Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA pulling Kiev and St Petersburg routes effective 4 Oct 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA pulling Kiev and St Petersburg routes effective 4 Oct 2019

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 2:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
An update from BA. Seems like further rebooking options are also being finalised.

Kiev and St. Petersburg suspensions - Customer Guidelines

Answer Id 7480 Updated 20/05/2019 12.21 PM (BST)
Summary
For commercial reasons, British Airways has announced the suspension of services between London Heathrow (LHR) and Kiev (KBP) and St. Petersburg (LED) from 4 October 2019.
The last date of operation for both Kiev and St. Petersburg will be 3 October 2019.

More information
Advice for agents
• Customers on these services will be cancelled with no alternative flight offered
• Please offer customers options from the Conditions of Carriage – Flight Cancellations
• We are in contact with interline partners for a possible involuntary rebooking guideline onto their services. These will be published as received. If your customer wishes to wait for a possible rebooking guideline then please place the PNR on hold
Old May 21, 2019, 5:43 am

Update for LED

Customer Guidelines - LED suspension - Update 1 - 21May19 1045hrs (UK)Key Message
British Airways has announced the suspension of services between London Heathrow (LHR) and St. Petersburg (LED). The last date of operation for St. Petersburg will be 03rd October 2019. The following guidelinesare available to assist our ticketed customers booked to travel after these dates. Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is CANCELLED

Route affected London (LHR) – St. Petersburg (LED)
Tickets issued by 17 May 2019
Ticket travel dates 04 October 2019 onwards

Rebooking Allowance on BA
Rebook onto any British Airways operated service betweenLondon (LHR) and St. Petersburg (LED) or v.v. departing on or before 03 October 2019.

Rebook into the same class as original or the lowest class available in the same cabin.

Alternatively follow all rebooking or refund options from standard customer guidelines.

Rebooking Allowance on SAS (SK)
Rebook onto SAS (SK) services between Stockholm (ARN) or Copenhagen (CPH) and St. Petersburg (LED) or v.v. as close to the original travel date as possible but not earlier than 27 October 2019

Must rebook into the following booking classes:

Business – C/D/Z/I
Economy – E/M/H/Q/V/W/U/K/L/T/O/G/X/N

Then rebook a connecting British Airways operated service between Stockholm (ARN) or Copenhagen (CPH) and London (LON) or v.v. Rebook into the same class as original or if not available thelowest class in the same cabin

If a connecting British Airways service is not available you may rebook a SAS (SK) operated service betweenStockholm (ARN) or Copenhagen (CPH) and London (LON)or v.v. using the boking classes above

Must add: OS SK INVOL SK/BA AGREEMENT

Additional Information
Redemptions included

Rebooking Allowance on other airlines
We are in contact with several interline partners for a possible involuntary rebooking guideline onto their services. These will be published as received.

Origin/Destination/Stopover changes
Yes – As per standard customer guidelines

Refunds Allowed
Yes – As per standard customer guidelines

Available for Trade
Yes

Important Information
  • One involuntary ticket change allowed, this includes any refund which once actioned is not reversible
  • Do not rebook onto any other carrier unless allowed in the fare rules of the ticket OR until an involuntary rebooking option is published above
  • Adherence to commercial policies/standard customer guidelines remains entirely the responsibility of the user. BA reserves the right to withdraw guidelines at any time
Old May 21, 2019, 7:24 am

Thanks

Thanks so much @KARFA for this update

BA specifically told me it was refund only.. so disappointed with them and their abject dishonesty..and glad to have found you guys here and your advice to wait a bit.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by flyandeat

BA specifically told me it was refund only.. so disappointed with them and their abject dishonesty..and glad to have found you guys here and your advice to wait a bit.
It depends when you asked. The SK re-booking option was introduced today, and if you called a couple of days ago a refund was the only option. There may be other option in the coming days.
Old May 21, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by KARFA
Rebooking Allowance on SAS (SK)
Rebook onto SAS (SK) services between Stockholm (ARN) or Copenhagen (CPH) and St. Petersburg (LED)
Leaves me wondering why BA doesn't rebook via DME with a final leg on S7. Appreciate Moscow flight is in a different league (CW and WT), but still is it more beneficial from the revenue standpoint to rebook outside of *O? Or do you think there's no rebooking agreement between BA and S7 (one would expect otherwise, provided BA actually sponsored S7 joining OneWorld)?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by luitje
Leaves me wondering why BA doesn't rebook via DME with a final leg on S7.
That may yet still to be announced. We don't know, along with any other hypothetical options (AY?) until they're announced.

