Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is the race back on with Virgin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Strange how all those who despised foot ⚰️ have fallen silent in this conversation of CWS vs NUC!
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
It's not a knee jerk reaction - that seat was planned for over 3 years. I can only imagine the expressions in Crawley when Club Suite was launched.

Bottom line, potentially:
* VS underestimated what BA would do and played it too safe
* BA pulled it out of the bag in a way which was genuinely shocking to all of us in the industry
* Both of them remain 2nd best compared to Qsuite and especially the new ANA seat
I am not a fan of the Q suite but am testing the new ANA F next month with great excitement
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

It's not a knee jerk reaction - that seat was planned for over 3 years. I can only imagine the expressions in Crawley when Club Suite was launched.

* BA pulled it out of the bag in a way which was genuinely shocking to all of us in the industry
* Both of them remain 2nd best compared to Qsuite and especially the new ANA seat
You certainly are enamoured by the new ANA seat. It appears to be a very nice seat, and very well equipped with the latest IFE. Its not a universal best in class, as while it has very clear strengths, it is also has its share of compromises. Most notable of which is the short bed length (not too dissimilar to SQs business class seat). I suppose if I was very wide in the midriff and posterior regions and had short legs, the ANA suite would check all the boxes. Unfortunately, I am not shaped that way.

Originally Posted by choosethedrew
Strange how all those who despised foot ⚰️ have fallen silent in this conversation of CWS vs NUC!
There are strengths and weaknesses of both. The CWS excels in dining mode and offers a longer bed. The seat it replaces allows more flexibility in bed mode. Both are very comfortable.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by Prospero
There are strengths and weaknesses of both. The CWS excels in dining mode and offers a longer bed. The seat it replaces allows more flexibility in bed mode. Both are very comfortable.
Sorry, NUC = New Upper Class (which has less of a foot coffin than CWS)
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold

Normally I agree with you Raffles, but the reviews of the UCS make me think the product was never tested outside a VR/AR environment. The table and construction issues are fundamental to the basic functioning of any seat, let alone business class. The gold trim around the USB and poor sockets looks particularly cheap and unlikely to wear well. I am not sure VS paid very much attention to what BA were up to, or anyone else for that matter. Bluetooth headphones in The Loft and BYO remotes are solutions to problems that no-one has in reality. VS must have known they needed to deliver an all-aisle access business class seat and they should be embarrassed by the basic, fundamental flaws in the product. That they are redesigning them before the press launch tells you all you need to know about the development process - or lack thereof. Quite why they didn't reupholster the Delta One Suite, I don't know.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

RunwayGirlNeworks John Walton asked probing questions concerning QA issues of the new UC seat. Bear in mind, seat procurement involve long lead times, so VSs order probably predated Deltas investment in the airline.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2019/0...-beyond-flaws/
It feels rare these days that a business class seat enters smoothly into service, and Virgin Atlantics new A350 Upper Class seat was no different. For a passenger experience journalist familiar with the companies and history concerned, it is hard to analyze this seat without acknowledging its manufacturer context.

RGN readers will be familiar with the problems these pages have chronicled with Safran Seats build quality and robustness, which date at least as far back as its Zodiac Aerospace days, and particularly with the Airbus A350 implementation for Cathay Pacific

Regrettably for Virgin Atlantic which made its choice of Cirrus NG for its Airbus A350 before the Zodiac problems became quite so clearly evident these quality problems are evident here too, and were noticed even by media not quite so steeped in the weeds of the passenger experience supply chain as RGN. But on to those shortly.
RGNs follow up piece explains further.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2019/0...e-in-business/
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: BAEC
Whilst this seat (VS UC) may have been 3 years in the making, it doesnt necessarily mean its been 3 years of serious R&D. Given that there are historical issues with Safran build quality, why choose them in the first place?

Could it be that they somehow got wind of what BA might be doing and (VS) changed their strategy also to ensure they werent losing out to BA, hence my knee jerk reaction comment. It might be 3 years in the making but it doesnt necessarily mean 3 decent years of hard, thoughtful work. It could have been 2 years of lets try this or that and then oh wait we really need to get something to market, how much money is left? Lets just push that out!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I feel we have the answer to the table problem here :-)

"In context, the CDC in the US gives statistics hat the average waist size is 39-40” for women and men, respectively"

That's about 6 inches bigger than the average waist size of VS employees in Crawley!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
I feel we have the answer to the table problem here :-)

"In context, the CDC in the US gives statistics hat the average waist size is 39-40 for women and men, respectively"

That's about 6 inches bigger than the average waist size of VS employees in Crawley!
I'd bet it's more than 6 inches bigger lol. It's 5" bigger than me and I'm not in great shape for my height currently...
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:52 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
It looks ok for thin people though
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
“The early customer feedback we had some months ago, we weren’t giving the flexibility in the tray table that customers needed. We’re going to move that. We’ve already designed a new table that’s coming into service in October. We’re already ahead of the curve.”

Talk about living in an alternative reality "ahead of the curve" honestly.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by choosethedrew
I haven't, both seats look as bad as each other.
teledude likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.