Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:40 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
What are the chances these industrial actions continue on into the next 3 months? We don't fly until December but were counting on BA. Anyone care to illuminate for me?

P.S. I just got a survey about my BA loyalty. I mentioned that the strike tarnished the airways image. They should pay each employee the wage that the market sets or higher for the job done. I did say happy employees make for a better company. Sorry stock holders it is for the greater good of our favorite airline.
Crampedin13A and delores like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 10:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by rapidex
BA can wet lease any European aircraft they wish. Problem is, with almost 800 B737max grounded or in Boeings car parks, and a number of B787's without engines the available wet lease fleets are almost completely contracted.
As well as that, it's still not off-season when spare capacity is much more readily available...
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mdj1
It strikes me that if the pilots took a pay cut to help BA in the hard times, then THAT would have been the TIME for bapla to negotiate a deal with BA. Not several years down the line?

Why didn't BALPA negotiate then?
AIUI, that was the deal that was negotiated then. The airline was facing potential bankruptcy, given what had happened in the wider world, how that could affect London, and the special sensitivity of BA's business to London's health. And IIRC, nobody knew whether the wider economic measures that were taken then would or wouldn't be successful (their long-term effects are still a topic of hot controversy), and in what timescale.

What kind of a deal do you think that BALPA should have negotiated at the time of the pay cuts?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by ijkh
What are the chances these industrial actions continue on into the next 3 months? We don't fly until December but were counting on BA. Anyone care to illuminate for me?

P.S. I just got a survey about my BA loyalty. I mentioned that the strike tarnished the airways image. They should pay each employee the wage that the market sets or higher for the job done. I did say happy employees make for a better company. Sorry stock holders it is for the greater good of our favorite airline.
Yes I was far more critical of them this survey as well.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I wouldn't disagree with that, but by the same token dont come round with your begging bowl out when times are hard, with the promise to reimburse the concessions when good times return, then stick 2 fingers up and renege on that promise later.
I would not look at pay cuts in isolation. I took 3 pay cuts since 2008 with no promise of making it up when the things are better and watched my colleagues being let go right and left. When I look out to the real world though I see that I am still in a privileged position of having a great job and I don't think how much money my company is making now. I have no right to participate in those profits because I am not the owner or a shareholder, and I don't risk my money with running that company. If you think that the pilots were asked to have a 2.6% pay cut to save a few jobs you need to take into account that it happened in order to keep as many people employed as possible. The alternative would be collecting unemployment. Getting paid and keeping one's job when the company was losing huge amounts of money should account for something. Imagine if BA had not asked for concessions but simply made the pilots it did not need redundant. Should not it matter that they were getting paid through those years?
More importantly, what puzzles me is that people look at what the company is making or what the CEO is making - I just don't understand that. I just don't think about 'me' in that equation; I also try to think from the company's point of view.
I am all for people getting more money and better employment terms but things are not as black and white as some to portray here.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Imagine if BA had not asked for concessions but simply made the pilots it did not need redundant. Should not it matter that they were getting paid through those years?
"What if?" is a game that is often interesting but equally often unfruitful. What if BA had not made promises about the future when asking for concessions then? What would the pilots have done? How would BA's size have been affected? What would the company and its finances look like now? How strong would BA be? Would IAG exist at all?

As I said before, honouring your promises never goes out of fashion. Especially when the promises are about what you will do when the good times are back, and good times then do come back.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I wish we knew the full truth about this set of "concessions". We know BALPA gave them. From memory, 2.6% on salary reduced, and more reduced on some of the "extras". Do BA believe they have paid them back?
If they have not, that is not the behaviour of a Great Employer.
Well sadly BALPA are in dispute with BA, not appearing in the court of Flyertalk, and M'lud will not get to give his judgement.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I wish we knew the full truth about this set of "concessions".
You're not the only one, but we are told that only the BALPA mafia are allowed to know the facts. Makes you wonder what they have to hide?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
You're not the only one, but we are told that only the BALPA mafia are allowed to know the facts. Makes you wonder what they have to hide?
The matter is simply private.
delores, Silver Fox and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
As I said before, honouring your promises never goes out of fashion. Especially when the promises are about what you will do when the good times are back, and good times then do come back.
I am all for honouring promises, and I pride myself for being the man of my word (however silly it sounds).
It seems that BA did make an offer to make up for the cuts that the pilots were asked to make, which the pilots are not happy with. It is now a different kind of game.

