Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your success rate on a glass of ET tap water?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your success rate on a glass of ET tap water?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:39 pm

I bring my own water bottle .. fill it at the lounge or at the gate (depending on the airport). Saves all this trouble.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
OP - I understand the sentiment but I suspect the truth is BA won’t care as it isn’t a revenue source for them, so they can promise ‘time permitting’ but aren’t going to justify an internal project to sort this out!

Always an option to use the call button or your legs (fully agree you shouldn’t have to).

Good luck with your aquatic crusade!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by navylad
What's to stop you taking an empty 2L bottle through security and filling it up airside [...]

Having said that, it is interesting those who just choose their moment when CC can easily supply the water without having to either disturb their BOB service or remember it in minutes several seam to have a greater "success rate".
On 1) limits to hand luggage size. And as mentioned, as I’m typically a connecting flyer, on a not insignificant proportion of my trips, when there is a delay on my outbound and a bad gate, I’m just left running for my connection with no chance of stopping at lounge or fountains for even my small bottle which is my normal strategy.

in any case, while I appreciate the effort to make my life happier, bringing more water, buying more water, starting meditation with a desert theme, or allowing my nose to bleed all fail to solve the basic problem discuss in this thread which is how to improve the delivery of a service that both ba and crew are completely happy to provide in principle but which delivery is largely ineffective. I mean sure, if there is a leak in the flat above yours I can always tell you you can just put a bucket in your living room and emptying it twice a day, but that sort of misses the point that the neighbour above has a leak in the first place.

On 2), my abject apologies if I have done it wrong: I thought that the right time to ask was precisely when crew come with BoB, but I’d love to know what the correct time is if it increases my chances so please do tell me. In this thread I’ve seen only one person with much better success but from what I gather he asks exactly at the same time as me. That also matches the process described by our resident Crew members when first discussing this at the start of BoB though always happy to learn if something has changed.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jan 29, 2019 at 12:03 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I understand the OP point as a matter of principle: the service should be provided, but for various reason fails to materialize. A person can use multiple methods to avoid the issue, from bringing a bottle to buy it on board, but it doesn't solve the "problem" itself.

I have no data point, though, because so far I never asked for a glass of water, nor bought anything from BoB...
orbitmic and subject2load like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:36 am

Have always been very successful have just asked
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Reading through of this 24 hours later, clearly the OP is clearly right to work on the basis that the advertised service will be provided efficiently. As with any area of the service which is not thusly delivered, the SCCM should be summoned for a polite discussion, that's is what they are paid to do, notably dealing with frustrations that arise from barriers to good service.

There is a "however" coming. The OP has, with understandable rationality, put a whole series of barriers in the way too:
- not willing to pay for water
- not willing to use Avios for water
- having a rather high level of short connections AND cabin service failure.
- preferring to travel EuroTraveller
- sitting by the window
- sitting near the front of the cabin/exit rows
- unwilling to disturb neighbours
- not overly keen on using the call bell

So I wonder if a blurring of some of the above red lines may lead to a more pragmatic outcome? Particularly the Avios one, I rather doubt the OP has a shortage there. Or the call bell. At least the spirit of compromise, sometimes missing in life these days, should also be in the wash too, if I may mix many a metaphor.

There is definitely space on the top of the trolley for a spare 2 litre water bottle, I have seen it happen, the obvious thing to do is to get unbranded water bottles, which is actually purified tap water from the UK water supply, Beckton Treatment Plant by LCY has a roaring trade in this, and these clear water bottles, with very little labelling and no branding can be sourced on the catering trade market. Maybe a mini FT campaign for this amendment to the service?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:48 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It is a while I did not ask due to my current flying pattern, but for the few times I did, I had a success rate of 50% of having it delivered when I asked (which was during BOB service). The other 50% I either use the call bell (I do not hesitate to use it if I feel I need it) or ask on my way back from the bathroom.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
... I regularly ask the crew for a glass of tap water (yes, the free stuff that looks like a chalky cloud when it is just out of the tank and which the crew themselves refuse to drink) "when you'll get a chance" when they pass with their trolley in ET. I phrase it that way because I know that they are supposed to do the BoB first and then bring tap water to whoever asked after that has ended...

- Anything else?
In addition to the very valid points in CWS's post above, I have wondered if the OP is contributing to being forgotten without realising it by phrasing his request on such a polite and humble way that it does not convey the importance of the matter to him. I am not knocking being polite or considerate in any way, but in this case he may project an overlooking of his need through his delivery of it. Practically, just firmly asking for tap water please (without embellishment) when offered BoB may result in a better hit rate.
orbitmic and navylad like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
In addition to the very valid points in CWS's post above, I have wondered if the OP is contributing to being forgotten without realising it by phrasing his request on such a polite and humble way that it does not convey the importance of the matter to him. I am not knocking being polite or considerate in any way, but in this case he may project an overlooking of his need through his delivery of it. Practically, just firmly asking for tap water please (without embellishment) when offered BoB may result in a better hit rate.

i’ve certainly asked myself just that so may try the less ‘I don’t want to disturb you’ version today!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

There is a "however" coming. The OP has, with understandable rationality, put a whole series of barriers in the way too:
- 1. not willing to pay for water
- 2. not willing to use Avios for water
- 3. having a rather high level of short connections AND cabin service failure.
- 4. preferring to travel EuroTraveller
- 5. sitting by the window
- 6. sitting near the front of the cabin/exit rows
- 7. unwilling to disturb neighbours
- 8. not overly keen on using the call bell
(Numbers added for simplicity) All good points but worth noting that they predict very different things.

For instance 1,2,3,4 arguably don’t make the service issue any worse but merely more noticeable by simply leading me to want to avail myself of the tap water service. I mean if I only flew ET or bought water, I’d simply never need to ask for tap water and would this ignore whether crew were effective at delivering it or not.

by contrast, 5,7 and 8 just means that the delivery problem becomes a bit more frustrating (though again, at the end I do either end up bothering neighbours and asking in the galley or asking a passing crew member on their rubbish collection run so I do end up getting the water, it remains that I think everyone, crew included, would be better off with your excellent jug suggestion and getting it right there and then imho)

finally 6 is the one that makes me more likely to have my request forgotten. Typically, crew who choose to go and fetch water at the first opportunity get it to me invariably but if they abide by the instruction to do so at the end of the BoB service they forget more often than not and probably wouldn’t if I were in row 28.

i think another paradoxical explanation btw is that I think the more people ask for tap water, the less we tend to be forgotten. Also interesting!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:40 am

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I’m amazed by the amount of people who don’t have a problem with BoB.

BA used to give me a GnT included in my fare

now they charge an extra 6 quid or so for it and try to pass it off as an enhancement

Id rather go to hell than give them the satisfaction !
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:30 am

deleted

Last edited by Flexible preferences; Jan 30, 2019 at 2:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.