Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Educational requirements for BA pilots

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
An alternative way into commercial aviation is to perhaps consider going via the Royal Air Force (RAF). BA have been known and keen to employ former and current serving pilots and provided them with necessary transition training. The link below outlines fully their requirements.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/h...iABEgKaI_D_BwE

Willie Walsh Story of his Cadet pilot interview

Old May 10, 2019, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My elder brother left school with 4 O'Levels and joined the Merchant Navy as an officer cadet. After many years of on the job training/experience as well as attending the Glasgow nautical college gaining stripes along the way he ended up being master on supertankers. Similar thing I suppose.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
Unfortunately the real entry requirement is to be able to put down £100k+ for training and not earn money for a couple of years...
Old May 10, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I applied to the RAF when I was 18 for pilot training. They turned me down because they felt that I needed to have a better understanding of world affairs. They recommended I regularly read some quality newspapers and reapply in 18 months. I was impatient and got on with my pilot training myself and missed the chance.

In hindsight it would have been a good way in and given me the chance to fly some exciting kit.

If life in the forces is something that appeals then either RAF or navy are great choices IMO especially if you are looking to get into helicopters.
T8191 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
If you meet the standard to pass the exam, that is what matters. Degrees don't teach softskills. Even some major players in certain industries, EY comes to mind, have scrapped the requirement for degrees now as they want a more diverse workforce with different skills. Most universities are like conveyer belts, they churn out the same stuff repeatedly. It's great that people with less education have a shot at becoming a pilot. I personally was turned down due to appalling eyesight. I understood why, though it was still a shame. However, had I been turned down because I didn't have a degree or something, I'd be perplexed. Now I have a Master's and am half way through my doctorate, but I doubt that would make me a great pilot.
T8191, Padmeister and nancypants like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Well yes of course it would do, ideally you want the carrier deck moving as fast as possible away from you, into as strong a headwind as possible.
Right - I was just making that point that it helps for those who didn't realize, because the statement I was referring to made it seem like everything in a carrier landing is against you.

rb211.
BOH likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by navylad
Joining requirements to go direct officer are a-level equivalent, a degree is not necessarily required and can actually be a disadvantage if you want to get to the top, although this is being addressed. many fine officers that have come from the ranks just have GCSEs. We also have aircrew that aren’t officers too and they do a fantastic job.

It really is a modern world where individuals should be competency assessed not based on academia.
Well said! You could have qualifications as long as your arm! It does not make you an incredible Pilot....
flygirl68, navylad and nancypants like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by garykung
Your head can hit the switch at the top panels...
i’m 6’4” and fit in a Cessna cockpit just fine. Plenty more room in those Boeings
Old May 10, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
you must be able to pronounce "schedule" in the proper British manner
Old May 10, 2019, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
i’m 6’4” and fit in a Cessna cockpit just fine. Plenty more room in those Boeings
At least I know one thing as a fact - you won't be able to be a BA pilot if you ever want to me.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: QF WP
At least I know one thing as a fact - you won't be able to be a BA pilot if you ever want to me.
to be fair it doesn’t say you can’t be a BA pilot, just that you’d need to undergo a functional assessment, presumably to assess whether they CAN squeeze you in the seat or not

• Your height must be between 1.57m (5'2") and 1.90m (6'3"). Height is accurately determined during the assessment process. Candidates who are taller than 1.90m may submit an application but may be required to undergo a functionality check.
navylad likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet

Not many switches in the overhead in a Cessna to bash your head into as you get in and out.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
I believe the ability to complete The Times crossword during a LHR-MAN puts you on the fast track course.
nancypants and snaxmuppet like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:28 am

Given many of the degrees available now, and some of the institutes awarding them, I would have no more faith in a pilot holding one than not. Vocational qualifications seem far more appropriate.
T8191, nancypants and snaxmuppet like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
ACTUALLY, it did say you could get a waiver, however the whole "permission to live and work in the UK thing" would trip me up.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.