Yes there's an interline/rebooking arrangement between BA/S7, but maybe it's only under certain conditions. We don't know that either.

The SK option was a surprise to me; there was a time not too long ago when BA/SK had stopped their interline agreement. I wasn't aware it was back in place.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: BA Silver
HI.
I am meant to be flying home from KBP-LHR on 23rd October. We have a visit to Chernobyl booked.
From reading the comments, am I correct in thinking that BA will have to put us on another flight if I keep refusing a refund?
I found a flight KBP-DOH then DOH-LHR with Qatar but BA don't seem too keen about putting us on this flight! Even though its a partner airline.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Old May 22, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by dazwilkinson
HI.
I am meant to be flying home from KBP-LHR on 23rd October. We have a visit to Chernobyl booked.
From reading the comments, am I correct in thinking that BA will have to put us on another flight if I keep refusing a refund?
I found a flight KBP-DOH then DOH-LHR with Qatar but BA don't seem too keen about putting us on this flight! Even though its a partner airline.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Yes they will rebook you on something else. The options are usually rebook or refund. The rebooking options for LED are already posted above but the rebooking options for KBP are not yet out - they should be out soon though. I would basically wait and see what they are once they are issued - I or someone else will post them in the thread once they are available.

Btw, nice try suggesting a reroute via DOH. I am not surprised they said no
Old May 22, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes they will rebook you on something else. The options are usually rebook or refund. The rebooking options for LED are already posted above but the rebooking options for KBP are not yet out - they should be out soon though. I would basically wait and see what they are once they are issued - I or someone else will post them in the thread once they are available.

Btw, nice try suggesting a reroute via DOH. I am not surprised they said no
Thanks. I have been panicking!
Old May 22, 2019, 9:47 am

Sadness

I have and my wife used ba8802 and 03 so we can see our family there ..the only option I can see is Lufthansa at the moment one stop though real shame. I hope zelensky gets things sorted a bit better the pressure between Russia and Ukraine dont help when it comes to this .my wife is Ukrainian
Old May 22, 2019, 10:29 am

Ironically the busiest LED - LHR flight I’ve been on his evening. 10 rows of CE and i’d say 80% full in Et. Having travelled out via Hel yesterday, it’s made me realise what a pain in the ... having to connect every time is going to be! Hopefully the nice lady who seems to manage the BA operation out there gets to keep her job in October.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
So all that call centre chat about there not being a oneworld option to LED was totally irrelevant anyway, if the official rebooking guidance is for SK, which was definitely *A last time I checked...
Old May 22, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Anthony Grishmann
I have and my wife used ba8802 and 03 so we can see our family there ..the only option I can see is Lufthansa at the moment one stop though real shame. I hope zelensky gets things sorted a bit better the pressure between Russia and Ukraine dont help when it comes to this .my wife is Ukrainian
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Anthony Grishmann, it is great to see you here, and I hope you will continue to participate. If Lufthansa add this to their list of legacy airlines' semi- monopoly routes, of which they already have a fair stack, then I fear it won't be good for fares staying reasonable.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:39 pm

The routing LON-CPH-LED strikes me as odd as, to my knowledge, SK doesn't operate any flights between CPH and LED. SK proposes CPH-ARN-LED if you search for CPH-LED in mid-November.

Note that ARN-LED only is operated six days a week. There is no flight on Saturdays.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...If Lufthansa add this to their list of legacy airlines' semi- monopoly routes, of which they already have a fair stack, then I fear it won't be good for fares staying reasonable.
That is very interesting.

I guess BA will use the slot for a more profitable route - good for them.

For Lufthansa, it does seem easy to squeeze BA out on routes like this. These long shorthauls are probably less profitable already for BA.

LH can easily out-compete. They have capacity at MUC and FRA to offer better timed flights and several rotations per day.

BA can’t really respond. They can’t increase flights or change timings due to LHR slots.

Will more routes go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.