Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I expect anyone eating together using the buddy seat or just the two middle seats to be served at exactly the same time,
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I expect anyone eating together using the buddy seat or just the two middle seats to be served at exactly the same time,
That's exactly what happened to us (in 5E/F on the 747) on last years trip to JFK. We'll be in the same seats to CPT next month (returning via JNB on the A380) and I'm started to get depressed reading about the issues on these routes.
OneworldHarj and AnaTravel like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:33 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

What I actually find more mystifying is why is service in Club or WT+ more consistent (either good or bad) compared to First?
The FA's working in the First cabin - how are they selected? They just have to ask and get some additional training?
Actually what really drives them to want to serve/work the First cabin? Just because they have less passenger to serve and thus more down time?

For me I am fine to not have any interaction with the CSM/CSD - but if BA can just put 10% effort of their thinking of ways to cut cost into improving the F service, they will gain what they lost as passengers will be willing to pay for it.

Cheers!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think that the more the service is routine driven the more consistent the service is, in First there needs to be more communication.
flygirl68, Grande Annee and Oaxaca like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Despite my usual cabin being Club World/Club Europe,I have just flown back from Dallas FW on my ‘first first’ flight.

Despite the cabin looking a little dated, I must say the crew were absolutely superb. I got talking with one of the crew who fetched round the pre-departure drinks and he elicited fro me that not only was it my ‘first first, but that I was returning home from my ‘significant birthday’ spent with my off-spring (and their off-spring) in New Mexico.

After that I was treated like a Prince by the entire crew in First. My glass was hardly half empty before the top ups of Champagne and cognac arrived. In fact they seemed to be on a crusade to get me somewhat (no, quite a bit) ‘squiffy’. It is not often that I turn down a decent top up of cognac but even I had to admit defeat.

The food was excellent and I experienced my first ever taste of ‘salted caramel’ from the chocolate box which came round more times than I can remember.

I cheekily mentioned to one of the crew that my granddaughter in the US was obsessed with getting her paws on a pair of first class pyjamas. A few minutes later a small pair of pj’s together with slippers and a ladies amenity bag was handed to me to send to her.

At least half a dozen times the crew offered to make up my bed. I declined this on the principal that I have made my own bed since I was around 10 years old. Also, having spent 22 years of my life in HM Forces, I can make up almost any bed from a bivouac to a full sheeted job with hospital corners and all.

So overall I was very impressed. In fact when I go to Chicago in May in Club World, it may rather feel like ‘slumming it’
after this experience.

BM
bakera, HIDDY and Hilde like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Have to wonder how much the inconsistency just comes down to individual crew members motivation. I've had some great F experiences on BA but also my worst BA flight ever was in F. I'm not really demanding either as long as I have a decent flight. The BA F seat is more than comfortable enough for me. However the best F service I received was not from an experienced crew member (although I generally had really good service from experienced WW crew) but from a young MF FA who admitted to me that it was her first time working in F. It was a perfect F flight and also a full cabin so very impressive.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:01 am

Ready for my upcoming First flight to KUL, I’ve prepared myself for the following;

Busy CCR with feet on tables
Two loud business men on mobiles
Bashed in toilet doors
Priority boarding chaos
Delays with first glass of LPGS
Running out of LPGS
Dirty cabin
WT quality food
Hot cabin
Toilet door hanging off
Indifferent crew

Am I missing anything?

I must say despite this list I’m incredibly exciting about the trip!

Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

There is a consistent theme of inconsistency across so many of the reports we see (this thread alone offers several depressing examples), and I’ve certainly experienced similar myself on BA - albeit never quite in the category that you describe as ‘shocking’.

One can understand such dramatic variations in standards from one airline to another ; but quite why this should happen on different sectors but with the very same airline, and hence the same recruitment & training processes, is mystifying, to say the least.

Inconsistency is not unknown in many other consumer sectors - notably in the retail trade where say, different stores belonging to the same chain can sometimes offer wildly differing standards. It’s one of the key reasons why mystery shoppers are used, but of course to make such exercises worthwhile, management need to be sufficiently motivated and focussed to enforce action and change where necessary.

