Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pictures: New World Traveller Plus catering - launches 1 Feb 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pictures: New World Traveller Plus catering - launches 1 Feb 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Notes from this morning’s BA72 AUH-LHR. There’s a new folded menu card.

Me : “Oooh, it’s the new service !”
Cabin crew : “Don’t hold your breath ...”

Being an 02:05 departure, the first service is a hot snack - a ‘chicken shawarma’, which was a turdish shape and had the texture of a giant deep fried spring roll.
Without any dip or salad, it was as dry as the desert sand.

Breakfast service :
CC : “Omelette or frittata ?”
Me : “Which omelette ? There are two different omelette dishes on the menu.”
CC : < blank look > “The omelette option has meat. The frittata is vegetarian.”
Me : “I’ll have the omelette”

Under the foil was the cheeese omelette, harra potato, marinated tomato and lamb merged sausage, which all tasted the same as any other airline breakfast. A couple of the potatoes had a nice crunch though.

Also on the tray was butter for the roll, apricot jam, fruit, yoghurt, apple danish and bottled water.

Pity. I fancied the other omelette. Wonder what became of that ?
This is still a much weaker offering than what you would get in Virgin PE on the same lenght flight.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

This is still a much weaker offering than what you would get in Virgin PE on the same lenght flight.
But this is a redeye where the service has always been reduced. Let’s wait until the ex-US breakfast reports come back before passing final judgment.

Warmed cream cheese pretzels??
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be

VS PE always feels like an exception to the general standard though
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
now a warmed up "BA pretzel roll with cream cheese" is just so SO wrong on every level.

In fact, if they had any left - senior managers should be made to eat one!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Notes from this morning’s BA72 AUH-LHR. There’s a new folded menu card.

Me : “Oooh, it’s the new service !”
Cabin crew : “Don’t hold your breath ...”

Being an 02:05 departure, the first service is a hot snack - a ‘chicken shawarma’, which was a turdish shape and had the texture of a giant deep fried spring roll.
Without any dip or salad, it was as dry as the desert sand.

Breakfast service :
CC : “Omelette or frittata ?”
Me : “Which omelette ? There are two different omelette dishes on the menu.”
CC : < blank look > “The omelette option has meat. The frittata is vegetarian.”
Me : “I’ll have the omelette”
Good to see the crew member providing an excellent service

The chicken shawarma hot option looks like an idea taken from Qatar Airways. They give out a hot snack in a box like that but it's quite soft and delicious!

Breakfast looks fine. The presentation is far, far better than it was. I find breakfast at the end of an overnight never travels well. A shame it wasn't amazing though. Thanks for the pics!!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Good to see the crew member providing an excellent service

The chicken shawarma hot option looks like an idea taken from Qatar Airways. They give out a hot snack in a box like that but it's quite soft and delicious!

Breakfast looks fine. The presentation is far, far better than it was. I find breakfast at the end of an overnight never travels well. A shame it wasn't amazing though. Thanks for the pics!!
It's personal taste I guess but I've flown QR a lot and their hot snacks are one of my least favourite options.

Looking at the menu, pretty sure they were trialling some of the new options when I flew last month.

Breakfast coming out of the ME is tricky if pork isn't an option. The fake bacon I had was revolting and the cheese omelette was overcooked for my taste but I like eggs not cooked too much. The spinach was nice though and the beans. .
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
I'm sitting in my hotel room in Orlando having just flown over and experienced the new and improved service, some photos below but just to clear one thing up... poor as it may be, the CW afternoon tea should in no way feel threatened! The second service on today's flight was the aforementioned margarita pizza with a slice of cake, it was meh at best, in fact I think I preferred the old sandwiches (which I assume they still serve in WT)

The menu card, it's smaller than I was expecting (insert joke here)

New nibbles, the pesto flavour was extremely well hidden...

Main meal - pretty good, salad was ok, not much better than what you get in WT, curry wasn't one of BAs best

So yeah, this isn't quite what I was expecting. Pizza was pretty ordinary, not much flavour just a load of cheese, cake was nice but would it kill BA to serve something that isn't just carbs?

Spot the difference...I appreciate this is the second meal on a longer flight but still...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
While there’s some positives here, that second meal reflects what AA serves in *economy* for their second meal on Europe-East Coast, including short ones like SNN-PHL.

Regardless an improvement over the ‘Twix as a second meal.’ Dare I say the old sandwiches were better?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Gicen that there have actually been some genuine enhancements recently (CE food, CW soft product) this is quite disappointing. Having done WTP to ORD in October I thought the food offering was quite good. The second meal of a sandwich and toblerone was perfectly adequate but the main I’d had was delicious and I’d mopped the plate up with my bread roll. I’d noticed the person on the opposite side of the aisle do the same and overheard people saying how good the food was. Why change something that wasn’t bad?

The pizza is a dreadful idea - Pizzagate! It loading Tribute in the WTP trolley - