Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by KARFA

I have to say this comment should really be beneath you in so many ways.
Point taken, but I don’t apologise.

Impacting tens of thousands of people (who have, largely NO OPTIONS) and disrupting their holiday plans is extreme.

In my days in MoD and CAA I waa obviously impacted by transport strikes too. No problem ... take the day off (officially) or go and do a Staff visit somewhere, or just work from home. Or use Bus/Train/Tube/Taxi options if critical.

This is DIFFERENT.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lucien Breault
This situation is so stressful. My wife and I got a great deal on BA roundtrip tickets to Scotland October 4th through 14th more than seven months ago. Since then we have been working hard and booking accomodations. This is a dream trip for us. We can't afford huge changes and it's not possible for us to change out time off work requests at the last minute. I wake up every morning so anxious about this dragging on.

Last time we went on an international trip was 10 years ago during the BA cabin crew strike. We didn't even know if we would be able to go until three days before not knowing if it flight back would be cancelled.

I appreciate the situation of these pilots but I hope they come to an agreement without striking. I need this vacation so bad and I've worked so hard to make it happen.
I would urge calm, no point stressing at all at this stage and your dates further out than most. In any case during the last cabin crew strike many flights operated as BA wet leased planes from QR so contingency will be in place to some extent. I sympathise with your previous experience.

I also have a trip I cannot move booked at considerable cost, but I can't hold this against the pilots. These measures are only taken as a last resort and I wouldn't describe BALPA as militant!
KeaneJohn, nancypants and wilsnunn like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A number of questions have been asked in the last 48 hours about what would happen to bookings during a strike, which I believe are answered in the wiki and the linked post 238. Generally BA allows rebooking nearer departure date. EC261 will also apply. It is the case that sometimes a strike on day1 can affect day2, particularly if the service on day2 would have departed London on day1. It's less likely to have an impact on day minus 1. But broadly speaking I don't see the point in fretting or rebooking, and in any case this is hypothetical at the moment, there is no information right now. Look at all the worried posts at the start of this thread, where circumstances have simply gone over the dates concerned.
Some questions please, How do you find out if your aircraft is going to be in the right place for your flight on day 2?

What impact could there possibly be on day minus 1 is it just in case it is delayed for another reason, does it just have to be scheduled to land before midnight? If it is delayed will it still depart providing it is before midnight or will it strike as it's landing time is post midnight?
If I rebook wirh BA and then strike doesn't go ahead due to a compromise somewhere will BA let me revert back to the original booking at no cost if logistically still feasible? Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:00 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Until dates are announced and BA's response to that, its hard to say what could happen with out it being speculation and conjecture.

​​​​​​
johnaalex and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:07 pm

[QUOTE=McG;31437229]Until dates are announced and BA's response to that, its hard to say what could happen with out it being speculation and conjecture.

​​​​​​Answers to my questions will be set down in a procedure so it isn't speculation. I want to know the procedure so I can plan.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by paulaf
Some questions please, How do you find out if your aircraft is going to be in the right place for your flight on day 2?
You can track the reverse flight and see if it was flown. For example, If your flight is YVR-LHR, see if the LHR-YVR segment was flown. If yes, then the plane is at YVR and ready to return to LHR. If no, then odds are good the flight won't happen, although deadhead/positioning flights can occur.
This only works if your flight originates at a place where the aircraft does an out and back from LHR/LGW. It won't work if you are originating at LHR, since there are other aircraft that can be substituted, so you don't know what aircraft will be used for a LHR originating flight.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't work for BA so I'm not aware of any procedures (if they exist). So this is my speculation informed by past experience and a bit of knowledge about how BA works.
What impact could there possibly be on day minus 1 is it just in case it is delayed for another reason, does it just have to be scheduled to land before midnight?
Mostly there wouldn't be an impact, but imagine an outstation where the crew night stops but the aircraft doesn't night stop, then the next day there is no service anyway. That maybe a circumstance where BA cancels the previous day's flight to prevent crews being stuck somewhere for a long time. Very much the exception.

If I rebook wirh BA and then strike doesn't go ahead due to a compromise somewhere will BA let me revert back to the original booking at no cost if logistically still feasible? Thanks
Generally you are allowed one voluntary change only. However if the strike was rescinded then yes they probably would allow you to revert back.

Overall it's best not to overthink these things, there are too many moving parts for anyone to have a lot of clarity at this point.
KeaneJohn and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ClosetoLHR
I would urge calm, no point stressing at all at this stage and your dates further out than most. In any case during the last cabin crew strike many flights operated as BA wet leased planes from QR so contingency will be in place to some extent. I sympathise with your previous experience.

I also have a trip I cannot move booked at considerable cost, but I can't hold this against the pilots. These measures are only taken as a last resort and I wouldn't describe BALPA as militant!
Thank you. I appreciate that. During the cabin crew strike we were very lucky to not have our flight cancelled. It was literally every other flight that was cancelled on both our departure and return. But the lead up to the strike was so drawn out and was such a source of anxiety and but a shadow on our hype for the trip. We don't get to travel internationally often and it is terrible luck running into the same issue 10 years later.