As in all large businesses, the culture is set from the top.

@ windowontheAside - no, it makes you someone who simply expects first class standards of service in return for a first class ticket.
Fair comment and in hindsight 'shocking' was a poor choice on my part, 'somewhat disappointing' would have been more appropriate.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bakera
That's exactly what happened to us (in 5E/F on the 747) on last years trip to JFK. We'll be in the same seats to CPT next month (returning via JNB on the A380) and I'm started to get depressed reading about the issues on these routes.
The service failures highlighted here can happen on any route and the chances are you’ll be fine. So don’t fret - only thing to be aware of is that the food ex-JNB is usually poor, but to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Enjoy your time here.
bakera likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Beergander
Ready for my upcoming First flight to KUL, I’ve prepared myself for the following;

Busy CCR with feet on tables
Two loud business men on mobiles
Bashed in toilet doors
Priority boarding chaos
Delays with first glass of LPGS
Running out of LPGS
Dirty cabin
WT quality food
Hot cabin
Toilet door hanging off
Indifferent crew

Am I missing anything?

I must say despite this list I’m incredibly exciting about the trip!

You missed one of the security lanes in the First wing not being manned resulting in a 30 second wait.
HIDDY and OneworldHarj like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I have been fortunate to work in a number of sectors and read/listen to quite a number of Gurus on managing people for service delivery.
The most insightful guru I ever heard was Marcus Buckingham who used extensive Gallup data to write "First Break all the Rules". (And various other books). His basic idea was that the vast majority of employee are impacted most by their immediate supervisor.
This view is echoed by Bill Byham - "Zapp" and various other books.
It is (nearly) always the immediate supervisor - CSD/CSM who impacts service levels the most. If the CSD is not good with staff, the customer will suffer.
Fit a poor CSD/CSM in to the current culture at BA where cost saving is always the number 1 priority - $10 bottles of red and white in F !!............and you get poor service.
The Customer/Employee/Service/Profit chain is well known in retail. Treat the employee badly, the service gets worse, the customer suffers and in the long run, Profit gets worse.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
... The Customer/Employee/Service/Profit chain is well known in retail. Treat the employee badly, the service gets worse, the customer suffers and in the long run, Profit gets worse.
This. It's not rocket science or brain surgery!

rb211.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
First BA First last month. (MAN) - LHR - PHX. Amex/Avios 241 of course.

Usual shuttle to LHR, then queued (and shouted at (not BA staff but it all adds to the F travel experience)) for the bus to T3. Thanks to this forum we scuttled away from the BA first lounge to the much nicer CX place.

The F flight was just the 4 PAX in the 14? cabin, a business type, a rich kid, Mrs W and your humble reporter. A very 'meh' experience and way short of (eg) QR business class in all aspects. This will be fresh in my mind when I fly PRG DOH CNX next month.

Seems it's par for the course. I'd love BA to be a national treasure - as good as some of the Mid East/ Asian carriers.

Back to T5 tomorrow. Perhaps there ought to be a FTers corner in a lounge :-)
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by aristoph
That's exactly what we thought - we could be in J!

In 3 weeks I fly Norwegian PE to the US, and BA CW home. Is it wrong that I'm more excited about the outbound?
I would keep your fingers crossed for no IRROPS. A colleague of mine had a pretty rough experience involving not getting the premium seat and the 'alternate' airline chartered in to cover the flight deciding not to feed anyone who had been downgraded because they hadn't prebooked meals (expecting them to be included ofc). I know things go wrong for BA/AA too but there's so much unwarranted positivity about Norwegian I think it's important to balance out the fact that yeah it's cheap but if stuff goes wrong it goes *really* wrong and, perhaps unsurprisingly as I'm sure the financial state of the airline is hardly motivating, the staff really don't care by that point.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:39 pm

Returning from CPT last night in first one toilet would not flush and the hand basin in the other blocked. Cabin full but service and food ok but then expectations were not high to start with. Had Kingclip fish rather than beef or lamb and that was enjoyable. Smooth flight and on time which was good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.