Wiki Posts
Search

AA Upgrade on BA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
AA Upgrade on BA

I imagine this has been asked and answered 100 times on here, but I did a forum search and gave up looking through the results...

I am booking a flight on BA.com, which is LHR -> ORD -> BTV (AA for the first leg then Skywest Airlines as American Eagle)

I will be booking WTP.

Question is, do BA give 'upgrade offers' on these kind of flights, same as they do on normal BA flights? (Can I upgrade the flights cash and/or avois)?

Also there is 'best route' to get to BTV from UK? Some options have longer waits that other, but don't want too short a wait, as don't want to miss the connection and don't really know much about the transit experience at any of the transit airports

Cheers
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
You will not get POUG offers on this. You might be eligible for an AUP on your long haul flights.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:46 am

Bear in mind that unlike BA, if you purchase an AUP from AA, you won't get any additional TPs.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Bear in mind that unlike BA, if you purchase an AUP from AA, you won't get any additional TPs.
Thanks, I need to work out if TP will be a thing I need to worry about. (I am just about to get gold, (my TP collection end date is 8th Sept) with flights booked by TP end date, I'll have 2275 TP for the year, so will miss out on the 2500 bonus thing by 225) (Actually, not sure if my calculation is correct, on the flight from LHR -> BTV I was assuming 90 TP each way, but as there are 2 flights, do I get some extra for the additional leg?

(I might have a couple of extra trips too, so the extra question is, is the 2500 bonus thing worth it?)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by stuvoi
Also there is 'best route' to get to BTV from UK? Some options have longer waits that other, but don't want too short a wait, as don't want to miss the connection and don't really know much about the transit experience at any of the transit airports
ORD is not the easiest transit since you have to change terminals. However, as a gold you will have access to the AA Flagship Lounge in T3 which is fine. I would allow for time to use the lounge and if there is a delay you have a buffer, (but then I dislike tight connections - YMMV)

See this thread:
AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SoggyDollar
ORD is not the easiest transit since you have to change terminals. However, as a gold you will have access to the AA Flagship Lounge in T3 which is fine. I would allow for time to use the lounge and if there is a delay you have a buffer, (but then I dislike tight connections - YMMV)

See this thread:
AA Guide: ORD / Chicago O'Hare International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Thanks, I've not been through ORD before.

there are three options, one is 2 hours connection, second is 6 hours (third is even longer)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by stuvoi
Thanks, I've not been through ORD before.

there are three options, one is 2 hours connection, second is 6 hours (third is even longer)
With global entry and no checked bags, I would do the 2 hours.
Is there any thing better through PHL?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

I do have checked bags

There is a connection through PHL, 3:45 wait there.

Don't know much about PHL airport as a place to wait
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Flying from London to Chicago to go to Vermont seems out of the way. Is there anything through BOS?

Also, does AA offer a separate premium economy (WTP) cabin on this TATL flight or are you paying extra for just seats with a little more legroom?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:10 pm

AA Guide: PHL / Philadelphia International Airport - MCT, Connection, MCT, etc.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Flying from London to Chicago to go to Vermont seems out of the way. Is there anything through BOS?

Also, does AA offer a separate premium economy (WTP) cabin on this TATL flight or are you paying extra for just seats with a little more legroom?
I think ORD-LHR is a 788 operation - I believe they've been refitting that fleet with PE recently [and they were plenty aggressive on the other fleets] but it might depend how far out the flight is regarding the odds of a last minute swap to a PE-less bird.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

At the moment just been looking on ba site, so its what is showing, I didn't see BOS as an option, but I guess would work if I can find one

I have even been advised that I can fly to montreal and get coach down
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by etiene
I think ORD-LHR is a 788 operation - I believe they've been refitting that fleet with PE recently [and they were plenty aggressive on the other fleets] but it might depend how far out the flight is regarding the odds of a last minute swap to a PE-less bird.
The last PE-less AA 788 went in for refit yesterday. When it returns to service, all 788 aircraft will have a PE cabin. The downside is that the J cabin went from 28 seats down to 20 seats. That makes the chances of a domestic upgrade and SWU/miles and co-pay international upgraded flights a little more scarce.
etiene likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.