Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Speedbird 100 IPA & Air Craft - Brewdog specials for 100 year celebrations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speedbird 100 IPA & Air Craft - Brewdog specials for 100 year celebrations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by hmv
How is the availability of the Speedbird 100 and Air Craft beers on board and at the lounge currently? Flying a AMS-LGW/LHR-AUH-LHR/LGW-AMS roundtrip this month and would love to try them out both.
Both Air Craft and Speedbird 100 are available in the CCR, we don't see many reports on here of either not being available on board, although there was short stock on a recent flight to HKG. Air Craft is only available in First (and CCR), and if I were you I'd get your order in early - they only have 2 large bottles on board.

I've not seen Speedbird 100 at MAN for quite a few weeks, but reports here suggest it is usually available at LHR lounges.

I really hope BA keep these beers, I've really enjoyed them.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by hmv
How is the availability of the Speedbird 100 and Air Craft beers on board and at the lounge currently? Flying a AMS-LGW/LHR-AUH-LHR/LGW-AMS roundtrip this month and would love to try them out both.
Husband did LGW-AMS on Tuesday and back yesterday. Reported no Speedbird in the LGW Club lounge on Tuesday late morning. No beer at all in the AMS lounge yesterday c.5pm-6pm - they did manage to source and bring in some Heineken just as he was leaving to board but it was warm. He consoled himself with the wine.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
They'd run out of Speedbird in Brewdog Tower Hill by last Thursday, but the barman told me that Elvis Juice was almost identical. Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison? I suspect the recipe is less unique than BA would have us believe...
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Deltus
They'd run out of Speedbird in Brewdog Tower Hill by last Thursday, but the barman told me that Elvis Juice was almost identical. Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison? I suspect the recipe is less unique than BA would have us believe...
Not sure I would agree with that barman. My tastebuds find Elvis Juice to be far more grapefruit flavoured and therefore more bitter tasting than Speedbird.

Last edited by SHT88T; Sep 5, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by SHT88T

Not sure I would agree with that barman. My tastebuds find Elvis Juice to be far more grapefruit flavoured and therefore more bitter tasting than Speedbird.
Depends on the batch. The first couple of cans I had were very, very grapefruity (although it may have been altitude playing tricks on tastebuds). The most recent that I've had on draft (e.g. freebie weekend), it tasted blander and more session-y.
However, I think Watt even references Elvis Juice on the BrewDog TV programme about the making of Speedbird 100 (don't @ me, it was on BA's IFE and I didn't fancy any of the movies...)
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by kt74
Depends on the batch. The first couple of cans I had were very, very grapefruity (although it may have been altitude playing tricks on tastebuds). The most recent that I've had on draft (e.g. freebie weekend), it tasted blander and more session-y.
However, I think Watt even references Elvis Juice on the BrewDog TV programme about the making of Speedbird 100 (don't @ me, it was on BA's IFE and I didn't fancy any of the movies...)
I just ‘rescued’ a can from Galleries and will use it to conduct some (not so) scientific experiments over the weekend with a couple of friends. We’ll see if we can come to a consensus.
kt74 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Yes, have done side by side with cans of both. Elvis Juice is definitely more grapefruity - it smacks you round the face with it - and also a stronger beer than Speedbird at 6.5% vs 4.8% for Speedbird so is definitely more full-bodied (for that reason EJ is usually sold in 2/3 pints in Brewdog bars). EJ is one of my favourites.

When I first tried Speedbird I was pleasantly surprised to find the same kind of grapefruity taste as EJ, but it is decidedly less pungent. My conclusion was that it's somewhere between EJ and Punk IPA. My husband likes it very much as he always found EJ a little too hard on the grapefruit for his taste, so Speedbird is more his kind of thing.

So no, it isn't exactly the same recipe as EJ but they are similar in the dominant flavour.
Tobias-UK, Deltus and SHT88T like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by gingerlucy
Yes, have done side by side with cans of both. Elvis Juice is definitely more grapefruity - it smacks you round the face with it - and also a stronger beer than Speedbird at 6.5% vs 4.8% for Speedbird so is definitely more full-bodied (for that reason EJ is usually sold in 2/3 pints in Brewdog bars). EJ is one of my favourites.

When I first tried Speedbird I was pleasantly surprised to find the same kind of grapefruity taste as EJ, but it is decidedly less pungent. My conclusion was that it's somewhere between EJ and Punk IPA. My husband likes it very much as he always found EJ a little too hard on the grapefruit for his taste, so Speedbird is more his kind of thing.

So no, it isn't exactly the same recipe as EJ but they are similar in the dominant flavour.

Pretty much unanimous agreement with gingerlucy. EJ definitely more grapefruity and bitter although after side-by-side comparison can understand why they may have been described as similar.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Sadly no Speedbird 100 in the MAN Lounge again today, on a day where I can afford to have a couple with no work commitments when I land. Back to Come Zero
ScienceTeacher likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Just ordered my third batch of cans in order to help keep the summer alive!

Punched in speedbird100.com to see read about beer or retro liveries... or both. Someone's having a laugh as it's about neither haha

Wonder for how long it'll be available in the lounges?
TrainDriverSparky likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
No sign of Speedbird on Galleries First, but loads on the T5B lounge.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Anyone know if Speedbird is stocked in the Rome FCO lounge?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by GLABA
Anyone know if Speedbird is stocked in the Rome FCO lounge?
Not when I was there a week-and-a-half ago. None on CE trolley on the flight either as they'd been consumed on the outbound. Very pleasant lounge, but help yourself to a cocktail or a (full sugar!) San Pellegrino; the beer is underwhelming (Nastro Azzurro cans IIRC)
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: BA GGL
Thumbs up

I finally got an Air Craft after months of trying to track one down. I saved it, popped it in the fridge. Look forward to trying it later in the week.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
I tried Air Craft a while back, and still prefer Speedbird (which I really like).
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.