Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G-BNLY [Landor-liveried B744] Stuck in LAS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
I would imagine so - 747 engines look fairly small (compared to a 777, for example), but I'm definitely no expert.

However, the post a few above mine stated that the new engine was being sent in a 747F last night, and I assumed that poster had some inside knowledge on the matter...
For sure.

Scheduled to depart LAS tomorrow. Arriving at LHR 10am (Tuesday I guess). BA9178E.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Does this mean that the colours will not match, or do the covers stay with the aircraft?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Akoz
Does this mean that the colours will not match, or do the covers stay with the aircraft?
Usually the engine casing will stay with the aircraft.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Deltus
I would imagine so - 747 engines look fairly small (compared to a 777, for example), but I'm definitely no expert.

However, the post a few above mine stated that the new engine was being sent in a 747F last night, and I assumed that poster had some inside knowledge on the matter...
Someone posted very early in the thread that the size of the cradle in which the engine is transported means that it can only fit on a 747 main deck (or a larger aircraft).
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:22 pm

Originally posted by FN-GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoz Does this mean that the colours will not match, or do the covers stay with the aircraft?
Usually the engine casing will stay with the aircraft.
Usually, perhaps, but not invariably. I recall seeing, back in 2012, one of the A320-series in the "Dove" paint scheme with a plain blue cover on one side of one of its engines. Many years before that, there was a BAC 111 with its rudder in a completely different paint scheme to the rest of the aircraft.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by RGS5526
Usually, perhaps, but not invariably. I recall seeing, back in 2012, one of the A320-series in the "Dove" paint scheme with a plain blue cover on one side of one of its engines. Many years before that, there was a BAC 111 with its rudder in a completely different paint scheme to the rest of the aircraft.
That will be because they are damaged in some way. If it's just the engine itself that is faulty the casing should be fine.
ShuttleRunner likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
Here she is looking all lonely the other day.
It's tempting to wonder whether someone will post a question asking if BA has sent this ancient aircraft to LAS for repainting into a modern livery.
FoxtrotOscar likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's tempting to wonder whether someone will post a question asking if BA has sent this ancient aircraft to LAS for repainting into a modern livery.
......or out of the nearby desert and returning to service?
FoxtrotOscar and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
This particular aircraft hasn’t had a good run recently. It was stuck in Austin Texas about 2 weeks ago for 4 or 5 days awaiting a part from HQ before being flown back to Heathrow, and now it’s stuck in LAS - the economics of keeping these planes flying for 26+yrs must start to be questionable when you add up the downtime + repair costs this bird has had over the past month alone!

Pilot37
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Pilot37
... the economics of keeping these planes flying for 26+yrs must start to be questionable when you add up the downtime + repair costs this bird has had over the past month alone!
What we don't see is how much downtime newer aircraft have, so we have no means of reliably comparing these. It's not as if the newer aircraft always function reliably day in, day out.

What we can be more confident about is that the cost of ownership of these aircraft is probably very small - perhaps even zero. Probably no expensive lease / finance payments to be made, unlike for others in the fleet. They ought to have bumper stickers on their APU housings saying "It may be old, but it's paid for and it's in front of you."
mikem004 and Deltus like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by Akoz
I think that’s right, I just assumed it would be a white nosecone that was the first to change. The Dove A319s eventually ended up with blue engines after few years of peacemeal changes!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Now that the aircraft is back at LHR, do we know if they have kept the Landor painted cowlings or have these been replaced by the standard BA blue?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Now that the aircraft is back at LHR, do we know if they have kept the Landor painted cowlings or have these been replaced by the standard BA blue?
Just seen it arrive. Two panels have been replaced and are standard blue.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Pilot37
This particular aircraft hasn’t had a good run recently. It was stuck in Austin Texas about 2 weeks ago for 4 or 5 days awaiting a part from HQ before being flown back to Heathrow, and now it’s stuck in LAS - the economics of keeping these planes flying for 26+yrs must start to be questionable when you add up the downtime + repair costs this bird has had over the past month alone!

Pilot37
as opposed to these modern A380s that never seem to get stuck anywhere?
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.