Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Speedbird 100 IPA & Air Craft - Brewdog specials for 100 year celebrations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedbird 100 IPA & Air Craft - Brewdog specials for 100 year celebrations

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Available in the CE bar on the LHR-BHD-LHR flights i had today. CSM on the first leg said i had to buy it from BoB but was corrected by the other cabin crew who found a can in the galley. On the way back the crew knew exactly what it was and were very generous with the service and excellent in general.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
From a friend on HEL this morning :
Claims to be bitter sweet and it IS bitter but in a grapefruit sense rather than a hoppy bitter. Basically tasted like grapefruit juice mixed with Punk IPA.

Just FYI : Despite being in CE had to purchase from BoB menu as not loaded into CE !! Would have again if served in CE but wouldn't pay £4.45 for BoB.
Ha, that would be from me, on the FB Goldies group. Ordering a BoB Brewdog at 10am on launch day - the things I do for that group! Do I know you IRL, btw?!

Update from my return: I stand by my tasting notes; I like fruity IPAs, but this is probably a bit too citrusy even for me; still, it's a massive improvement on Heineken, so I'd be happy to drink it again

Oh, and it is now on the CE trolley in limited quantities, but not on the CE menu; it isn't offered proactively, and the friendly crew member said that people had been asking and been disappointed; in my case, I had one can (1A), a very thirsty chap in 1F had three cans (!) and then it was gone, although nobody else in the cabin was drinking beer, luckily
Old May 9, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
Flew LHR-PVG on BA161 on Thursday (only 34 in economy so we all had a row of three each to sleep in) and asked for a Speedbird 100. The Y crew had never heard of it and didn't have any, but did check up front and I was told it's not available on long haul, only BOB in ET. None in the lounge at the LHR B gates either (was told there it's only available on board).
I was on yesterday's BA160 in F and both beers were on the menu. I asked for the Speedbird 100 but got the Air Craft instead. It was a bit too fruity for me so I didn't finish it.
kingstontoon likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:25 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
1) Taste is indeed subjective, but I guess when you have a mass market, you try to aim to please the majority..
2) Currently not intended to be available in Lounges
3) I haven't seen Voodoo Ranger for awhile for the reasons mentioned below:
I thought from the initial press release quoted in post 2 (and still showing up on ba.com) that it was supposed to be available in 'selected lounges'. Anyone know if that's still the case/which lounges?
Old May 9, 2019, 8:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I thought from the initial press release quoted in post 2 (and still showing up on ba.com) that it was supposed to be available in 'selected lounges'. Anyone know if that's still the case/which lounges?
I think I've done 6 BA operated lounges this week so far, it's not been in any of them (EDI, NCL, LHR T3, T5 Flounges and CCR).
Old May 9, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think I've done 6 BA operated lounges this week so far, it's not been in any of them (EDI, NCL, LHR T3, T5 Flounges and CCR).
Fair enough, I think I may have omitted "all" as I was typing my previous note, And based on C-W-S' experience, the word "select" seems to be applied correctly. Perhaps available in BUD?

My suspicion is that as BD is a new "vendor" for BA, they might still be having some kind of teething issues getting distribution rolled out smoothly. Let's see how it looks in a month.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:13 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Fair enough, I think I may have omitted "all" as I was typing my previous note, And based on C-W-S' experience, the word "select" seems to be applied correctly. Perhaps available in BUD?

My suspicion is that as BD is a new "vendor" for BA, they might still be having some kind of teething issues getting distribution rolled out smoothly. Let's see how it looks in a month.
Not having a pop at you at all, actually I thought possibly it's not going to be in the lounges - not in LGW or AMS this week either. My understanding was that it's a limited edition thing, only available until August (?) - would hope that they wouldn't take a quarter of the window to get distribution sorted.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Not having a pop at you at all, actually I thought possibly it's not going to be in the lounges - not in LGW or AMS this week either. My understanding was that it's a limited edition thing, only available until August (?) - would hope that they wouldn't take a quarter of the window to get distribution sorted.
No worries. It was a correct call out.

I haven't read that the beers were limited to a set time frame, but wouldn't be too surprised if that was the case.

And I guess my lame reference to "BUD" will not be appreciated by too many on this board. In the US it is the short hand for Budweiser, you know, the greatest beer on earth.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
And I guess my lame reference to "BUD" will not be appreciated by too many on this board. In the US it is the short hand for Budweiser, you know, the greatest beer on earth.
Probably more likely to be at Ipota airport in Vanuatu...
Old May 10, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Tracked down the Air Craft today, the description from the bottle below is accurate. But a few other reflections:
  • It comes in a 500ml bottle, I think I would have preferred a 330ml one given I wanted to try one of the wines as well.
  • This beer won’t be too everyone’s taste; it is pretty sour and very fruity. However nice to have something more adventurous on the menu.
  • Neither this nor the Speedbird 100 is available at the CCR bar currently.

Old May 10, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Update

Originally Posted by R.O.U.S
Availability does seem to be a bit patchy. I flew EDI-LHR-IBZ yesterday in CE with the following results.

As others have said not in EDI lounge or T5 GF.

I asked for for it on the EDI-LHR leg and the crew member said he hadn’t heard of it but when he pulled out the bottom draw of his trolley there it was (much to his surprise). I then gave him and the purser a summary of the details!

However, on the LHR-IBZ it wasn’t stocked in CE and the CSM said it was only available to purchase in ET.

Anyhow, back to the beer. I’m not a fan of Punk IPA but I did enjoy the Speedbird had a nice zesty aftertaste.

For completeness - just returned from IBZ in CE and whilst on the way out last Friday the crew hadn’t heard of it and didn’t have any, today it was in the CE trolley. So this supports the theory of the rollout just taking a few days longer than expected. The CE menu card did refer to Tribute as others have mentioned.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
We had it on flights to Newark (on the Air Belgium plane) and back from JFK (Y in both directions). When we asked what beer they had, both sets of cabin crew just knew Speedbird as 'an IPA' so perhaps asking for it that way may work better than by name!
Old May 10, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Had one for free in Y on cityflyer into LCY. Its the second time and its too gassy for me..

Looking forward to Air Craft out of JFK next week in F.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Had one for free in Y on cityflyer into LCY. Its the second time and its too gassy for me..

Looking forward to Air Craft out of JFK next week in F.
The Speedbird is indeed pretty fizzy, it takes a careful pour.

For the AirCraft, if you mention to your crew that it’s a brown bottle with an OW cap that should help them find it.
Old May 10, 2019, 2:26 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Asked for some in CE on LGW-NAP, was told "it's only for those down the back" (not that there was a curtain).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.