Search

New First soft product: your experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 2:59 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Are they?
+1

Whilst visually similar, they don't seem to be the same...
Old May 20, 2019, 3:41 am

Rather late to the party, I just completed SIN-LHR with the new F service last night on the A380.

I was under the impression that there were new duvets and pillows, but I (think!) I had the old ones - the duvet which is not long enough to cover me (I am 188cm). The pillow was poor - I prefer the CW White Company one. I did get the day blanket and pillow, which was good. Cabin temperature was mostly ok, but did get pretty warm (not roasting hot) during the night.

The crockery was updated and was a good improvement. The food for dinner was normal BA F fare with a side of some sad looking vegetables. Despite asking for the steak to endure minimal cooking time, it was definitely on the well done side, but not the nuclear grey you do get in CW. At least the crew tried what they could. A nice pot of tea was delivered for breakfast which I enjoyed, and I only had fruit and some bircher muesli for breakfast so cannot comment here.

Canapes at the beginning of the flight were a nice touch, but I could not work out what they were really. Sampled both of the BrewDog beers (Aircraft was vile, and Speedbird was ok). Didn't have any other alcohol other than a PDB of fizz - stuck to sparking water and tea otherwise.

CSD was chatty and personable - certainly one of the better ones and did come at the beginning and end of the flight to check if everything was to satisfaction. The standout was the very lovely gentleman who was serving my side of the cabin - he was excellent. Feedback submitted already regarding his approach and attitude towards his customers - if only he could be replicated across the fleets.

I was lucky enough to fly out to SEAA in LX F two weeks prior, and whilst the BA offering is not going to match the exclusivity and the subsequent price point of LX F, it was overall a good improvement on previous BA F iterations. For what I paid, I cannot really complain.
PETER01 and alex67500 like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Rather late to the party, I just completed SIN-LHR with the new F service last night on the A380.

I was under the impression that there were new duvets and pillows, but I (think!) I had the old ones - the duvet which is not long enough to cover me (I am 188cm). The pillow was poor - I prefer the CW White Company one. I did get the day blanket and pillow, which was good. Cabin temperature was mostly ok, but did get pretty warm (not roasting hot) during the night.

The crockery was updated and was a good improvement. The food for dinner was normal BA F fare with a side of some sad looking vegetables. Despite asking for the steak to endure minimal cooking time, it was definitely on the well done side, but not the nuclear grey you do get in CW. At least the crew tried what they could. A nice pot of tea was delivered for breakfast which I enjoyed, and I only had fruit and some bircher muesli for breakfast so cannot comment here.

Canapes at the beginning of the flight were a nice touch, but I could not work out what they were really. Sampled both of the BrewDog beers (Aircraft was vile, and Speedbird was ok). Didn't have any other alcohol other than a PDB of fizz - stuck to sparking water and tea otherwise.

CSD was chatty and personable - certainly one of the better ones and did come at the beginning and end of the flight to check if everything was to satisfaction. The standout was the very lovely gentleman who was serving my side of the cabin - he was excellent. Feedback submitted already regarding his approach and attitude towards his customers - if only he could be replicated across the fleets.

I was lucky enough to fly out to SEAA in LX F two weeks prior, and whilst the BA offering is not going to match the exclusivity and the subsequent price point of LX F, it was overall a good improvement on previous BA F iterations. For what I paid, I cannot really complain.
I think like in a lot of messages we've read here before, it shows that the hard and soft products are pretty good, and that the delivery by Cabin Crew makes all the difference between a good and a bad flight. That's true of F and J alike. So maybe as part of the all-so-famous "Ł6.5bn investment", they should keep a bob or two aside for training? Especially since it sounds like they weren't trained much on the new F service...
HMPS likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
The Training point is correct, I believe.
Both Training in the service standards and delivering the service, AND soft skills training, like their old PPF training from many years ago, which did upgrade service delivery.

(Putting People First. Done in mid 80s and repeated in 2000. Marshall attended the beginning or end of every course, to show staff "this is important")

However, Lord Marshall knew this -The idea, in a nutshell, is that companies can’t afford to have amismatch between what they promise in their advertising and whatcustomers experience in real life.

