FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   B737 Max : CAA bans from UK airspace; Comair aircraft grounded (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1960272-b737-max-caa-bans-uk-airspace-comair-aircraft-grounded.html)

flatlander Mar 11, 2019 3:46 am

I do feel the instructions from Boeing to 737 MAX pilots can be summarised as "Don't screw it up like the Lion Air guys did".

However, part of good aircraft design is making it hard to "hold it the wrong way". Simply ordering pilots to Do It The Right Way is not as safe as making it hard to do it wrong.

So indeed, the question arises whether other (likely better-trained) pilots at Ethiopian also held it the wrong way.

I also have the same too-much-grandfathered feeling about the 737, Boeing gets an easy ride (ahem) with the FAA on this. The door slide design, for example, and the fiction that manual reversion is an acceptable way to fly jet transports in the 21st century if you get a double hydraulic failure.

Lux Flyer Mar 11, 2019 5:18 am

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 30872052)
I do feel the instructions from Boeing to 737 MAX pilots can be summarised as "Don't screw it up like the Lion Air guys did".

However, part of good aircraft design is making it hard to "hold it the wrong way". Simply ordering pilots to Do It The Right Way is not as safe as making it hard to do it wrong.

So indeed, the question arises whether other (likely better-trained) pilots at Ethiopian also held it the wrong way.

I also have the same too-much-grandfathered feeling about the 737, Boeing gets an easy ride (ahem) with the FAA on this. The door slide design, for example, and the fiction that manual reversion is an acceptable way to fly jet transports in the 21st century if you get a double hydraulic failure.

The thing is, the opportunity for them to "screw it up" should be a rare event. Having it happen every couple months (if that turns out to be the case) is poor design and needs to be addressed. Humans are fallible beings, given enough opportunities, human error will occur. So they should be trying to eliminate the chance of human error occurring in the first place, which is done by fixing the underlying issue, not simply saying "train some more, don't screw up".

BrianDromey Mar 11, 2019 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer (Post 30872206)
The thing is, the opportunity for them to "screw it up" should be a rare event. Having it happen every couple months (if that turns out to be the case) is poor design and needs to be addressed. Humans are fallible beings, given enough opportunities, human error will occur. So they should be trying to eliminate the chance of human error occurring in the first place, which is done by fixing the underlying issue, not simply saying "train some more, don't screw up".

Im reluctant to blame Boeing, a specific airline or crew as many aircraft have had fatal accidents early in their service lives, mainly because the crew weren't familiar with certain characteristics of the aircraft. The 727 and A320 both had such accidents. The crash/short-landing of the British Midland 737 at EMA had similar root causes. The crew shut down the wrong engine, partially because of knowledge about how the AC system on the 737-200 worked which was not the case on the -3/4/500s. They reverted to this knowledge because of unclear readouts from the then-new "Glass Cockpit".

T8191 Mar 11, 2019 6:13 am

Extensive discussion on PPRuNe, of course. https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...wn-africa.html

i won't try to summarise or add speculation to rumour, you can read that thread yourselves, but it certainly sounds as though Boeing have created a bit of a monster with this variant. One little detail, though ... apparently the switches to disconnect the MCAS auto-trim system are the only ones to operate with "Up for Off", unlike every single other switch on Boeing aircraft! :eek:

gypsyjaney Mar 11, 2019 6:27 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 30872329)
Extensive discussion on PPRuNe, of course. https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/...wn-africa.html

i won't try to summarise or add speculation to rumour, you can read that thread yourselves, but it certainly sounds as though Boeing have created a bit of a monster with this variant. One little detail, though ... apparently the switches to disconnect the MCAS auto-trim system are the only ones to operate with "Up for Off", unlike every single other switch on Boeing aircraft! :eek:

Although I don't understand much of it, I'm finding the technical discussion from those with more insight into these things very interesting. I was within hours of booking a Comair flight when I checked the aircraft (thanks to my FT training) and yes, it is listed as a 737-MAX-8. I'd rather pay a bit more money for a direct flight and reduce my risk. China has grounded all 97 of its Max-8 fleet. CNN Aviation Analyst Mary Schiavo (and yes, she holds a Pilots licence) thinks it "highly suspicious". We'll have to await the result of the Black Box examination.

george77300 Mar 11, 2019 6:33 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey (Post 30871801)
It’s one thing when a slightly fly-by-night airline like Lion crash. They damage, bend and send 737s swimming on a fairly regular basis. It’s much easier to believe that such an airline would poorly train their pilots on the small differences between 737NG and MAX. Ethiopian are considered very safe, have a modern fleet of 787/777/A350, high standards and certainly don’t crash regularly. It’s much believable that a 10k hours captain wouldn’t have been aware of the Lion crash, the supposed contribution of aircraft systems and the recovery procedures.

