What is LCY security like in the mornings?

Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
What is LCY security like in the mornings?

I have a 7:15am flight from LCY next week - no bags to check in.

First train up from the sticks, arrives at London Bridge at 6:15am. I'm thinking this should give me enough time to get through the Jubilee line and DLR, into LCY, through security etc. But as somebody who generally allows plenty of time (and never misses a flight, but spends too much time in airports as a result), I'm not sure if I'd be scuppered by the morning security queues.

So, do we think I have enough time?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Personally, I think thats a little tight and assumes no delays anywhere. Its a good brisk five minute walk from the train door to the tube platform, then 30 mins (assuming connection at Canning Town is slick). Youd be reaching security when your flight is boarding.

security is usually quite quick (under 10 minutes), but again this is assuming nothing unusual going on.

Good luck!!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
do you have bags? i think its kinda tight. even with my last minute fighter attitude

Last edited by kaka; Apr 11, 2019 at 3:33 am
Old Apr 11, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
It's plausible assuming everything is on time and every transfer is efficient. Any slight problem and you are toast
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:14 am
Original Poster

OK, thanks all - looks like a cab may be the way to do instead....
kaka and Lucanesque like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would be just about OK about this since you are HBO. Assuming an on-time train arrival, and allowing a generous 10 minutes to get down to the depths of the Jubilee line (and it will be fairly quiet at that hour) you should be in Canning Town for 06:35 and thus LCY for 06:50, and hopefully before. Gates close at 10 minutes to departure, some gates do have a physical door that they shut too. So that is all plausible, but there is about 5 to 10 minutes slack in this. You can ask the front person in security to use the near side security channel - used by crew - if it's looking tight (so after 06:55 hrs).

But you say this isn't your usual operating mode, and so I wonder if you really want to start your day like this (whereas it's pretty normal for me). So why not look to book a hotel - perhaps using points or even Avios? Some of the hotels in the frame here aren't expensive either, cheaper than a cab I imagine. So there are hotels like the two Travelodges (one very close to the airport), Hampton, DoubleTree, Holiday Inn Express, Premier Inn (that's a noisy one though), Aloft - all within walking distance of the airport. Several hotels by Canning Town station would take almost the same time to get to the airport, and slightly further off there are now many options in Canary Wharf and Stratford, which would give you a more interesting evening the night before departure.

It is best to at least put the day of the week in questions like this, since Monday and Thursday are different from Tuesday and Wednesday.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yes I would definitely be cabbing that...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
This used to be my weekly commute for many years. It is perfectly doable - no stress whatsoever. Depending on how fast you'll walk and the spacing between Jubilee and DLR trains you'll probably have 10-15 mins contingency.
kaka likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would be just about OK about this since you are HBO. Assuming an on-time train arrival, and allowing a generous 10 minutes to get down to the depths of the Jubilee line (and it will be fairly quiet at that hour) you should be in Canning Town for 06:35 and thus LCY for 06:50, and hopefully before. Gates close at 10 minutes to departure, some gates do have a physical door that they shut too. So that is all plausible, but there is about 5 to 10 minutes slack in this. You can ask the front person in security to use the near side security channel - used by crew - if it's looking tight (so after 06:55 hrs).

But you say this isn't your usual operating mode, and so I wonder if you really want to start your day like this (whereas it's pretty normal for me). So why not look to book a hotel - perhaps using points or even Avios? Some of the hotels in the frame here aren't expensive either, cheaper than a cab I imagine. So there are hotels like the two Travelodges (one very close to the airport), Hampton, DoubleTree, Holiday Inn Express, Premier Inn (that's a noisy one though), Aloft - all within walking distance of the airport. Several hotels by Canning Town station would take almost the same time to get to the airport, and slightly further off there are now many options in Canary Wharf and Stratford, which would give you a more interesting evening the night before departure.

It is best to at least put the day of the week in questions like this, since Monday and Thursday are different from Tuesday and Wednesday.
uber cant cost more than GBP20...????
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kaka
uber cant cost more than GBP20...????
"The Sticks" from LBG could be Slade Green (or even Deptford), but it could also be Brighton, Bedford or Cambridge.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
all depends on how vital it is to catch the flight I guess.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
"The Sticks" from LBG could be Slade Green (or even Deptford), but it could also be Brighton, Bedford or Cambridge.
Exactly... Uber from Brighton costs 120+ to LCY
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
What day of the week are you travelling? As c-w-s notes, it makes quite a difference at LCY.

That said I'd probably risk your journey. You've got a small margin of contingency to wait for the Jubilee Line and DLR, but none for anything exceptional. I'd cross my fingers and have a backup plan.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC 1991
If you need a Plan B then there are Southeastern trains from London Bridge to Woolwich Arsenal (journey time 22 mins) where you can pick up the DLR which is (IIRC) about 5 mins to LCY.

I'm pretty sure it will be school holidays next week and the last time I went through LCY during the week I was surprised by the number of leisure travelers (of which I was one).
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Truthmonkey
What day of the week are you travelling? As c-w-s notes, it makes quite a difference at LCY.

That said I'd probably risk your journey. You've got a small margin of contingency to wait for the Jubilee Line and DLR, but none for anything exceptional. I'd cross my fingers and have a backup plan.
It's next Thursday - which is in the school holidays, BUT is the day before Good Friday. Flight prices suggest things will be busier than normal - hence the question really.

All this said, looks like I can get a train arriving London Bridge at 06:07 - I think the extra 8mins makes for a decent contingency and tips this into "doable 85%+ of the time" territory, so I think I'm going to go for it.
Blueblood likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.