Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by brunos
According the below source, a strike on Thursday 29 can be called on Thursday 15. There seems to be no hourly clock involved so (3).
https://www.local.gov.uk/our-support...and-e-guides-6
Thanks for that
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You should try reading the press coverage of a story that you know something about in real life.

Then you should try reading the press coverage of a story that you know everything about.

If the first experience doesn't change your mind, the second will.
All of which isn’t unique to the DM or tabloid journalism in general.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:18 am

Does anyone have an idea of when an announcement might be made either strike dates or that they have come to an agreement hopefully? Its taking a while so is that a good sign ? I have September flights so getting close.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
My 29 August date passed, so I am happy.
The total news blackout suggest that both parties are negotiating in earnest ans substantially. This is quite remarkable.
ATCOlad likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:03 am

Pleased your dates are ok but perversely i wanted a strike in August so it might be all over and resolved by my flight in mid September!
wrp96 and andrewkeith5 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Silver VS EI
My outbound fight on 30th now safe 🙏 I don’t particularly mind if they leave me in Barbados 😂 but very hopeful for a resolution at this stage 🤞
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ATCOlad
My outbound fight on 30th now safe 🙏 I don’t particularly mind if they leave me in Barbados 😂 but very hopeful for a resolution at this stage 🤞
Not safe until tonight. Notice can be delivered any time on Friday 16 for a trike starting on Friday 30 (even at 01:00.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by ATCOlad
Likewise relieved my family hols flights 20th and 28th are now safe, however still have many work sectors planned Sept so hope they manage to sort it amicably soon.
ATCOlad likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by brunos
My 29 August date passed, so I am happy.
The total news blackout suggest that both parties are negotiating in earnest ans substantially. This is quite remarkable.
The parties are no longer speaking. BALPA advised in a tweet that talks had concluded and they were reviewing the situation before announcing next steps.

I believe BA have issued their final proposal and Balpa are reviewing to decide if they will be going to strike, accept proposals or go to members for approval.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@KeaneJohn - interesting update, thanks.

Like so many others with forward bookings, I am very much hoping for a no-strike settlement.

In making what they term a ‘final offer’ but one which was not readily accepted by the BALPA team, BA have taken a gamble ..... in fact, quite a significant one. The offer could prove to be adequate - in which case, all is well.

However .....if not ........ well, it seems to me that even the most junior pilots could survive as individuals / families for a number of weeks, on reduced pay (or even no pay at all) ; whereas the cost implications, and long-term damage, arising from even a very short strike would surely be rather more intolerable for BA as a worldwide business.

In the face of only a short period of chaos caused by strike action, the airline would, in all probability, be forced to move its position again, meaning further concessions. I guess I’m stating the obvious in saying that BA really need to think carefully as to whether if it’s really worth delaying the inevitable.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Bit of a newbie question but are all of BA’s pilots members of BALPA?

Can BA operate a limited service in the event of a strike or is it a complete shut down?

Apologies if this has already been asked.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Bit of a newbie question but are all of BA’s pilots members of BALPA?

Can BA operate a limited service in the event of a strike or is it a complete shut down?

Apologies if this has already been asked.
Almost all are members. There are about 500 management pilots who are not members, but BA have no hope of running any service. LHR will be utter gridlock with nowhere to put the arriving aircraft.
oxtailsoup likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
There are about 500 management pilots
Possibly a question for the Ask the Staffer thread, but what is a management pilot and what functions do they perform in terms of management? Is it things such as people management, training, documentation, procedures, safety etc? Why the need for so many? Genuinely interested!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: QF WP
Also are we genuinely saying there are zero line pilots who are not union members?

(i’ve said if above but I suppose bears repeating. Even if there is a vote for strike and a strike is called, individual employees do not have to strike- this applies regardless of how they voted. Similarly those voting not to strike are still allowed to strike)
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd

Possibly a question for the Ask the Staffer thread, but what is a management pilot and what functions do they perform in terms of management? Is it things such as people management, training, documentation, procedures, safety etc? Why the need for so many? Genuinely interested!
They wou8ld be fleet managers, heads of training, standards captains, technical pilots and training captains. They would be responsible for training programs, liaising with aircraft manufacturers ,producing manuals, route documentation, promotions fleet transfers etc..

Not all pilots are BALPA members, there is no closed shop but the vast majority of line pilots are members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.