A Naive Question ?

Old Apr 18, 19, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Question A Naive Question ?

Hi

Hopefully no such thing as a stupid question

I am looking to use a 2-4-1 next March / April to from London to Johannesburg. There are loads of Club World seats across both months on the outbound journey, but absolutely nothing ( that I can see ) on the outbound in almost any class apart from one or two in economy . What would be the reason for this disparity ?

Thanks
Old Apr 18, 19, 1:59 pm

This thread might be a better help for you.

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion
Old Apr 18, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by direid View Post
Hi

Hopefully no such thing as a stupid question

I am looking to use a 2-4-1 next March / April to from London to Johannesburg. There are loads of Club World seats across both months on the outbound journey, but absolutely nothing ( that I can see ) on the outbound in almost any class apart from one or two in economy . What would be the reason for this disparity ?

Thanks
You might also consider flying back from Joburg and use a avios redemption from Cape town to Joburg for 4500 avios if that helps availability
Old Apr 18, 19, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks rockflyertak - I was aware of that thread, but it's 94 pages long ! I thought there might be a simple explanation for the disparity.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Apr 18, 19, 2:44 pm

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
IMHO it is all down to the black arts of Revenue Management! I would consider booking the CW and if F seats become available swap to them. F seats can and do become available at any time so if you pay for updates from BA Redemption Finder it makes it easier to get them.

Last edited by johnaalex; Apr 19, 19 at 1:39 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 18, 19, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Availability is down to BA’s revenue management systems. Trying to fathom it is a sure route to madness.
Old Apr 18, 19, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cgtechuk View Post
You might also consider flying back from Joburg and use a avios redemption from Cape town to Joburg for 4500 avios if that helps availability
And don't forget Durban and at the relevant times of the year, Gatwick.

The disparity isn't unusual on longhaul. For HKG it is quite extreme, though there is a local factor there in that ex HKG airlines can't require a surcharge on redemption tickets.

One could book one way In WT now and pay change fees if a better cabin comes up ; alternatively use the other RSA airports and keep checking.
Old Apr 19, 19, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
One could book one way In WT now and pay change fees if a better cabin comes up ; alternatively use the other RSA airports and keep checking.
This was my approach for a recent trip to Tokyo using a 241. I could find F on the outbound but only W on the inbound. I booked those flights and a few weeks later, availability in J appeared so I changed the booking to F outbound and J inbound. Patience then paid off and not long after that, F availability on both sectors so I changed the booking again.

Keep checking and it can be handy to use a subscription like ExpertFlyer - I was alerted to new availability late in the evening both times, around 11.30pm.
Dambus and fluffymitten like this.