Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:17 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Apparently, the money element is only one part of the pilots concerns.
1. There is a money issue in relation to perceptions of promises from the past. A better, less "managerial" profit share would resolve that.
2. The open - ended wording about being willing to take any future changes in working practices, at management's instigation, needs to change.
3. The Junior Captains and most FOs believe that their scheduling has become overly arduous and inflexible in recent years. Some sort of agreement to at least listen to pilots concerns, and then act on them would be beneficial.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Umbongo
Oddly, as of now (12:34 BST) there is no publicly available resource (BALPA Twitter, BA Twitter, BA website, online news organisations, BBC etc) which discloses the contents of this bulletin or that a bulletin has been issued. Indeed AFAIAA Bellerophon is the sole source available concerning this bulletin
so 14 days ahead is the bank holiday weekend. This would coincide with the risk of Heathrow staff strikes and Ryanair
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
So if a strike were called today the earliest date would be 23rd August?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Being an optimist, I've just booked 3 more BA sectors in the next month. No, not an optimist as in an "opportunist" (i.e. those types that would book risky things in the hope of getting compensation payouts), but with a genuine hope that flights won't be affected.
I've got EDI > LHR return, EDI > IAD return, EDI > ATL return in the next month, all BA. So I'm being optimistic almost to the point of denial. But since my TP reset today like probably a lot of people, I'm keen for the TP so it's worth the gamble.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Lolbert
So if a strike were called today the earliest date would be 23rd August?
Yep, bank holiday weekend is now the earliest possible date.

I don’t mind being stranded in Greece for a couple of extra days at BA’s expense now 🤣
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:05 am
Suspended

If they fail to announce strikes for the bank holiday weekend and centenary then BALPA either (a) are very close to/confident of an agreement or (b) have lost their nerve and have ceded the upper hand to BA, which isn’t very smart.
sunshinebob and gorps1 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
School holiday disruption, angry parents, crying children, etc must be negative press for the airline and BALPA.
I've wondered from the outset why they weren't waiting for the resumption of business travel in September. Once children are back at school, it's less emotional, and potentially greater impact on reputation and finances for the airline as high value business flights are cancelled and important business meetings are missed.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: QF WP
At risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, the younger generation could do with more disruption and learning to cope. Would save the country a fortune on bringing back national service
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:09 am

The information @Bellerophon posted upthread accords with what I’ve seen (via a reputable source), which also implied that more information would be forthcoming today.

Hopefully, the fact that nothing else has come out means that there was some progress today in spite of the above.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by nancypants
At risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, the younger generation could do with more disruption and learning to cope. Would save the country a fortune on bringing back national service
You succeeded 😂
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by gcuk
School holiday disruption, angry parents, crying children, etc must be negative press for the airline and BALPA.
I've wondered from the outset why they weren't waiting for the resumption of business travel in September. Once children are back at school, it's less emotional, and potentially greater impact on reputation and finances for the airline as high value business flights are cancelled and important business meetings are missed.
When BA lost the appeal, this was at the back of my mind.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:07 am

https://www.chronicle.gi/ba-and-union-continued-talks-overnight-in-bid-to-avert-strike-by-pilots/

No news yet?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
https://www.chronicle.gi/ba-and-union-continued-talks-overnight-in-bid-to-avert-strike-by-pilots/

No news yet?
Can you post a snip if the article as per FT rules please?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Almost without exception, especially these days, strike action by employees points to a lack of competence by the employer.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:42 am

Sorry unfamiliar with rules... extract from the Gibraltar Chronicle today

Alan Jones, PA Industrial Correspondent

Leaders of the pilots' union have continued to meet with British Airways management in a bid to avert a strike over pay.

The two sides held talks on Thursday under the chairmanship of the conciliation service Acas, which said they had "concluded for now".

Members of the British Airline Pilots Association (Balpa) have voted in favour of industrial action.

Balpa general secretary Brian Strutton said on Friday: "Talks at Acas concluded without agreement yesterday evening, however talks between Balpa and British Airways continued overnight. We will bring further news as soon as there are any concrete developments."

Union leaders have held back from naming strike dates while talks continue.

Any news yet?

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.