I actually sympathize with the pilots over BA. Industrial action is why companies can't literally work us to death anymore. I wish having a union was an option in my field of work where I live. But for my own personal stake and for so many others I am just hoping a strike can be averted.

It's unfortunate that this conflict could have the side effect of ruining so many people's travel plans. I am just hoping for compromise and the best possible results.

I have so much money, dreaming and time invested in this trip. I can't help but be anxious.

Last edited by Lucien Breault; Aug 20, 2019 at 3:35 pm Reason: Spelling/grammar
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by T8191
This is DIFFERENT.
This sounds like AN IRREGULAR VERB.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't work for BA so I'm not aware of any procedures (if they exist). So this is my speculation informed by past experience and a bit of knowledge about how BA works.

Mostly there wouldn't be an impact, but imagine an outstation where the crew night stops but the aircraft doesn't night stop, then the next day there is no service anyway. That maybe a circumstance where BA cancels the previous day's flight to prevent crews being stuck somewhere for a long time. Very much the exception.

Generally you are allowed one voluntary change only. However if the strike was rescinded then yes they probably would allow you to revert back.

Overall it's best not to overthink these things, there are too many moving parts for anyone to have a lot of clarity at this point.
Thanks for your help, my outbound flight is one where the return is the same day back to LGW but then none until alternate days so I understand yes if we were sufficiently delayed into a strike day they could cancel it as the crew could be stuck there for 2 days. What happens to the cabin crew caught up in this I wonder?

I'm glad to hear they may also allow reversion to the original booking in that event, might be worth re booking once allowed to.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lucien Breault
Thank you. I appreciate that. During the cabin crew strike we were very lucky to not have our flight cancelled. It was literally every other flight that was cancelled on both our departure and return. But the lead up to the strike was so drawn out and was such a source of anxiety and but a shadow on our hype for the trip. We don't get to travel internationally often and it is terrible luck running into the same issue 10 years later.

I actually sympathize with the pilots over BA. Industrial action is why companies can't literally work us to death anymore. I wish having a union was an option in my field of work where I live. But for my own personal stake and for so many others I am just hoping a strike can be averted.

It's unfortunate that this conflict could have the side effect of ruining so many people's travel plans. I am just hoping for compromise and the best possible results.

I have so much money, dreaming and time invested in this trip. I can't help but be anxious.
I totally get it, and it's rotten luck to have to worry again. I hope you can take some comfort in the possibility that your travel dates are likely a bit too far out to be affected and that BA will be prepared and still preparing. I suspect the rumours we will get strike dates tomorrow are accurate so you won't have long to wait to find out! I hope your trip goes ahead, having just returned from a Scotland trip myself I can say you will have a wonderful time.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Thanks for your help, my outbound flight is one where the return is the same day back to LGW but then none until alternate days so I understand yes if we were sufficiently delayed into a strike day they could cancel it as the crew could be stuck there for 2 days. What happens to the cabin crew caught up in this I wonder?

I'm glad to hear they may also allow reversion to the original booking in that event, might be worth re booking once allowed to.
Are you on a BA Holiday ? If so the duty office is incredible make sure you have their telephone number stored in your phone when for when I was away.

They are open 24hrs a day and pretty much empowered to do most things. I was in a Cancun and my flights home were cancelled as hurricane Matthew brought most of Florida to a halt. I was told I could stay at the same hotel for 2 extra nights at no charge and fly on the direct Gatwick flight but was rerouted to Philadelphia (confirmed) with onward flights to London on standby and a hotel reserved at Philadelphia with a plan B of flying to JFK from PHIl and then home from there. Plan A worked as people misconnected in PHL and I was met with my new BP at the gate and a call from the team about an hour after landing in PHL to check I had got my onward travel details OK? Clearly if BAs schedule is decimated then re-routing might be harder but there will be other carriers including JV ones

One thing is for sure iff the strike does happen Flyertslk will be one of the best sources of information, updates and advice clearly laid out that will be as real-time as you can get. In all cases of snowmageddon and the IT meltdown and weather this place has been invaluable.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
As always this forum is such a valuable resource of information etc! I’ve got a flight on the 13th September to Munich from LHR so watching the strike news with interest. Apologies if this has already been asked but I usually book direct with BA and so know they would be be my first port of call. In this instance I actually booked my flight with Amex Travel. If the strike is announced for the day of my flight should my first port of call be BA or Amex Travel?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:42 am

No flight only and 3rd party villa and car hire with no flexibility on dates so will lose holiday time if have to change dates.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:25 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
If the strike is announced for the day of my flight should my first port of call be BA or Amex Travel?
Probably Amex Travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.