Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is LCY security like in the mornings?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by goonerben
It's next Thursday - which is in the school holidays, BUT is the day before Good Friday. Flight prices suggest things will be busier than normal - hence the question really.

All this said, looks like I can get a train arriving London Bridge at 06:07 - I think the extra 8mins makes for a decent contingency and tips this into "doable 85%+ of the time" territory, so I think I'm going to go for it.
I would have already put your 6:15 in the 95%+ bracket. With the 6:07 you'll have time for a couple of pints to get you into holiday mode.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
"The Sticks" from LBG could be Slade Green (or even Deptford), but it could also be Brighton, Bedford or Cambridge.
sorry, you're right of course, but i meant from LBG to LCY on uber :P
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kaka
sorry, you're right of course, but i meant from LBG to LCY on uber :P
If you are on time into London Bridge then on tube + DLR, or indeed Uber, one would have an excellent chance of making the flight. If 10 minutes late then it gets dicey any way you do it. A Uber is going to take 25 to 30 minutes drive time to LCY, plus you have the usual where-is-the-Uber anxiety at pick-up. Due to the fairly fast Jubilee ride from London Bridge to Canning Town, Uber on this trip doesn't have much of an advantage, and brings new risk factors.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by goonerben
It's next Thursday - which is in the school holidays, BUT is the day before Good Friday. Flight prices suggest things will be busier than normal - hence the question really.
Yes, Thursday is going to be a bit busier than normal, it's more to do with the fact that there will be more leisure travellers. But it cuts both ways since they are more likely to check in a bag, so hopefully most of the liquids/iPads/etc are out of that security channel. but still some seem unaware of restrictions introduced 12 years ago. If you are there by 06:50 then you should be OK, any later then ask the front person from LCY security to assist you through. My very worse security time in LCY - which was off the scale and never repeated - was soon after the then new hall was opened and it took me 15 minutes. Flights were held back a bit to help travellers. More recently it's essentially 5 minutes or less to get through.

Obviously do what you can to minimise a secondary, so keep liquids, electronics, wires out of the main bag. They use a similar system to T5 and LGW, so multi-user bays with very large trays.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Exactly... Uber from Brighton costs £120+ to LCY
Other car services charge less than that.

OP on arrival at LBG I would go train LBG-Woolwich Arsenal and then DLR to LCY. I've done this route a few times (incidently from Brighton) and found it a lot smoother than the Tube option. Just watch out that at LBG trains to Woolwhich go from several platforms so use the National Rail Enquiries website / app to check on your approach to LBG.

Also where is your starting point on the day. As cws said the 'sticks' could be almost anywhere and there could be options you havn't thought about.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Other car services charge less than that […]
I've been trying Kabbee again recently, with no problems. Next trip SW3->LHR T5 will be £27 rather than the ca. £40 Uber.

Got SW3->Gatters for £32 last week. Uber (non-surge) was quoting over 2x and mytaxi almost 3x.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
OP on arrival at LBG I would go train LBG-Woolwich Arsenal and then DLR to LCY. I've done this route a few times (incidently from Brighton) and found it a lot smoother than the Tube option. Just watch out that at LBG trains to Woolwhich go from several platforms so use the National Rail Enquiries website / app to check on your approach to LBG.
OP’s first train to Woolwich Arsenal would be at 06:18 getting in to WA at 06:40. You have the advantage of going against the commute direction so it won’t be delayed by hordes of passengers getting on.

At WA It’s 1 minute walk to the DLR platform and the journey to LCY (second stop) takes about 5 minutes. But you can wait up to 8 minutes at that time of the day if you just miss the DLR train so it’s risky...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If London Bridge has any kind of service fart you're stuffed, so if I was trying this on I'd have a backup plan on speed-dial in case there's an early morning train outage.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:15 am

My concern would be the first train to London Bridge. You haven't said where you're staying, but none of the train companies operating into London Bridge have a great record for time keeping.
The Jubilee Line and DLR are usually reliable, though nothing is 100% guaranteed.
If you come by road, construction work near the airport entrance junction has been causing delays - the airport put a tweet out yesterday warning about this. I don't know if these works will continue into next week.
A cheap hotel with access to the DLR would be my risk reducing strategy.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A Uber is going to take 25 to 30 minutes drive time to LCY, plus you have the usual where-is-the-Uber anxiety at pick-up. Due to the fairly fast Jubilee ride from London Bridge to Canning Town, Uber on this trip doesn't have much of an advantage, and brings new risk factors.
That!

The fastest way from London Bridge to LCY will be TfL. The only time I would pick a car is if there is disruption with the trains - and then I would probably pick a black cab (no waiting for uber to arrive + use of bus lanes).

But realistically, OP should not worry. 6:15 is plenty to have contingency for the small things that can go wrong. And if a big disruption were to occur, an hour more would likely not make much difference.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Other car services charge less than that.
Any you would recommend? I've just moved from London to Brighton so tips on transit welcome!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by CoweyB
At WA It’s 1 minute walk to the DLR platform and the journey to LCY (second stop) takes about 5 minutes. But you can wait up to 8 minutes at that time of the day if you just miss the DLR train so it’s risky...
While I wouldn't recommend going via Woolwich for lots of reasons, the maximum wait for a DLR to LCY at that time would be 4 minutes.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
Any you would recommend? I've just moved from London to Brighton so tips on transit welcome!
I use Hove Airport Cars . Always found them reliable and they didn't have a paddy when I accidentally gave them the wrong address once!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
I use Hove Airport Cars . Always found them reliable and they didn't have a paddy when I accidentally gave them the wrong address once!
Brilliant - thanks! That also sounds like the kind of random thing I'd do too
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
The school holidays are causing bigger than usual queues at LCY, with people queued down the stairs to an additional set of Tensabarriers (escalator switched off) on some mornings. However this queue has been moving rapidly and I’d imagine things will settle down again over the next few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.