Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
What's the verdict guys, are you all still flying BA or reconsidering to save risks and flying other carriers as you don't want the hassle of maybe having to change flights?
I saw some article, they said something like 80 destinations where BA has a monopoly from LHR.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
What's the verdict guys, are you all still flying BA or reconsidering to save risks and flying other carriers as you don't want the hassle of maybe having to change flights?
I saw some article, they said something like 80 destinations where BA has a monopoly from LHR.
I’m flying EDI LHR IAD on 18th Sep, back on 26th, then EDI LHR ATL on 29th and back 4th Oct. All with BA. Then EDI LGW MCO mid Oct. Also BA.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
All very depressing! Do BA really think they can win this one?
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA management still showing a complete disregard for customers and employees. One has to assume there's a plan but I really cannot fathom what it is. This must be costing a lot in both money and goodwill.
Silver Fox and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
The customers on the street blame the pilots not BA. BALPA will have to do a lot more to get the general public on their side.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:45 pm

As a ‘customer on the street’ and potentially affected with flights on the 27th, I’m with the pilots.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by Agent69
I guess the problem is that the people offering 5% won't go past 6%, and the union asking for 20% won't accept less than 19%.

Whatever happened to pendulum arbitration? It appeared to be a very sensible system for settling disputes, but you never hear of it these days. Anyone know the cause for it's demise?
Given the loss of good faith I suspect the ability to compromise has been, well, compromised, but as I’ve probably said previously a suspect the bulk of this is not actually about the money. %s are relatively easy to thrash out, more nebulous terms and conditions stuff less so

re pendulum arbitration, not sure but I believe we have something similar in Australia
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
It was referenced in a GIF upthread, but this does remind me a lot of Alex Cruz's BA:
"No boss ... you ruined your holiday - because you was a cheapskate and you booked with a crap airline"
BA1 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by alexwuk
It was referenced in a GIF upthread, but this does remind me a lot of Alex Cruz's BA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZzefRR088Q
dupe
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by passy777
As a ‘customer on the street’ and potentially affected with flights on the 27th, I’m with the pilots.
Ditto. Got a few trips coming up in Sept/Oct and Nov, all leisure including a mates Birthday & a parents 65th.

Potentially stand to loose money as ground (hotels etc) booked and prepaid- non refundable, for a lot of people.
Not to mention milestone birthdays messed up, long standing plans in tatters, etc etc. Stuff you can’t get back (not sure how many holidays with parents are left)...

IF this happens there is only one side to blame for me! Walsh, Cruz and BA management. I won’t be blaming any pilots at all.

Good luck again, to all BA pilots. Don’t give in, stand firm in solidarity. If my trips are disrupted maybe I’ll pop to visit them on the picket line to give some words of support.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I thought LCY was not going to be cancelled due to strikes? What the ????? I gave up F flights from LAX to LHR to okay a nice J BA 2 because I need to be in London on 10/10....I am going to be one unhappy person if that gets screwed up. I'd be very curious to hear what folks think my chances are for getting from JFK to anywhere in the UK on 9/9 (arriving very early AM at JFK from SEA). What are BA's obligations? I know there are various comments on here but I'm thinking there are a lot of other possible seats to be had from JFK so BA should be able to offer me an alternative? This is an awards ticket.

Just chatted with Alaska who tell me BA is refusing to re-book awards tickets booked through AS to any other airline and are forcing reward ticket holders to take the next available BA flight. Any thoughts, please?

Last edited by kileysmom; Sep 12, 2019 at 7:13 pm Reason: New information
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by kileysmom
I thought LCY was not going to be cancelled due to strikes? What the ????? I gave up F flights from LAX to LHR to okay a nice J BA 2 because I need to be in London on 10/10....I am going to be one unhappy person if that gets screwed up. I'd be very curious to hear what folks think my chances are for getting from JFK to anywhere in the UK on 9/9 (arriving very early AM at JFK from SEA). What are BA's obligations? I know there are various comments on here but I'm thinking there are a lot of other possible seats to be had from JFK so BA should be able to offer me an alternative? This is an awards ticket.

Just chatted with Alaska who tell me BA is refusing to re-book awards tickets booked through AS to any other airline and are forcing reward ticket holders to take the next available BA flight. Any thoughts, please?
My understanding is it’s not so much LCY as BA CityFlyer not affected- I think the babybus Pilots are basically members of the LHR/LGW pool
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by kileysmom

A bit confused by your dates do you mean Oct.9? Have they announced strike dates for Oct.9 and and Oct. 10? I have flights on both days but i haven't heard anything regarding those 2 dates. I agree BA are normally reluctant to book you on non OW carriers but apparently they have realized they haven't got much choice with these amounts of cancellations
Old Sep 12, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by nancypants
My understanding is it’s not so much LCY as BA CityFlyer not affected- I think the babybus Pilots are basically members of the LHR/LGW pool
That’s correct. The BA 1/2 flight deck crew are LHR based and the cabin crew LGW based.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
You know, I was concerned that this was the case. I'm thinking I back this one up with a decent fare on someone else....back to the drawing boards.
Crampedin13A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.