Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:30 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by paulaf
No flight only and 3rd party villa and car hire with no flexibility on dates so will lose holiday time if have to change dates.
Make a list of other routes / airlines that will allow you to get to your destination on the day in question if it falls on a potential strike day. This way you can present your preferred re-routing / re-booking option to BA without potentially losing your non refundable bookings.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by McG
Make a list of other routes / airlines that will allow you to get to your destination on the day in question if it falls on a potential strike day. This way you can present your preferred re-routing / re-booking option to BA without potentially losing your non refundable bookings.
So will they pay for us to switch to another airline then?
Still not sure if would rebook if strike was the day before? I know our aircraft would not be in the right place but would they allocate another one already sat at LGW? Flying out at 11.20 so quite early really after a strike might end at midnight the day before.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So will they pay for us to switch to another airline then?
You may be rebooked, yes. See the Wiki and linked post 238.
paulaf likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
I called BAEC yesterday and was told there had been rumours of talks resuming on Thurs/Fri this week. Obviously not sure how true that is given some of the posts above, but thought I'd share.
Tobias-UK and EchoCharlieX like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
At least FR pax seem to be off the hook for now ... BBC report timed at 1205 today.

The High Court in Dublin has blocked a proposed strike by Ireland-based Ryanair pilots on Thursday and Friday.
Ryanair's lawyers in Ireland told the court that the pilots union, which represents around 180 Ryanair pilots, had not let talks reach a conclusion before announcing the strike.

A London court is still hearing an urgent attempt by the airline to block a much larger strike by [their] British pilots.
A judgement at that hearing is expected imminently.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49421426
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by samfrost93
I called BAEC yesterday and was told there had been rumours of talks resuming on Thurs/Fri this week. Obviously not sure how true that is given some of the posts above, but thought I'd share.
Can anyone else confirm this, hopeful if true?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
At least FR pax seem to be off the hook for now ... BBC report timed at 1205 today.

This block only covers 160 pilots out of Dublin which is a tiny portion of Ryanair's pilot staff. Think the UK one is something like 1600 pilots and no decision on that one yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49421426
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
To be honest I find this radio silence from BALPA slightly odd. Not that this is a popularity contest, but just reading the number of posts threatening or actively telling stories of booking away from BA it could be construed that the union is actively using uncertainty as a weapon. No strike, no bad PR - but a financial loss for BA. Am I being paranoid or over thinking?

nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ RoyalSwazi - am inclined to agree that the silence is rather odd, prolonging as it inevitably does a) the mood of anxiety in (some) travellers with existing BA bookings, and b) a reluctance to make forward bookings amidst continuing uncertainty.

Can’t find the official statement right now but am pretty sure that BA did say - shortly after ACAS talks had come to a close - that they had issued their ‘final offer’ and that it was now for BALPA to determine their own position.

That being so, it seems very unlikely that there is any possibility of further talks ..... whether ’secretly’ behind the scenes OR in the more conventional, ‘open’ way. There seems very little point - if any - in arranging any such talks unless BA did not actually mean .... er ...... final offer when they referred to a final offer.
RoyalSwazi and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:28 am

Are there no pilots on here that can tell us anything at all please? Agree I wouldn't book new flights at this time with BA.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:33 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Are there no pilots on here that can tell us anything at all please? Agree I wouldn't book new flights at this time with BA.
There are, but I believe there was an agreement that they wouldn't post anything regarding the strikes whilst the talks were progressing.

I don't really see the point of constantly asking. When the decision is made, everyone will soon know about it...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BALPA asked its members not to comment on social media.
flygirl68, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:42 am

It looks like BA has updated their "latest information" link regarding the possible strike to say "we are continuing with talks at ACAS"
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by BuckeyeinVandyland
It looks like BA has updated their "latest information" link regarding the possible strike to say "we are continuing with talks at ACAS"
Interesting - spoke with a few BA pilots yesterday - their understanding was that BALPA had given BA a final final deadline of noon today. Its 1500 now. No announcement seen.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There are, but I believe there was an agreement that they wouldn't post anything regarding the strikes whilst the talks were progressing.

I don't really see the point of constantly asking. When the decision is made, everyone will soon know about it...
Because I'm stressed out about it, trying to find time to investigate alternative routes and airlines and then hotels at 2 destinations near the 2 possible airports in Cyprus for a variety of dates, which I shouldn't have to be doing as I booked these flights last year, but need to be prepared so I can make an instant decision if strike dates are announced for when I call BA to rebook.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.