FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Educational requirements for BA pilots (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1968991-educational-requirements-ba-pilots.html)

Greenpen May 9, 2019 2:44 pm

Educational requirements for BA pilots

I am watching a programme about Easyjet and they have just said that the educational requirements for a pilot is just five GCSEs. That seems very basic for someone who is responsible for understanding an aircraft and I wonder whether the same level is required of BA pilots?

mikeyfly May 9, 2019 2:47 pm

Criteria in careers section of website

https://careers.ba.com/future-pilots

• Be at least 17 years of age to apply and 18 years of age to start training.
  • GCSE Maths, English and Science excluding General studies and Critical Thinking, grade C and above plus 112 UCAS points according to the 2017 UCAS point systemor equivalent (academic and vocational qualifications accepted). For international academic comparisons, see: naric.org.uk
  • You must be fluent in English (and if applicable have achieved ICAO Level 6 on completion of training). For non-native English speakers, you will be required to present a certificate prior to training commencement demonstrating you have achieved International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Level 5.5 overall, with no less than 5.5 in any individual area (Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking). This must be the Academic test, not General Training.
  • Have the unrestricted right to live and work in the UK (Please note that a work/study visa does not satisfy this requirement).
  • Hold a valid passport which permits unrestricted worldwide travel.
  • Your height must be between 1.57m (5'2") and 1.90m (6'3"). Height is accurately determined during the assessment process. Candidates who are taller than 1.90m may submit an application but may be required to undergo a functionality check.
  • To be able to obtain and hold an EASA Class 1 medical with no restrictions and meet British Airways medical criteria.
  • Before commencing training you must have completed to the satisfactory standard, referencing and pre-employment checks and be compliant with the provision of satisfactory UK and international Criminal Record Checks.

garykung May 9, 2019 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen (Post 31084576)
That seems very basic for someone who is responsible for understanding an aircraft and I wonder whether the same level is required of BA pilots?

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 31084587)
Criteria in careers section of website

This is the minimum requirement.

In reality, many pilots in the world, not just BA, have more advance education than simply secondary education.

nancypants May 9, 2019 3:09 pm

Even when they don’t exceed those requirements (my partner is a qantas pilot and his highest completed qualification is year 12, kind of like 6th form I suppose), once all the study is done for ATPL it’s considered equivalent to a bachelor’s degree here

the theoretical study component of a pilot’s licence is phenomenal

GetSetJetSet May 9, 2019 4:15 pm

6’3” cutoff for airline pilots seems odd

garykung May 9, 2019 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31084820)
6’3” cutoff for airline pilots seems odd

Your head can hit the switch at the top panels...

MSPeconomist May 9, 2019 5:52 pm

I would have expected a bachelor's degree to be required. Most military pilots in the USA are officers and have either graduated from one of the military academies or have done ROTC at university.

trooper May 9, 2019 6:00 pm

I think you'll find the degree is related to being an officer...not a pilot. (Although most militaries also have Short Service/Supplementary List type commissions which do NOT involve or require degree studies -and which certainly include pilot trainees) If the degree is not aeronautical...(or perhaps engineering?) what use is it? A degree in English literature (for instance) would hardly seem to be a sign of aviation related skills? .....

Davidjonesk May 9, 2019 6:07 pm

Minimums are minimums.

I’d say few are accepted with the minimum.

nancypants May 9, 2019 7:13 pm

There’s also a growing movement of Mickey Mouse-esque “bachelor of aviation” in Australia, as the universities etc have cottoned onto the fact that they can charge$120k for something the flight schools/modular program have been providing for $60k plus a crappy wage for eons

also re many meeting minimums, there is a big push for diversity (specifically in Australia, to get the male:female ratio to 50:50 which is insanity). So we are all equal but some are more equal than others, when it comes to requirements

krispy84 May 9, 2019 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31085035)
I would have expected a bachelor's degree to be required. Most military pilots in the USA are officers and have either graduated from one of the military academies or have done ROTC at university.

In BA’s case, they have historically employed many ex-RAF pilots (plus I’m sure ex-FAA and maybe ex-AAC). A degree isn’t required for the majority of Commissioned Officer training in the UK Armed Forces, including flying training. UK and US initial officer training differ in some significant areas, therefore there isn’t the link between degrees and military aviation that you have in the US.

garykung May 9, 2019 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 31085262)
A degree isn’t required for the majority of Commissioned Officer training in the UK Armed Forces, including flying training. UK and US initial officer training differ in some significant areas, therefore there isn’t the link between degrees and military aviation that you have in the US.

While these are true, the reality, again, is not the same.

Not just RAF Officers, but generally speaking, many UK Armed Force officers do have advance education more than GCSE.

To say the least, it is not about if you would be competent with the duties as an officer, but advancement.

It is the same as airline pilots - do you really believe that an airline will promote a FO to Captain simply because of experience only?

navylad May 9, 2019 11:56 pm

Joining requirements to go direct officer are a-level equivalent, a degree is not necessarily required and can actually be a disadvantage if you want to get to the top, although this is being addressed. many fine officers that have come from the ranks just have GCSEs. We also have aircrew that aren’t officers too and they do a fantastic job.

It really is a modern world where individuals should be competency assessed not based on academia.

nancypants May 9, 2019 11:57 pm

Advancement is generally based on seniority which is a numbers game only (ie if you start working on the 9th of May 2019 and I start on 10th May, you will automatically be 1 ahead of me in the queue for upgrade). Of course there are slight variations to that but they are usually down to individual choice, for example where a base change would be involved, or a transfer from short haul-> long haul or vice versa (as some prefer the rosters one way or the other).

certainly here, and I struggle to believe BA would be remarkably different, an upgrade out of seniority for educational qualification reasons would be unthinkable. Even flight hours barely come into it, merit seems to be totally excluded

(also from experience NZ/VA/JQ are the same so it’s not just QF/Australia)

BOH May 10, 2019 12:31 am

For BA you must also be called either Nigel or Dominic