Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to redemption prices on partner airlines eff 30 May 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
One of the family account received the e-mail few minutes ago. I'm crossing fingers it will not be too bad...
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:47 am

The thing is that BA can often be a relatively bad deal on connecting itineraries, given that they price per segment. Sub-650 mile flights in North America also already cost more than 60% more than comparable flights in Europe, and partner business awards also often price higher.

So sadly I agree its likely to be bad, and while there's some value in the program for short non-stops, BA risk being really uncompetitive, particularly for members outside the UK. Part of me hopes that any increase in rates also addresses the lack of competitive award prices for connecting itineraries.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Sending out an email that does not provide the details of the new system is very unfair and obviously not transparent!
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Really poor communication, wave the red flag but don't provide the important details .
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I spent a few minutes following the links and links within links but couldn't work out what was actually happening so gave up. If this mailing was supposed to inform it failed miserably.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by cysyuen
I hope SYD-MEL for 4,500 Avios in Y and HKG-TYO in CX J will stay......
Originally Posted by mrkymark
Came to FT thinking that someone knew about this already but instead it looks like a surprise to everyone eh? Sad for Alaska redemptions I'm sure. I can feel the west coast hawaii 12.5k miles drifting away. I'm sure that was a sore spot.
Let me take that back.

They can always just use the multi-carrier Reward Flights as the new chart for oneworld partners.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have literally just received the mail as well and when following the link it provides absolutely no information. As an example "Chicago (ORD) to La Guardia (LGA) on American Airlines Ł8.60 plus Avios"

Well thanks BA - I know that already. I'd really like to know whether it's 7500 Avios or 75,000 Avios or something in between. This sort of communication from BA is absolutely hopeless! It beggars belief that someone actually signed off on it.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Sending out an email that does not provide the details of the new system is very unfair and obviously not transparent!
Had the same feeling...that’s why I came straight to FT but there was no other info!

This is pretty unfortunate for AA as they were probably one of the more useful partners for BA in the Americas.
TheRealBabushka likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:06 am

I am not clear on this communication either. Is it the taxes that are charged on the Partner Airline ticket - be the actual taxes fee changing? I normally use my British Airways Avios for Domestic Flights on American Airlines - usually only costs me 7500 Avios for a one way - as opposed to booking on AA Directly which costs 12.5K AA miles - for a one way ticket to from NYC to Chicago. I hope its only a few more bucks in taxes! I do like paying less points...
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Junior Jet Club, Nando's Card 1 Red Chilli, Tesco Clubcard, BAEC Gold, TK M&S Elite
I think it's intentionally vague. I'm not sure if they are hoping everyone will rinse their Avios balance in fear... then announce small changes. Or maybe they are actually terrifying changes and this is the way to try to soften the blow.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Geordie405
I have literally just received the mail as well and when following the link it provides absolutely no information. As an example "Chicago (ORD) to La Guardia (LGA) on American Airlines Ł8.60 plus Avios"

Well thanks BA - I know that already. I'd really like to know whether it's 7500 Avios or 75,000 Avios or something in between. This sort of communication from BA is absolutely hopeless! It beggars belief that someone actually signed off on it.
looks like the end to the great AA rates for local flights
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK
It's literally every single partner.....lol

Seeing as all redemptions at the moment are using the same distance chart this appears to be a move to redemptions based on partner so CX want 80k for this and QF want 40k for that.

Bad news.
This merely confirms my view that Avios is no longer the game in town. The value for BAEC remains in accruing TP, for status and the perks that come with status. Avios will just be a bonus that is increasingly less valuable.
makin'miles, Blueboys999 and peck like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I hope BA doesn't repeat the disastrous changes CX implemented last year which led to an exodus of members. Literally the definition of customer disloyalty.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
The real question at this stage is going to be whether they publicise the changes before 30th May or not...
englisha and DeathSlam like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
This merely confirms my view that Avios is no longer the game in town. The value for BAEC remains in accruing TP, for status and the perks that come with status. Avios will just be a bonus that is increasingly less valuable.
Absolutely agree with this. To be honest I'm now increasingly questioning the value of status too; it certainly comes in useful from time to time, but it's undoubtedly diminishing as the years go by.
Will be interested to see the new rates, but I very much doubt there'll be any good news in there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.