Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by thejohn
I'm wondering how this action is affecting future bookings, are they down on the normal level of bookings for this time of year?
From past experience, I would say BA know exactly which button to press to get the bookings to flow in again, once the dispute is resolved - as it will be at some point. A few BOGOF deals, an eye catching CW fare to JFK and I'm sure FTers will be spearheading the cavalcade.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
From past experience, I would say BA know exactly which button to press to get the bookings to flow in again, once the dispute is resolved - as it will be at some point. A few BOGOF deals, an eye catching CW fare to JFK and I'm sure FTers will be spearheading the cavalcade.
Well we can't refuse a good TP ratio
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Akoz
It has effected the MASSIVE 4 domestic bookings for Oct I have just made.... now on U2.
8 trips in the next 3 months now gone to other airlines, SH with whoever was best fit, 1 LH to Virgin (for status may H purposes or it would have been AA) with another possibly going to them or Qatar.

I have 4 BA bookings left and if any end up being strike it I will likely cancel rather than rebook then rebook on another airline.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't think BA is waiting that long. The last 2 weeks has seen Germany-USA and France-USA in CW at fares from €995 as well as WT+ from Switzerland to USA for under €500.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by paulaf
Don't give Balpa ideas like that!
I guess BALPA have to be wary of doing stuff like that which would mean comp becomes payable by BA. They don't want to damage the business too much, after all that's the business they are trying to extract money from and need to succeed so there aren't job losses down the road.

A very difficult balance to find.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
I guess BALPA.....don't want to damage the business too much
My opinion is based on media and FT posts. I have no insider knowledge!

I think BALPA have played a sensible game so far. They have tried to be fair, giving more than the 14 days notice so that BA can avoid the compensation claims. And how have BA responded? It appears that they are stonewalling and refusing to negotiate any further.

So BALPA now either back down which is unlikely giving BA's intransigence. I also figure that compared to cabin crew, most pilots can accept some extra unpaid leave. So if BA are prepared to accept a speculated £120 million cost to achieve nothing, BALPA need to raise the ante. BA / IAG are not in a weak financial position and they clearly have a "war chest". How investor confidence responds to this may be the golden egg. Share options are a lucrative reward for most executives - knocking the share price will have an immediate impact on the senior team at BA / IAG.

Finally, whatever BALPA decide do after their next announcement is subject to how BA respond. Announce the erroneously reported 10-day mega strike may be the straw that brings BA back to the table with an acceptable offer. Do this with 14 days and 10 minutes notice means BA face a speculated £400 million cost plus EU compensation for almost 1.5 million passengers. That would get their attention and if not the negotiating team, definitely the shareholders. Both sides need to offer the other side an exit that retains a certain level of victory.

But then with WW and AC, who knows what planet they are getting their strategy from. Captain Edward Smith remains the last captain of the Titanic. Is that how WW wants his Wikipedia to page to read - went down with his ship?

As someone with two affected flights in the current strike period, I say power to the pilots!
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I think BALPA have played a sensible game so far. They have tried to be fair, giving more than the 14 days notice so that BA can avoid the compensation claims.
On top of using the centenary weekend in an effective but not unreasonable way: announce strike dates because of the publicity, but not actually ruin "the party". I was also struck by the fact that the gap between 10 September and 27 September was a few days over the two-week period. In an industrial dispute, you can't be timid if you want to get somewhere, but I agree that even so, BALPA has been acting as reasonably as you would expect a union of professionals to act.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
8 trips in the next 3 months now gone to other airlines, SH with whoever was best fit, 1 LH to Virgin (for status may H purposes or it would have been AA) with another possibly going to them or Qatar.

I have 4 BA bookings left and if any end up being strike it I will likely cancel rather than rebook then rebook on another airline.
If the dates above are true for oct, it would have severely messed up plans that i had that were very important and i had to be there at a certain time on a long haul flight. I ended up booking with united because they dropped to £250 under what i had been looking at.

I am so glad none of my upcoming trips (of which i only have 2) are with BA
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Small observations from the strike(s) so far...

1. I had to fly to the US on a Star Alliance airline with no status last week: it was actually quite pleasant, and I didn't especially miss the BA "status"
2. Take-off from LHR on Monday was amazingly quick: 5 minutes taxi max...goes to show how much of the traffic is BA!
3. I have benefitted from the strikes for my next trip, by persuading BA to move me to what would have been a much more expensive flight without a Saturday night stay (which is much more convenient for me)
4. I met on my trip a load of BA crew who'd be stuck down route for a few days...and who appeared to have become rather (ahem) over-familiar with one another on their extended stay. I shan't say where I was, since my understanding is that some of them would prefer that 'down route stay down route'...it's tough on the picket line...
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by ratypus
Small observations from the strike(s) so far...

1. I had to fly to the US on a Star Alliance airline with no status last week: it was actually quite pleasant, and I didn't especially miss the BA "status"
2. Take-off from LHR on Monday was amazingly quick: 5 minutes taxi max...goes to show how much of the traffic is BA!
3. I have benefitted from the strikes for my next trip, by persuading BA to move me to what would have been a much more expensive flight without a Saturday night stay (which is much more convenient for me)
4. I met on my trip a load of BA crew who'd be stuck down route for a few days...and who appeared to have become rather (ahem) over-familiar with one another on their extended stay. I shan't say where I was, since my understanding is that some of them would prefer that 'down route stay down route'...it's tough on the picket line...
Surely the taxi duration is a function of which runway is in use, time of your flight and gate, can’t say I would pick any particular carrier based on the LHR taxi time.

Quite frankly I care very little what CC get up to down route and provide it doesn’t impact on me or safety that’s their own business.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ratypus
... and who appeared to have become rather (ahem) over-familiar with one another on their extended stay. I shan't say where I was, since my understanding is that some of them would prefer that 'down route stay down route' ...
The devil in me wants to ask how different this is from normal ops?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Krisz
I think it does have negative effect on future bookings but not that much. Most of the business travellers are buying tickets within the 14 days period so they know will be any impact or not on that route. L
I dunno, I am just planning a week-long business trip in mid-October and have asked my PA to avoid BA because of the uncertainty. I suspect most business travel is like mine, scheduled a few weeks in advance, rather than more hurried?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by Krisz
Most of the business travellers are buying tickets within the 14 days period so they know will be any impact or not on that route.
I refute that. Our travel policy actively encourages booking with at least 21 days notice, and you need a good excuse to break this.
aristoph, mikeyfly and SoggyDollar like this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Well I haven't a clue what a BA pilot earns....perks 'n all. I also don't have a clue what BA pilots are demanding and what BA has offered them so far.

My only concern about this whole affair is two family members of mine are booked to fly to EZE from Scotland in late November and are bringing me lots of goodies I cannot get here!! I'm not losing too much sleep over it just yet though.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I start a project in the US in October and have told 7 people that under no circumstances are they to fly BA. It's not the money I care about, I just need them there between certain dates. My company has a massive coprorate deal with BA so they will not remove them as an option from Concur, so everything is an exception which is rather annoying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.