Wiki Posts
Search

lhr to gbe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: none
lhr to gbe

Flying lhr to Gaborone. Out 14/12, back 15/1/2020. Any recommendations re best deals? should I book now or wait for next sale? prefer Econ Premium or business. Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Since there's no direct LHR-GBE flight, suppose it depends on your routing preference, vis-a-vis connecting airport and preference of onward travel airline. JNB or CPT? SA or BP?

Sale-wise, BA just finished their January sale, so the next one may be a ways away... likely April for J, or August for Y?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ex AMS to JNB and then a separate connection?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you plan on checking luggage then there is a significant advantage to booking this as a single ticket (avoids immigration and other formalities at JNB) but it will also be more expensive than making a separate booking on Air Botswana.

AMS-JNB in business will be about £1800 for those dates. JNB-GBE return is about £150
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Hi thanks for the reply. Good suggestion re single ticket. I have found only two routes from LHR so far i.e LHR/LCY to JNB with choice of carriers( direct, 1 or 2 stop), then JNB to GBE with SAA or AB, or, LHR to GBE via Addis A with Etheopian. You are about right with your pricing, but as there are 8 of us I am looking for the best deal I can get. Don't know whether its worth waiting for the next BA sale
Old Feb 27, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
If you plan on checking luggage then there is a significant advantage to booking this as a single ticket (avoids immigration and other formalities at JNB) but it will also be more expensive than making a separate booking on Air Botswana.

AMS-JNB in business will be about £1800 for those dates. JNB-GBE return is about £150
FWIW, you can book a BA through-fare AMS-GBE, so that the whole trip would go onto one ticket. This would be something in the region of £400 more round-trip than AMS-JNB, so you'd have to work out whether getting through-checking and misconnection protection (and thereby saving some time that you might otherwise have to plan for padding) is worth the extra money over buying the two bits separately.

I can actually see AMS-JNB fares at about the £1,550 level for those dates, even for 8 people. Every little helps?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks, all useful info. As you probably guessed I don't fly much (summers in France) so all advice helpful. I will check out the AMS options. Thanks again
Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.