Clearly the causes of this crash are unknown. But it’s harder to blame the crew and airline.

I agree to some degree but the Lion Air crash AFAIK had some maintenance/pilot error component to that crash too (Lion Air have had more than their fair share of crashes/runway excursions and incidents) and I agree that Ethiopian on the whole are a lot better but I wouldn't be at all surprised if pilot error is the cause for the Ethiopian crash. Ethiopian did have a 737-800 (ET409) that crashed shortly after takeoff from BEY in 2010 entirely down to pilot error. Also the First Officer on this new accident with the MAX had just 200 hours total time confirmed by Ethiopian so not an experienced crew member (Captain had 8000 hours).

I mean we'll see of course but i wouldn't write off pilot error that quickly and I'm sure Boeing will want to get to the bottom of what happened and if anything does need to be done rather quickly with lots of 737 MAX operators grounding planes.

milkyway88 Mar 11, 2019 6:41 am

BBC are reporting several airlines plus Chinese regulator grounding 737 max aircraft.

BBC

Reuters also reporting Norwegian shares down on Max worroese. Could it be the straw the breaks the camels back if these aircraft are grounded.

djbenedict Mar 11, 2019 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA (Post 30871764)
Comair has only had one 737 MAX delivery so far of the 8 they ordered. The rest of the fleet is a mix of -400s and -800s.

I've got a flight booked later this year with a Comair sector. In MMB it shows "Aircraft type: 738". Am I right in thinking that this indicates a 737-800 and that a 737 MAX 8 would be 7M8? Obviously I realise that the actual aircraft could change at the last minute anyway. Not sure how I would react to boarding a 737 MAX at present. I think I would probably choose not to fly in most circumstances.

Steve_ZA Mar 11, 2019 7:33 am

Originally Posted by djbenedict (Post 30872535)
I've got a flight booked later this year with a Comair sector. In MMB it shows "Aircraft type: 738". Am I right in thinking that this indicates a 737-800 and that a 737 MAX 8 would be 7M8?

Correct, the 738 will be a 737-800.

Admiral Ackbar Mar 11, 2019 8:47 am

Originally Posted by milkyway88 (Post 30872396)
BBC are reporting several airlines plus Chinese regulator grounding 737 max aircraft.

BBC

Reuters also reporting Norwegian shares down on Max worroese. Could it be the straw the breaks the camels back if these aircraft are grounded.

China grounding these planes is as much about Huawei and trade wars than safety imo. Until EASA and/or FAA do the same I will hold opinion.

I do share some of the concerns that the original 737 type certification has nothing to do with a current 7M8. Perhaps time to shine a light on this.

Temps Mar 11, 2019 8:53 am

I'm flying to Livingstone tomorrow on comair, thankfully it's a 737-800 from 2007. Really don't fancy getting on a Max 8.

cauchy Mar 11, 2019 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA (Post 30872556)
Correct, the 738 will be a 737-800.

It might be subbed at a later date. If you definitely don't want to travel on a MAX 8 then you are best off booking another airline now.

LHRagain Mar 11, 2019 10:22 am

See that Comair are now grounding their 737-8's

Globaliser Mar 11, 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by LHRagain (Post 30873301)
See that Comair are now grounding their 737-8's

For clarity, it looks it's Comair's single example of the MAX that is being grounded: https://www.iol.co.za/business-repor...7-max-19811120

Surely the remainder of the 737-800 fleet isn't in the least bit affected by this?

mnhusker Mar 11, 2019 10:35 am

My biggest problem with the 737-Max discussion has been that the MCAS auto-trim system is a single fault design flaw. Retired Boeing engineers and others have been quoted as saying that the air input to the system that determines the angle of attack for the MCAS auto-trim system is a single point with no back up. Thus if there is a flaw/failure there the whole system malfunctions.
This should have been picked up at the time of FAA certification but was not (software has gotten so complex that I'm not surprised that this happened, I am surprised that Boeing has not jumped on either a fix or a disconnect of the MCAS auto-trim system.)
Remember, FAA is NOT supposed to allow certification of any aircraft where a single fault would allow disabling of the aircraft. I would think that Boeing would be better served to disable the MCAS auto-trim system and train for the flight characteristics of the 737Max rather than having the pilots fighting the computer, especially if there are times when the computer is being given false information from the angle of attack input to the MCAS auto-trim system.