Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reservation fees increase

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 6:57 am

Point taken, SubjectToLoad. Your humour is always appreciated. Unlike many here, I am am a leisure traveller. For those using redemptions, the CW advanced seating selection fees can make F seem better value. This is dependent on route and how Avios are valued by the individual, of course. Cheers.
subject2load likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Well you just need to GOOGLE something like - eu commission unfair competition airlines - that should return enough material to give you the gist of it.

That goes without saying. I do the same.
Thanks for the tip. Googling gives this:

About 4,720,000 results (0.51 seconds)

Perhaps you will be kind enough to share where you read it ?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
Thanks for the tip. Googling gives this:

About 4,720,000 results (0.51 seconds)
Strange, I never got as many as that. Sure out of habit you didn't type 'Why is BA CUSTOMER SERVICE so bad'?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Strange, I never got as many as that. Sure out of habit you didn't type 'Why is BA CUSTOMER SERVICE so bad'?
Good effort at deflecting a question ! Are you sure you did not work in the Govt ?
And BTW, the mentions of poor BA CUSTOMER Service are becoming more frequent.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HMPS
Good effort at deflecting a question ! Are you sure you did not work in the Govt ?
And BTW, the mentions of poor BA CUSTOMER Service are becoming more frequent.
The first page of search results will be enough to give you the info you're after. EK do seem to have started changing their ways. I suspect QR will as well especially if they want to remain part of Oneworld.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Unhappy

I simply do not understand why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a flight and then pay for seat selection.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, AJNEDC!
Originally Posted by AJNEDC
I simply do not understand why anyone would pay thousands of dollars for a flight and then pay for seat selection.
It's not compulsory, so nobody has to.

But if there's a particular seat that you want and you may not be able to get it for free whether at check-in or earlier, then that would seem to be a good reason to pay. It seems perfectly rational.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The simple answer is that they don't realise before purchase and want to ensure they get a decent seat once they realised.

The longer answer is that they will then fall into three categories: 1) they only bought BA because it was the cheapest; 2) they, for one reason or another, have decided that they will move business to BA so that they will quickly attain status and won't have to pay again, or 3) they decide that they won't fly BA again.

Presumably BA have calculated that the incremental revenue from those in category 2 exceeds the potential revenue lost from those in category 3. Perhaps other airlines have come to the opposite conclusion.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Presumably BA have calculated that the incremental revenue from those in category 2 exceeds the potential revenue lost from those in category 3. Perhaps other airlines have come to the opposite conclusion.
You've forgotten to include in this calculation the more reliable revenue coming to BA from those who don't fall into any of those three categories, but who find that this policy is one of the reasons in favour of choosing BA over other airlines.

It doesn't apply to those who are doing the paying, which was the subject of AJNEDC's question, but I'd be very surprised if it does feature in BA's calculations.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The simple answer is that they don't realise before purchase and want to ensure they get a decent seat once they realised.

The longer answer is that they will then fall into three categories: 1) they only bought BA because it was the cheapest; 2) they, for one reason or another, have decided that they will move business to BA so that they will quickly attain status and won't have to pay again, or 3) they decide that they won't fly BA again.

or
4) are well aware of how BA works, don’t chase status and factors the cost of seat selection in to the ticket price
5) same for 4 but with miles redemption.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:11 am

Many people dont. Oneworld Emerald and Saphire get free seating at time of booking. Ruby at the 7 day mark. Those are the people BA care about, not the once in a lifetime flyer.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by orbitmic
the people for and against are always the same
Not quite true. I have qualified for Gold since last time I took part in a debate about it
orbitmic, HMPS, rapidex and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Welcome to FT, AJNEDC!It's not compulsory, so nobody has to.

But if there's a particular seat that you want and you may not be able to get it for free whether at check-in or earlier, then that would seem to be a good reason to pay. It seems perfectly rational.
Thank you for the welcome. I have been lurking for many years...

This in no way seems rational to me. My expectation of rational is if I am being asked to pay $8,000 for a business class ticket to anywhere (currently cost on BA JFK/LHR end of June), that it is an unmitigated insult to ask me to pay additionally for any seat I want to select. By your reasoning of rational, why not pay for entry to the lounge just to ensure you do get in and that you are not barred because it could be filled with other passengers? There are certain services that should part of certain price points that one pays for any product, an airline ticket should be no different.
twincheeks likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My expectation of rational is if I am being asked to pay $8,000 for a business class ticket to anywhere (currently cost on BA JFK/LHR end of June), that it is an unmitigated insult to ask me to pay additionally for any seat I want to select.
Then that is what the free market is for. There are other airlines that will not insult you thus. I suspect that we would both agree that if you have an otherwise equal choice between two airlines, one of which will insult you and the other of which will not, it would be irrational to choose the one that is being rude.
By your reasoning of rational, why not pay for entry to the lounge just to ensure you do get in ... There are certain services that should part of certain price points that one pays for any product, an airline ticket should be no different.
Like lounge access? Which, if my memory serves me correctly, is included with every domestic first class fare within the US?
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:09 am

Wouldn't an $8,000 ticket likely be in a fare bucket that included seat assignements?
HMPS and TravelManBiz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.