I am not sure that the current leadership understands that spin only works when the promise is delivered.

Marshall would not have allowed Tea without Tea.
Jimmie76, IAMORGAN, JAXBA and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 4:43 am

Champagne Flutes and New Plates

Does anyone know if you can purchase the Champagne Flutes and New Plates available in First?

The flute is beautiful and I rather love the new plates too! I know the flutes are made by Dartington but can't seem to find much online from my limited searching...
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by bkojote
https://onemileatatime.com/wp-conten......-787-21.jpg

Surprised anyone is taking the new headphones, given they're just generic junk ones that a high end audio company agreed to put their name on.
I always carry my own headphones but tried the new ones out of interest. They feel heavy and clunky, as does the case. Comfort is important to me in headphones. On that basis alone, I wouldn't use them.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:52 pm

I was a little too hard on the headphones - I used them on my recent flight and found them to be acceptable. Not as good as Bose on Cathay or B&O on AA/SQ, or Grado on JetBlue, but serviceable and better than the Phitek stuff you'll see on other carriers or the crap Delta has had.

Lobster Tortelloni was fantastic, and the canapes were delicious as well. I'd avoid the beef ex-LHR though (the one I had going ex-SEA though was very good.) All in all really like the in-flight experience, even on the 747.

Sadly the ground experience at LHR was just not good by business class standards. 15 minute queue to check my bags. Hour-plus wait for the shower. No record of my cabana reservation (not that I really like them but would've helped with the hour wait for the shower.) Elemis Spa is a monument to disappointment and feels like an operation run out of an off-price shopping centre. CCR food is.. well, actually my food was pretty nice and enjoy the little booths. It feels like they tried to mimic the features of the Virgin Atlantic ground experience on paper but gave it half of the operating budget.
NoY likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Wifey and I find the earphones quite good. A bit tight but no bother.
I had excellent service.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:33 am

I love the new First Class meal service

I have just flown my first BA first class flight, after the new changes.
I was very impressed with the first class catering. The new canapés were great and I like the variety.
I love the improved selection and the lobster Caesar salad is excellent.
I love how they served soup now - pouring the liquid over your soup bowl in front of you.
The only disappointment was the Apple Strudel, which was a bit powdery.

The new bedding is wonderful, despite the blanket is still on the short side. The amenity kit is fine to me, but I find it strange that there are no longer slippers.

However, I am not a fan of the new pajama. The old one wasn't that great to start from, but this new one still has the obviously low quality material. The cotton drawstring around the waste was replaced by a ribbon and that did not even survive the flight.

June 2019
British Airways First
BA 173 London Heathrow to New York John F Kennedy Airport

New Hot towel served in a plastic tray

Pre-takeoff beverage with warmed mixed nuts

New beverage coaster

Lunch
Warm bakery selection served with butter and first DNA certified extra virgin olive oil Vubia from Costello Monte Vibiano, Umbria

Canapés
Cured Scottish salmon with avocado cream, goat’s cheese with beetroot and crackers, British beef tataki with green beans and sesame mayonnaise

[Crackers are no longer crispy if you pre-placed them… replace it with bread… or something that won’t become soggy]

Starters
Melon salad
Feta cheese, olives, mint, pistachios

Burrata
fresh figs, rosemary, roasted black olives

Grilled South Coast Lobster
Caesar salad

Miso soup
Smoked tofu, braised pak choi

Seasonal mixed leaf salad
Spicy lemon vinaigrette or creamy honey mustard dressing

Mains
British free-range spring chicken
Pineapple curry, coriander rice

Baked North Atlantic Monkfish
mushy peas, tartar sauce

Seared fillet of veal
Taleggio polenta, herb jus

Handmade Mezzaluna
Ricotta, King Oyster mushrooms, panna sauce

Selection of Sides
Oven-roasted vegetables, rosemary potatoes, Brussels sprouts with bacon

Cheese
Quicke’s Vintage Cheddar
It has a rich and earthy flavor with notes of cellar and a fruity tang.

St. Endellion Brie
A luxury version of Cornish Brie made using double cream

Driftwood
A French-style cheese made from goat’s milk. This creamy-colored cheese’s taste becomes intense and oozy after maturation.

Harrogate Blue
A soft, creamy, blue-veined cheese delivering a mellow blue flavor with a hint of pepper.

Savory biscuits, spicy plum chutney

Dessert
DO & CO Lemon

Warm mini Apple Strudel
Vanilla sauce
{Not good at all… that is the most disappointing dish in the whole menu]

Vanilla ice cream
Raspberries, chocolate shards, strawberries, meringue drops

Chocolates by Lauden

Snacks
Enjoy a light bite at any time during your flight
Joe & Seph’s caramel and sea salt popcorn
A selection of British Kettle Chips
Seasonal cut fruit

Afternoon Tea
We invite you to experience our afternoon tea service, celebrating the Great British tradition of high tea, with a selection of sandwiches, delicious handmade pastries and sweet treats.

Sandwiches
Salmon with cream cheese on dark tramezzini, cucumber mint trio, roast beef with tartar sauce on brioche roll

Cold Cuts
Goat’s curd, prosciutto, melon, mint

Patisserie
A selection of fine patisserie featuring
Chocolate éclair
Strawberry Tart
Pistachio Macaron

Scones & Jam
Freshly baked plain or fruit scones with clotted cream and strawberry preserve

Champagnes & Sparkling Wine
Laurent-Perrier Grand Sičcle, Champagne, France
Gusbourne Limited Release Twenty Fifteen, Kent, England
Lanson Rosé NV, Champagne, France

White Wines
Chablis Grand Cru Bougros 2015, Burgundy, France
Pouilly-Fuissé 2015, Burgundy, France
Leyda Reserva, Sauvignon Blanc 2018, Wairau Valley, New Zealand
Rolland Galarreta 2017, D.O. Rueda, Spain

Red Wines
Chateau Cantemerle 2014, Bordeaux, France
Fleurie La Rčserva 2013, Villa Ponciago, Beaujolais, France
Medalla Real Syrah 2015, Mendoza, Argentina

Dessert Wines
Royal Tokaji 5 Puttonyos Aszú 2013, Tokaj, Hungary
Warre’s 2009, Colheita Tawny Port
113, 115, 173, 175, 177, 179, 183 120F014-ROT3 6/19
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You should have been offered slippers, they now come in two sizes.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:49 am

Random thoughts/questions

Regarding slippers, I have had to ask for them.

Is there any secret to knowing which mains come with the vegetable side?

I think BA is confusing high tea and afternoon tea.

Overall I like the changes.

rb211.
NoY likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Carfield
I have just flown my first BA first class flight, after the new changes.
I was very impressed with the first class catering. The new canapés were great and I like the variety.
I love the improved selection and the lobster Caesar salad is excellent.
I love how they served soup now - pouring the liquid over your soup bowl in front of you.
The only disappointment was the Apple Strudel, which was a bit powdery.

The new bedding is wonderful, despite the blanket is still on the short side. The amenity kit is fine to me, but I find it strange that there are no longer slippers.

However, I am not a fan of the new pajama. The old one wasn't that great to start from, but this new one still has the obviously low quality material. The cotton drawstring around the waste was replaced by a ribbon and that did not even survive the flight.
This looks very good, thanks for sharing. Note that LHR-JFK has better catering than a lot of the rest of the network so this is not necessarily representative of the quality you'd get elsewhere, but looks to me that at least on that route BA have come on absolute leaps and bounds in F.

You spend a lot of the time flying CX, right? At the risk of rocking the boat a little here, CX F catering is a very low bar to beat to me. I find it pretty poor (basically it's caviar then a load of stuff you'd get in J on other carriers apart from the Kaiseki service to/from TYO) and would say BA F catering is better on average.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Slippers should be offered, all main courses can be served with sides.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: BAEC
@carfield. Fantastic review/photos. Thanks for sharing. I’m still dreaming of my First F, I imagine it will be on the JFK route too.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Slippers should be offered, all main courses can be served with sides.
I'm at 50% on being offered slippers.

Thanks CIHY, but that's not really what I was asking. Some mains seem to automatically come with the vegetable side, and others do not. I was wondering what the logic was (if any) behind that.

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.