Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA pulling Kiev and St Petersburg routes effective 4 Oct 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA pulling Kiev and St Petersburg routes effective 4 Oct 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Smile

Apologies in advance for this post but this has never happened to me in all the time I have flown BA.

1.When they are finding an alternative route back from KBP-LHR does it have to be on a one world partner or a airline that is afflicted with 1W?
2. I have a flight on a separate booking LHR-MAN later in the day, will BA change that flight to accommodate my new flights from Kiev?

I also have a few flights to Moscow booked through out this year. Does anyone think these flights may be cancelled/suspended?
Again apologies in advance as I am new to this.

Thanks
Old May 23, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dazwilkinson
Apologies in advance for this post but this has never happened to me in all the time I have flown BA.

1.When they are finding an alternative route back from KBP-LHR does it have to be on a one world partner or a airline that is afflicted with 1W?
2. I have a flight on a separate booking LHR-MAN later in the day, will BA change that flight to accommodate my new flights from Kiev?

I also have a few flights to Moscow booked through out this year. Does anyone think these flights may be cancelled/suspended?
Again apologies in advance as I am new to this.

Thanks
At this stage BA would prefer their passengers to be booked on non-partner SAS, rather than S7 or AY.
For St Petersburg BA want their passengers booked on SAS via Stockholm or Copenhagen, but this is specifically to London. If there are no connecting BA services from Stockholm of Copenhagen then BA passengers can be rebooked on SK metal to London. It doesn't seem unreadable to be booked MAN-CPH/ARN-KBP, but that's not, strictly speaking, what BA have instructed their agents to do - at this stage.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:44 am

Just spoke to BA- no rerouting options yet for the KBP flights
Old May 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
It doesn't seem unreadable to be booked MAN-CPH/ARN-KBP, but that's not, strictly speaking, what BA have instructed their agents to do - at this stage.
SAS doesn't operate any flights to KBP. If you search for ARN-KBP, then SAS routes you on Lufthansa via FRA or MUC. BA's SAS rerouting is only for LHR-LED passengers.

For LHR-KBP, the simplest rerouting sounds like LHR-LGW-KBP using National Express and Ukraine International Airways (PS). However, if you've have booked XXX-LHR-KBP, then a different routing may be better, in particular if XXX-LHR-LGW-KBP requires getting a British visa whereas XXX-LHR-KBP does not.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:46 am

Self deleted

Last edited by flyslow; May 23, 2019 at 7:20 am Reason: Correction
Old May 23, 2019, 7:06 am

Petition

Olga skyba had started a petition on change.org for stopping the ba suspension would u guys go there and sign it please we have 53 sigs so far could help ?? Really hope u can many thanks in advance
Old May 23, 2019, 7:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Anthony Grishmann
Olga skyba had started a petition on change.org for stopping the ba suspension would u guys go there and sign it please we have 53 sigs so far could help ?? Really hope u can many thanks in advance
It won't do any good. If people used the service it wouldn't be pulled.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:01 am

SK starts flights to KBP from OSL with winter schedule. Probably, BA might be willing to move everyone there. I imagine that SK will not be able to sell first winter flights too great, so it would be easier for BA to negotiate better price.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Vekor
SK starts flights to KBP from OSL with winter schedule.
Is that going to be daily flights though? I checked for a weekend in November and SK only had flights on Saturday, nothing on Friday, Sunday and Monday.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Anthony Grishmann
What difference would it make? BA are in the business of maximising profit, and not a public service.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by flyslow
Is that going to be daily flights though? I checked for a weekend in November and SK only had flights on Saturday, nothing on Friday, Sunday and Monday.
Three times a week. Definitely not going to work for everyone, so this might be just one of the options. I suspect another option would be direct PS flight from LGW.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by rossmacd
What difference would it make? BA are in the business of maximising profit, and not a public service.
i agree. With IAG, LH Group, and AFKL all posting significant reductions in their operating profits and citing overcapacity as a major contributing factor for this, weak performing routes targeted for withdrawal is an inevitable consequence.

What's often unexpected is the weakest routes are not always those with the greatest competition.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:08 pm

Re booking options for both routes have been updated and include via FRA or MUC and onwards with LH.
Prospero, DYKWIA and wrp96 like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC
Got my KPB flight refunded to my Amex today.

just slightly concerned about a future booking Moscow with BA for the 8.45 departure but it’s a risk I need to take as a cheap reward flight v £240 one way with Aeroflot.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dazwilkinson

No, it probably won't be a oneworld airline involved (edit, actually it's on Lufthansa). For the Manchester flight, strictly speaking BA will regard that as an unrelated contract so they won't move it, but when the rebooking arrangements are brought online, after booking the replacement travel, I would ask to see if they will consider it. I'm not optimistic but hopefully the replacement flights can be worked around this.

There is no news on the Moscow flights, but unless relations between the UK/EU and Russia improve, both politically and economically, then a downwards spiral seems plausible. But I really can't see the route being pulled altogether unless there is a further increase in tension.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.