Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G-BNLY [Landor-liveried B744] Stuck in LAS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by BAW217

Can’t do it on a BA 744, hence the need to charter or buy space on a scheduled service if there is room.
Why not though ( out of interest) is it only for RR engines? QF did do it under left wing..
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell

I understand that. But Rolls Royce ship countless engines to Boeing prior to final assembly. Thought they might have “spares”
No new plane is being built on an RB211, so there wouldn't be "spares". Additionally, the RBs are owned and managed by BA, contrary for instance to the Trent on the 380 or the GE90s which are owned by the engine manufacturers and leased to the airline on a power-by-the-hour basis. Having said that, even in that case it's usually BA who does the engine changes downroute, see an A380 down in JNB a few years ago.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprised they didn't ferry the aircraft back on 3 engines!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nivsy
Why not though ( out of interest) is it only for RR engines? QF did do it under left wing..
BA don’t have the option on their 747s to attach a 5th engine pod. It’s a customer option from Boeing (If I remember correctly) which BA didn’t see the need of having. Thus there is no way of fitting a 5th engine to the wing.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BAW217

BA don’t have the option on their 747s to attach a 5th engine pod. It’s a customer option from Boeing (If I remember correctly) which BA didn’t see the need of having. Thus there is no way of fitting a 5th engine to the wing.
You can do anything with enough duck tape.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by milkyway88
You can do anything with enough duck tape.
Zip ties for the win!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:39 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Well there are no 747 cargo flights scheduled into EMA today as far as I can see
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:58 am

Whilst the engine will need to ship main deck, if memory serves me correctly, these engines will fit into more freighters than just a 747.

Don't know if BA will charter their own flight or the nearest scheduled service which is likely to be a CV service to LAX.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: BA Gold

​​​​​​Here she is looking all lonely the other day. Almost took this flight but the x2 TP for routing via PHL was just too tempting!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:57 am

BA has a good working relationship with Volga-Dnepr and Antonov Airlines. In the past they both were used to ship engines downroute, as in the case of the A380 in Jo'burg that needed a new engine or the A380 in Miami that needed a new cowling. I do remember seeing an Il-76 in West Base a few years ago but I believe those planes are now banned in most of the EU, unless they have newer engines (which I believe only the Russian Air Force has at present and I doubt that Mr Putin will lend us one).
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by 13901
BA has a good working relationship with Volga-Dnepr and Antonov Airlines. In the past they both were used to ship engines downroute, as in the case of the A380 in Jo'burg that needed a new engine or the A380 in Miami that needed a new cowling. I do remember seeing an Il-76 in West Base a few years ago but I believe those planes are now banned in most of the EU, unless they have newer engines (which I believe only the Russian Air Force has at present and I doubt that Mr Putin will lend us one).
We get IL-76’s at EMA regularly, and there’s probably an AN124 in every other week. But there’s nothing scheduled to KLAS today. I would expect that if RR had a spare RB211, EMA would be the nearest airport to try and get it out of.

There’ll be F1 cargo flights coming back from Canada on Tuesday I should think, so if it goes from EMA, they might be able to charter one of those if they haven’t found something by then
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

We get IL-76’s at EMA regularly, and there’s probably an AN124 in every other week. But there’s nothing scheduled to KLAS today. I would expect that if RR had a spare RB211, EMA would be the nearest airport to try and get it out of.

There’ll be F1 cargo flights coming back from Canada on Tuesday I should think, so if it goes from EMA, they might be able to charter one of those if they haven’t found something by then
It's very unlikely that anything will be shipped out of EMA, for two reasons: firstly BA owns the RB211s mounted on the 747s. There are, in fact, a number of engines in the workshop on the ground floor of Technical Block C. Secondly, even in the case of power-by-the-hour engines, the relief party flies out of LHR or STN with their tooling, equipment and - of course - engine. Stansted, I understand, is where Antonovs prefer to fly when visiting the UK. There's a team in what used to be called Tech 6 Casualty that is normally sent out to do engine changes and so on. Having checked a bit in my archive and I've got a photo that ended up on some internal news, hopefully it won't be a problem if I post it here; I did not take the photo so the credit is 100% BA's and of the colleague who took it. I believe this was a relief flight for a stricken A380 in Miami and the location is Engineering base in LHR. You can see on the right the A380 hangars of TBA and, on the left, the engine run pen. I could swear I had a photo like this of an Il-76 taken from the 9th floor of TBC - I remember seeing that T-tail as I was going in for a meeting - but I cannot find it. Pity.

Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I remember that day fondly! Shipping out a nose cowl for an A380 that crashed into an airbridge in MIA - I took a similar picture myself from the TBC car park.

In this instance I would be expecting them to get a concession for a 3 engine ferry back to LHR to be fitted with a replacement. If not it would be a heavy lifter leaving LHR to deliver the engine...
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
There was a three engine 747 ferry last year. It ended up going to CWL instead.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:07 am

I remember - it was 2012, or 2013 - a Mid-J having engine troubles out of Phoenix. Eventually they didn't do a ferry because, if I remember correctly, they didn't have enough lift - given the hot weather - to go all the way to LHR without stopping en route. Having never been to Vegas I don't know whether it's any different there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.