However lets look at it another way:

The 737MAX was grandfathered under older 737 models to reduce training and costs on the basis it is really just an upgraded version

The second problem is then becomes the Boeing narrative, is the 737MAX a new aircraft or a version of an existing version? Having sold it is an upgrade it is inevitable any incident with a previous version will reflect on the MAX.
I think for most people a 737 is a small plane, or just a plane. I also dont believe that the general public will avoid the 737MAX, but I really hope that BA doesnt buy the 737.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
BBC reporting: "Boeing 737 Max cleared to fly again 'too early'"

See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55751150
Old Jan 25, 2021, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
BBC reporting: "Boeing 737 Max cleared to fly again 'too early'"

See: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55751150
At the RAeS event last week, it was interesting to hear from Hugh Dibley that even in those great days when the fabulously-engineered 747 was born, BOAC had to take some of the early aircraft back to Seattle for fuselage strengthening work. Which is remniscent of the continuing news in respect of an early example of a largely-composite airliner - the 787 - that Boeing is still finding production issues potentially having an adverse effect on fuselage strength, thus requiring rework.

So I think that one thing it would be interesting to hear from other experts would be views on whether and to what extent the types of problem that Ed Pierson points to in that paper are simply part of the BAU of airliner manufacturing: things which ought to be fixed, but which do not require alarm on the same scale as a poorly-designed and implemented MCAS.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
So I think that one thing it would be interesting to hear from other experts would be views on whether and to what extent the types of problem that Ed Pierson points to in that paper are simply part of the BAU of airliner manufacturing: things which ought to be fixed, but which do not require alarm on the same scale as a poorly-designed and implemented MCAS.
For new aircraft, absolutely. But the point is that during development and certification the 7M8 was never considered a new aircraft, but rather an update on a previous model. This meant they could be treated differently precisely because they shouldnt have needed such extra leeway.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The latest electrical issues which have re-grounded significant numbers of MAXs are now being reported as worse than first thought.

Boeing would nearly be better canning the MAX and bringing back the NG with significant discounts to accommodate its higher fuel burn against A32xNEO.

The MAX is an absolute disaster.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-...ft-11618599393
Old Apr 16, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by SHT88T
The latest electrical issues which have re-grounded significant numbers of MAXs are now being reported as worse than first thought.

Boeing would nearly be better canning the MAX and bringing back the NG with significant discounts to accommodate its higher fuel burn against A32xNEO.

The MAX is an absolute disaster.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/boeing-...ft-11618599393
its all part of the same problem that came from a paint coating that is affecting the grounding path.

FAA does not seem to think its worth a grounding but Boeing is being proactive. Takes 2 days to fix.

boeing should not and will not scrap the MAX. Believe it or not airlines love it, people arent avoiding it and this issue is minor and came from a production process change.

what you suggest is the worst thing any OEM can possibly do.

what I can tell you is, this is not the last problem the MAX will have in its in service.

let us also be aware of the timing of this. This problem was birthed just after the second crash, so its not just occurring now. Boeing is only just discovering it now because of the changes they have made to reviews and quality control.

let us put things into perspective.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by opus99
let us also be aware of the timing of this. This problem was birthed just after the second crash, so its not just occurring now. Boeing is only just discovering it now because of the changes they have made to reviews and quality control.
How many more defects are there that remain undiscovered and how many of those may also be fatal? It has been well documented how corners we cut in trying to rush this aircraft to the market. Given the state of the original program it is almost guaranteed there will be a next problem.

The result of that rush is also well documented with over 300 people losing their lives and further issues being discovered since then.

Personally I have lost confidence in Boeing as a manufacturer and I find it very hard at this point in time to determine how long it will be before I feel confident to fly on a 737Max. I doubt Im alone in that view.

I guess from IAG/BA perspective theyll be hoping for some years of clean service by the time any firmed up MAXs arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.