The matter is simply private.

How come we're discussing it here, then?
And you seem to be wanting for everyone to agree with you and to take BALPA's side without knowing all the facts. That is strange. If the matter is private, and surely we're not privy to what is going on, we should not be talking about it at all?
krispy84 likes this.

Last edited by Andriyko; Sep 14, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
I am all for honouring promises, and I pride myself for being the man of my word (however silly it sounds).
It seems that BA did make an offer to make up for the cuts that the pilots were asked to make, which the pilots are not happy with. It is now a different kind of game.

How come we're discussing it here, then?
And you seem to be wanting for everyone to agree with you and to take BALPA's side without knowing all the facts. That is strange. If the matter is private, and surely we're not privy to what is going on, we should not be talking about it at all?
Oh come on. We can discuss and speculate away, but that doesn’t mean BALPA have to tell us everything. Perfectly legitimate for them not to.

I was broadly neutral on this (“he said, she said”) until BA massively messed up their management of the strike and seem to prefer retaliation and blame to genuine progress.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Oh come on. We can discuss and speculate away, but that doesn’t mean BALPA have to tell us everything. Perfectly legitimate for them not to.
Sure, speculate away. But when people say 'I'm with the pilots,' I wonder whether it's because they think that BA is in the wrong simply because it is BA and it is in vogue to dislike the company on Flyertalk. How can one say that BA should just give the pilots what they want without knowing what it is that they want?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Sure, speculate away. But when people say 'I'm with the pilots,' I wonder whether it's because they think that BA is in the wrong simply because it is BA and it is in vogue to dislike the company on Flyertalk. How can one say that BA should just give the pilots what they want without knowing what it is that they want?
Because BA haven’t rebutted the arguments coherently, if they did I could change my mind based on that, e.g.
- can they point to allowances etc. being restored in some way
- can they say that pilots have been treated on a par with other employees since 2007 (not just this offer)
- if they laid off the cheap and superficial attack lines of “pilots already earn X”
- if they condemned the hatchet jobs by certain media outlets harassing the BALPA secretary and his family on holiday
- if they weren’t so blatantly briefing or encouraging the same press with stories about certain pilots commuting from Sydney or leaving abroad and not paying tax etc.

At BA open day a few years ago I was chatting to a pilot who was missing some family event or other because of the way rostering was working. So there’s been issues for a long while beyond just $€£
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Because BA haven’t rebutted the arguments coherently, if they did I could change my mind based on that, e.g.
- can they point to allowances etc. being restored in some way
- can they say that pilots have been treated on a par with other employees since 2007 (not just this offer)
- if they laid off the cheap and superficial attack lines of “pilots already earn X”
- if they condemned the hatchet jobs by certain media outlets harassing the BALPA secretary and his family on holiday
- if they weren’t so blatantly briefing or encouraging the same press with stories about certain pilots commuting from Sydney or leaving abroad and not paying tax etc.

At BA open day a few years ago I was chatting to a pilot who was missing some family event or other because of the way rostering was working. So there’s been issues for a long while beyond just $€£
this is ridiculous, they are paid well and they know very well a pilots life takes you away from home, I even spoke with a ba captain who tells me he does short haul because he wants to be with his family more!

They might as well strike because ba is becoming worse and worse in some areas, they might get more public sympathy then!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
this is ridiculous, they are paid well and they know very well a pilots life takes you away from home, I even spoke with a ba captain who tells me he does short haul because he wants to be with his family more!

They might as well strike because ba is becoming worse and worse in some areas, they might get more public sympathy then!
Same ........ that what they’re paid in absolute terms negates anything else their employer may do to their terms.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.