Community
Wiki Posts
Search

left stuff on plane - my fault, but......

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by irmster
still not turned up. I'll give it until tomorrow and then start the insurance claim. As I said before, my fault, but if you leave something in a seat pocket and it's not nicked by another passenger on the way out, then it should be a fairly easy process to reunite it.
I left some charging cable and an iPhone on a flight a few months ago. It took over a week before they turned up in LHR services' logging system. So I'd advise to give them more time.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
In my years if travelling, I have left my camera on a KLM flight to Lima (and yes I got it back But I had to go to someones house! I lost my passport on a BA flight (slipped out of my side pocket and went under the seat!) and on another occasion, left my jacket on a BA flight to OSL (got that back from Lost Property few days later).

Lessons learned : Before you leave the plane - always REMEMBER to double/triple check - All pockets around you, underneath your seat, around your seat (as things slip out of your pocket) and the overheard bins.

When we all board a plane, it comes our comfort zone for that duration and we put our stuff everywhere. At the end of the flight (like everyone else) you just wanna get off the plane (sleepy brain doesn't help & all the coffee/alcohol you've consumed) and this is where problems can occur.

Best of luck & hope you can get your stuff back.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sammyh25
Anything we find on the aircraft after arriving at T5 is taken by the crew member and handed in to the BA Baggage Office in the baggage hall. Whilst there we fill out a form with the flight number, where the item was found, including seat number if known, and a description of the item. The item is then delivered to the Lost Property Office landside, behind domestic arrivals, at some point in the next 24 hours. How long the item stays there before going offsite I don't know.
that may be the policy but like so much else with BA the execution leaves a lot to desired. My wife left her bag with her meds but we waited over 90 minutes to get it back. The crew flounced passed us oblivious to missing item which was on her seat.
I left a camera bag more recently and again crew did nothing. Ground staff retrieved things on both occasions.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Kindles left in the seat pocket are my speciality, so far one left behind on a BA A319 and one on an AA A321. Neither ever made it into the respective lost property systems. A phone I left in the oneworld lounge at LAX was found by staff who insisted that the only way I could retrieve it was to collect it in person. I haven’t been within 1,000 miles of LAX in the five years since so for all I know it’s still there.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by binman

that may be the policy but like so much else with BA the execution leaves a lot to desired. My wife left her bag with her meds but we waited over 90 minutes to get it back. The crew flounced passed us oblivious to missing item which was on her seat.
I left a camera bag more recently and again crew did nothing. Ground staff retrieved things on both occasions.
Or just maybe on completion of the flight the role of the crew isn't to check for stuff that you have left behind?

Some people just have no luck with BA, whilst others have it all.
gilfiom likes this.

Last edited by simons1; Feb 24, 2019 at 2:07 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA Amex Premier

So basically you and your wife leave important items on the plane, yet it's somehow the crew's fault that they don't happen to see your left items or indeed jump to your attention.

Perhaps your attitude in this post is reflective of your attitude in real life, and people just don't want to go the extra mile to help you, and instead leave you to due process.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
How long do you think you would have had to get your things back to wait if the cabin crew had executed the BA policy to the letter?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 4:50 pm

90 minutes sounds like a much shorter wait than the official lost property office system. Perhaps next time (third time lucky?) ensure that you have collected all your important items before disembarking? @:-)
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by heb999
I had just been to an ATM, so knew exactly what was in the wallet. It was a different wallet to my usual spending and I had drawn the cash to give to someone as a gift. I was very grateful to get back $180 as opposed to nothing.
On the couple of times i found a 'lost' wallet on london transport (ie Buses), I never hand into driver, but keep to contact owner direct (or hand to police station if no possible)

Reason was , unsure whether still true, the eg bus driver I'd give lost wallet to, under LRT rules, gets to keep a percentage of wallets money , a policy which i strongly disagreed with.

No idea if that policy still exists or is more widespread

I've also lost a wallet some years ago, (gbp50 contents), police contacted me direct to offer to post if I'd authorise the station to deduct cost of postage.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by irmster
still not turned up. I'll give it until tomorrow and then start the insurance claim. As I said before, my fault, but if you leave something in a seat pocket and it's not nicked by another passenger on the way out, then it should be a fairly easy process to reunite it.
I can sympathise and would like to think that's true but having done similar things with the same outcome (not on BA incidentally) I see the odds of seeing your stuff again as pretty remote. My money is firmly on another passenger being responsible here.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SteveF

Not that honest if they nicked $20.
If the wallet had been left on a train, that would have been the lost property handling charge, as a minimum, where they go through items to determine their own "value" of said item, and then charge a percentage fee.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:46 am

I once (very stupidly) left my entire cabin bag on an Iberia flight from MAD to LHR. I do so many overnight/day trips that I got into the habit of just having a rucksack and walked off blissfully unaware.

It was only when I got to immigration that I realised. I asked the BA team for some help, but they said that (due to the flight about to depart for its return leg) it was likely the bag would be flown back to Madrid and I would need to arrange for it to be delivered back to me. After much protesting, they eventually got ground staff out there and managed to get it back to me.

Fully acknowledge my own stupidity, but I was surprised that Iberia's SOP is to fly the bag back to Madrid without a passenger.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:04 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
BA cabin crew can't be blamed here.
There is usually an announcement on landing, asking passengers to check the seat back and area around them before leaving the aircraft.
It takes about two seconds. Unless you are on the phone and don't hear it, that is
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
I can sympathise and would like to think that's true but having done similar things with the same outcome (not on BA incidentally) I see the odds of seeing your stuff again as pretty remote. My money is firmly on another passenger being responsible here.
As a data point, I am in the process of being reunited with an iPad Pro through the MissingX site. The item in question was left on a domestic flight to T5 last November.
I have to say that I've found the whole MissingX experience a struggle: I initially reported them item missing 24 hours after the loss. I didn't hear anything back (they say 'don't contact us, we'll contact you') until - somewhat bizarrely - Christmas Day when I received an email from them asking for serial number, description etc.

I sent these details to them immediately but heard nothing further. I presumed it was gone for good until I noticed this thread and randomly went back to check my case on the MissingX site. And there it was, showing as 'found'!
I had to call-in to claim, but they have confirmed they have the item and are sending it to me via courier free of charge courtesy of being a GCH.

So it pays to keep checking back in. The only downside = my justification for buying a new 12.9" iPad Pro has been shattered.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC
My own experience of lost n found at LHR has not been great but maybe not for the reasons you'd expect:
My daughter managed to once leave her Beats headphone at T5, only realising once inflight. We reported the loss to LHR and BA crew (just in case they could help) straight away, but heard nothing back. I wasn't expecting too fully aware that it was far more likely that some other passenger in T5 would have nabbed them.
The worrying bit though was that when we traveled through T5 again in the way back a couple of weeks later, we stopped at Lost N Found on eth eway out, on the off chance something had turned up. While our headphones weren't there, and despite the fact we'd reported the loss as a blue set of Beats headphones, we were offered our pick of 2 or 3 other pairs of Beats headphone, colors available being Gold, Black or White! So they were prepared to hand off items that didn't match what we reported missing. If we'd been dishonest we could have walked away with someone else's possession...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.