Community
Wiki Posts
Search

left stuff on plane - my fault, but......

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My experience was quite good. On the bus from a remote stand realised I left my whole passport wallet on the seat. Bus driver offered to drive back to the plane. 5 mins later I was reunited with passports.

Another tine on SAS left computer under the seat in front with papers etc. Cabin crew came running after me at GOT to reunite me.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:41 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by binman

that may be the policy but like so much else with BA the execution leaves a lot to desired. My wife left her bag with her meds but we waited over 90 minutes to get it back. The crew flounced passed us oblivious to missing item which was on her seat.
I left a camera bag more recently and again crew did nothing. Ground staff retrieved things on both occasions.
So no responsibility on yours or your wife's part at all then? Wow, just wow. Take care of your things (especially when it is routine fro CC to say in final approach to check you have everything) and you won't need crew being your porter come butler to reunite you with things YOU have left behind. Yes I have done this too, but it's my fault when this happens.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Chris1988
Fully acknowledge my own stupidity, but I was surprised that Iberia's SOP is to fly the bag back to Madrid without a passenger.
I highly doubt that is IB's SOP... more like an assumption by the agent, from what it sounds like.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by dca100

So it pays to keep checking back in.
Good to hear that. My own instances were with QR and AA. Both had what appeared to be well thought out processes which I followed to the letter but neither came up with the goods (quite literally).

Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Royal Orchid Silver, HH Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
I have so far left three kindles on planes which have all been returned.

Which is quite surprising as when you log on to the MissingX website and type "kindle" there are hundreds and even narrowing it down to a few days there are still dozens.

So in the end you have to pick one and only after going that can you add more details - actual flight, seat, date etc.

I assume that once they have that they ignore whether the kindle you tried to claim is actually yours and instead use the detailed information to look at them all.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:04 pm

I must admit to having been forgetful on a few occasions... left my wife’s Gucci handbag (in its dust bag) on an FR flight to CPH ... was reunited with it in EDI a week later, found by crew and returned to the departure point.

Left a drawer full of goodies in DXB (power bank, Apple ear buds things and a pair of Bose QC35), reunited with them a few days later (in fact they offered me someone else’s Bose qc20s in cofusionnof the Apple ones), but there are literally boxes and boxes of unclaimed stuff at their lost property counter 😳

My wife also left a pair of Saint Laurent glasses on a flight (they dropped out of her bag after landing and she didn’t notice until later), but these sadly never made it back to us ... useless to anyone else as they were varifocals ....

As often said here, all my fault, so no one else to blame, but when things do get returned, it restores my faith in folk !
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: too many
Mixed experiences here:
->Left a hard drive in the T5 Galleries lounge, regeistered on missingX but never saw it again
->Forgot my tablet whilst waiting for a checked in bag at LHR, whilst on a bus to get my car. Drove back there 30 minutes afterwards, went to the staff airside entrance and politely asked to talk to a supervisor. Tablet was found and returned promptly

I used to work for airport companies, and policies could vary: in one airport in the US, for instance, everything electronic found at gates or by the cleaning crews was returned by employees to the airline manager on duty, then locked in a safe until rightful owner contacts the airline. After a year, they're given out in a raffle. In another, it was directly handed over to lost&found.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Avis Presidents Club, Majestic Platinum*
Left iPad on AA

Did exactly the same last week on AA on an arrival to MIA and realised at TSA transit security. Tweeted AA who gave me the link to the form to complete and did so. Also engaged lost mode on iPad

ipad locates via AA service on Saturday and will be delivered to home in the US on Friday - could have been sooner but don’t get back until Thursday evening from my trip

Takeaways

1. Be more careful
2. I got very lucky
3. AA process is very slick and I’m impressed
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:12 am

I left my iPad in club coming back from Faro a few years back - about an hour later I received a call whilst on the Gatwick express...”sir can you confirm if you left something on the plane...”, I had no idea what they were talking about until I searched my bag and the penny dropped. It was in a very distinctive case which I described to their satisfaction. Next afternoon I wet back to Gatwick and met a customer services chap in arrivals who handed it back. Top service!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: BA Blue, LY Matmid, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, CX Marco Polo
Just to add my very recent (positive) experience here.

I managed to leave my 4 year-old son's jacket in the o/head compartment above our seats in J on arrival at T5 from TLV on Sunday. It was stuffed under the discarded White Company bedding and pillows so I hadn't noticed until my wife gave me what for when she realised at baggage reclaim.

I checked at the F/J customer service desk in the baggage hall and they told me to stick around in case the crew passed through having found it but told me it was unlikely unless it was on a seat and more likely it could be found by the cleaners and therefore to do the whole missingx.com process.

Once 24hrs had passed I started checking missingx.com - annoyingly the listings are very high level; all they list is a one-word item description (in this case "jacket", an airport or town, a model name (in this case the brand) and a colour. No mention of terminal, airline, seat number etc etc

Yesterday (2 days after losing), lo and behold a jacket appeared on the list with the right brand label so I "claimed it", filling in a form where I described the jacket and the flight and seat details. Although it said to wait several days to be contacted by Bagport to confirm if there is a match, I decided to try my luck this morning and call the LHR lost property line. Spoke to a lovely guy in the central office who took the details and said they had something matching the description. I was passing through LHR today so I asked if we could skip the process of sending out and he arranged for it to be available at the central T3 office - I picked up my son's jacket this afternoon!

It was a nice boys' bomber jacket that would have been all too easy for someone to tea-leaf so I am glad that noone noticed, the cleaners' got there first, and the process worked!

Sorry - I just realised how horrendously long this post was - I have a tendency to turn all comms into creative writing
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by irmster

Totally my fault of course. However, the items have not showed up, and the lady at Bagport who run the lost property office at LHR for BA (and other airlines) told me that uniquely, BA often do not provide the flight details for property left on planes, let alone the seat number.
This comment surprised me. A few years ago (2015), I left a camera in 16K (CW) on G-STBJ, a 777-300 on a flight back from Dallas. I checked with the lost property services and they listed a camera which matched the make and model, and a few days later I went to T5 and claimed it. I was presented with a camera, that was definitely mine (had a picture of my sister on the on board memory) but the memory card was gone. Thankfully I had uploaded all of my pictures to the cloud whilst in the lounge at DFW, so the only pictures lost were those out of the window on that flight. The lost property staff told me it was recorded as found in a row that was in the middle of World Traveller, sol clearly then they were logging the location on the aircraft it was found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.