Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 9 LHR-BKK. Is it getting worse ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Personally, I prefer CX to JL, and depending on your time of arrival at the airport I guess that is the only option for a OW lounge.
JL is only open until JL32 departs, which is at 9;45am and thus it closes a bit early for BA9 (which is suffering from pretty consistent delays these days). CX generally gets pretty crowded around the BA10 departure though.
BA10 has been delayed by 45 mins or more arriving into LHR in all previous 15 flights!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Most BKK flights (to/from Europe) are around 1-2 hour late when arriving due to Pakistani airspace closure. Take a look at the TG flights bound for Europe during the last 1½ months! - has nothing to due with BA10.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Crofton138
BA10 has been delayed by 45 mins or more arriving into LHR in all previous 15 flights!
And obviously I do not know why I said BA9 when I meant BA10 - but in any case, both are consistently delayed these days due to the routing around Pakistani airspace.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:58 am

Thanks very much for all the advice re: lounges and flight routing.

I didn’t get there in time to try the Qatar lounge but did make the end of the JAL Sakura lounge which I really liked. Modern, clean and good food. No champagne though, just prosecco, so we didn’t partake.

The Cathay lounge was busier but also had great food (love the noodle bar!) and Moët champagne. I love the lounge awkwardness of ordering booze at 10am but I needn’t have worried - while I was at the bar two ladies separately ordered a White Russian and a blue martini, each order whispered with some degree of guilt!

The inbound BA09 was delayed just under 1hr so we were about 30 mins late boarding - it really is a short turnaround window they leave so knock on effects bite instantly.

I’ll post a full TR in the relevant section when I can but some BA specific thoughts:
-boarding was reasonably orderly despite the delay and with groups 1 and 2 boarding together
-CW cabin reasonably clean and in better condition than I had expected given the horror stories cited on here
-welcome drinks offered with cheer and champagne servings were slightly more generous than the previously cited ‘thimbleful’. No time for top ups as boarding completed surprisingly quickly
-IFE worked after only 1 plane-wide reboot, but the selection on the older Rockwell Collins was much more limited than on Panasonic/Thales systems
-seats 5A/B experienced notable engine vibration on take off and ascent on this 48J 777-200er
-it did take a while to get served in the initial drinks run but I was prepared for this given we were sat at the back of the main cabin. Using advice gleaned from FT I requested to mix my own G&T. When delivered the crew accidentally spilled the can of tonic on my wife in the aisle seat. No problem - these things happen - but I didn’t much appreciate the comment “that’s probably why we don’t serve them this way” like it was my fault.
-the beef ran out by the time we were asked for our choices but no biggie, the main course of red snapper curry was great instead. Starters also good, as was the food later in the flight.
-when I asked if I could have dessert now and cheese later I was told no because they just do the one meal run as “that’s the Club service”. Feeling a bit awkward I just stuck with the cheese...
-raiding the Club Kitchen later I asked for a fork to have with the pasta salad. Cue rummaging and some huffs and puffs before being told there were none. “So how should I eat this?” I asked, which got a great response. “You can have one of your forks from the next meal service if you like, but then you’ll only have one fork for the evening meal.” Amazing. I actually got both forks in the end, so evidently some other poor soul was left a fork short in their cutlery set.
-flight took 13.5hrs given the aforementioned airspace restrictions

Overall not quite the horror show expressed by some upthread but this is definitely not BA at its best!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
I've flown BA to BKK in CW 3 times now and out of that lot I have had a couple of good flights, a couple of average flights and one terrible flight (my last return on BA10 this past March was dire...dirty aircraft/seat. terrible food and faulty IFE).

So a mixed bag. However the last one was so bad that now - along with the apparent disappearance good ex-EU (AMS) fares - I've decided to book my next trip with EVA instead. Fairly consistently good reviews and cheaper than BA (for my dates, at least) so I'm prepared to sacrifice Avios and TPs for it now, in order to try EVA instead.
nivsy likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Magic01273
I've flown BA to BKK in CW 3 times now and out of that lot I have had a couple of good flights, a couple of average flights and one terrible flight (my last return on BA10 this past March was dire...dirty aircraft/seat. terrible food and faulty IFE).

So a mixed bag. However the last one was so bad that now - along with the apparent disappearance good ex-EU (AMS) fares - I've decided to book my next trip with EVA instead. Fairly consistently good reviews and cheaper than BA (for my dates, at least) so I'm prepared to sacrifice Avios and TPs for it now, in order to try EVA instead.
I've flown Eva ORD-TPE-BKK return in PE. I was really, really impressed.
onobond likes this.

Last edited by capin; Apr 25, 2019 at 2:08 pm Reason: Apple's crazy spell checker.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
BKK and DEL routes have been retimed from 1 May to include this additional flying time in the schedule.
Tobias-UK and msm2000uk like this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
787-9

I noticed the summer 2020 season shows some flights operated by 787-9 but not all - is this for a specific reason or is this a permanent change to the aircraft type being used on this route?

I’ve avoided BA9/10 for a while (opting to go via HKG instead) but this might tempt me back!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by HarryKUK
I noticed the summer 2020 season shows some flights operated by 787-9 but not all - is this for a specific reason or is this a permanent change to the aircraft type being used on this route?

I’ve avoided BA9/10 for a while (opting to go via HKG instead) but this might tempt me back!
And me !!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I hope so.

BKK is a lottery at the moment. Fly with BA and you're guaranteed one of the worst CW experiences you can have. Fly with QR and you might get a lovely A380, you might get a 787, or you might get an A330 - and just because you booked a certain one in no way means you're getting it.

This is why I always fly into SE Asia via HKG or SIN these days. A 787-9 from BA on that route may well tempt me back - especially if the AMS fares come back.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes the changes has been announced and is most welcome news in what was one of the poorest flights into South East Asia in the BA network so far!
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The change of aircraft might tempt me back, I've been going via KUL or HKG at times or flying with Qatar at other times. Qatar has I think 7 (seven) flights per day from DOH-BKK. I've had two recent flights where the A330 has been near empty going but I'm told it's full coming back.

BA's old planes are very poor value for money in Club. Both LHR-BKK and LHR-CPT are using very old planes with less than luxurious products at the front yet people do want to fly direct.

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the 777 that currently flies to BKK? Surely it's got many years left of service so perhaps it will be fitted with a new interior and up to date IFE.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Sign47
The change of aircraft might tempt me back, I've been going via KUL or HKG at times or flying with Qatar at other times. Qatar has I think 7 (seven) flights per day from DOH-BKK. I've had two recent flights where the A330 has been near empty going but I'm told it's full coming back.

BA's old planes are very poor value for money in Club. Both LHR-BKK and LHR-CPT are using very old planes with less than luxurious products at the front yet people do want to fly direct.

Does anyone know what is going to happen to the 777 that currently flies to BKK? Surely it's got many years left of service so perhaps it will be fitted with a new interior and up to date IFE.
If I were a betting man I’d say that the 777 will transfer to Gatwick and get the LGW new interiors. The 777 fleet there was due to grow to 17 frames if memory doesn’t fail me.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:19 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
If I were a betting man Id say as soon as the LHR 777 densification is in full swing this will probably go back to 777, albeit a refurbed and 10 abreast in Y version - probably just in time for the peak winter season.
george77300 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by capin
I've flown Eva ORD-TPE-BKK return in PE. I was really, really impressed.
EVA offers a longer meal service and champagne on a Cirrus seat. Every aspect is better than CW.
AndyFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.