Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
This basically means all Gold/GGL should go to town on any partner avios booking they might use and just cancel those not needed later. Have to love the quality of information BA has given.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
So now the BA web site can't calculate required Avios for a December booking and just errors out, even though it can find availability. Yippie.

Originally Posted by Tilto007
All good things must come to an end.
Yeah, I've been redeeming 30k at a time for a $600 RT short-haul F ticket on AA. I thought it was bad that it had gotten devalued from 27k when they got rid of the sub-650 mile awards a while back.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:40 am
Suspended

I looked at my BA Avios balance of 3,250 and I smiled. I quietly spent a big chunk of Avios during last two years while I was unhappy about the changes Alex Cruz brought to BA.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
I'm pretty certain there's no good news to be expected, taken we're talking about BA/IAG and the information was so vague. They seem to be softening a bigger blow. -_-

Thankfully I only have planned some Avios paid upgrades for the foreseeable future (well, minus some AS redemption tickets), so in terms of those my redemption plans won't be affected. But as for any other award travel, I'm most likely going to be better off planning my future endeavours around other OW loyalty. Thankfully I can always transfer away my Avios to Iberia Plus. If my Avios are seriously devalued, then I have very little interest to maintain specifically OW status with BAEC. So this will most likely devalue the Gold and GGL memberships - if my gut feeling is right, because the overall reward for being a frequent traveller with BAEC get more vague, when any sensible redemptions become more scarce.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
So now the BA web site can't calculate required Avios for a December booking and just errors out, even though it can find availability. Yippie.

Yeah, I've been redeeming 30k at a time for a $600 RT short-haul F ticket on AA. I thought it was bad that it had gotten devalued from 27k when they got rid of the sub-650 mile awards a while back.
If you can live with non-changeable, non-refundable award tickets, try pricing your AA domestic itineraries with Iberia Plus Avios instead of BAEC Avios.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
It never ceases to amaze me that a once great company can sink to new levels of incompetence every time their Marketing team makes an announcement.

They seem determined to destroy what little brand loyalty they have remaining.

I feel increasingly sorry for the cabin crew, desperately trying to put a brave face on for their customers in the knowledge that the back room staff are destroying BA’s image.

Clearly this latest enhancement is going to be bad news, so rather than sending out a half baked email with no substance, why not give it to us straight? Better than a lot of speculation and second guessing what is to come.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
If you can live with non-changeable, non-refundable award tickets, try pricing your AA domestic itineraries with Iberia Plus Avios instead of BAEC Avios.
Sadly, I usually can't. I either use BA Avios or DL SkyPesos, since I'm Platinum on DL and can redeposit.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Great, another "enhancement".
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by guv1976
Issue is that currently I have been unable to price up ANY partner redemptions using IB plus for a few days now! I did post in the IB forum but it doesn’t seem to be used as much as the BA one. It keeps giving error code 9100 and says “we have not found outbound flight confirming to criteria”. Has anyone else been able to look up AA award flights through IB plus?

BA.com has been VERY strange recently on trying to get AA award flights to show up! It is practically impossible if you need a connecting flight!

As a US-based BAEC, who redeems on AA frequently (even after the very mean removal of zone 1 pricing which they afford to the rest of the world), it does look as if the end is neigh on BAEC and its purpose for me. If the worst comes of this that is!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Fly2Where
[...]
Dubai (DBX) to Amman (AMM) on Royal Jordanian £180.20 plus Avios

See ba.com for full Terms and Conditions of redeeming Avios.
Great to see that people at Waterside know their business...
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:33 pm

I’m a little surprised they flagged these changes a month in advance. I know you can only book so far out but they’re basically telling people it’ll cost more so book now
Old Apr 29, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I’m a little surprised they flagged these changes a month in advance. I know you can only book so far out but they’re basically telling people it’ll cost more so book now
Worse, it almost feels like some directors in the company called a trainee on 26th April and said: We are going to change partner redemption rate on 30th May. Here is some information and go to write emails over the weekend to every BA EC members and send before 30th April so we made our efforts to inform the suckers one months in advance.

The trainee asked: there is not much detail about changes, sir.

The director said: we will decide on 29th May. Just send the emails first. Ask questions later.
84fiero and kingstontoon like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:01 pm
formerly smoaky

lmao what a terrible company.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Come on folks. Many of you were glued to the forum in 2011 when BA announced the last major change to airline partner redemptions, so you know the drill. Pricing details will be released once all the contracts with the individual partners are agreed and signed.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I have a feeling this is not going to be good. Fortunately the only Avios I have these days are from my UK credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.