FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More inconsistency from BA FIRST: short trip report
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:34 am
BarneyMcGrew

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Despite my usual cabin being Club World/Club Europe,I have just flown back from Dallas FW on my ‘first first’ flight.

Despite the cabin looking a little dated, I must say the crew were absolutely superb. I got talking with one of the crew who fetched round the pre-departure drinks and he elicited fro me that not only was it my ‘first first, but that I was returning home from my ‘significant birthday’ spent with my off-spring (and their off-spring) in New Mexico.

After that I was treated like a Prince by the entire crew in First. My glass was hardly half empty before the top ups of Champagne and cognac arrived. In fact they seemed to be on a crusade to get me somewhat (no, quite a bit) ‘squiffy’. It is not often that I turn down a decent top up of cognac but even I had to admit defeat.

The food was excellent and I experienced my first ever taste of ‘salted caramel’ from the chocolate box which came round more times than I can remember.

I cheekily mentioned to one of the crew that my granddaughter in the US was obsessed with getting her paws on a pair of first class pyjamas. A few minutes later a small pair of pj’s together with slippers and a ladies amenity bag was handed to me to send to her.

At least half a dozen times the crew offered to make up my bed. I declined this on the principal that I have made my own bed since I was around 10 years old. Also, having spent 22 years of my life in HM Forces, I can make up almost any bed from a bivouac to a full sheeted job with hospital corners and all.

So overall I was very impressed. In fact when I go to Chicago in May in Club World, it may rather feel like ‘slumming it’
after this experience.

BM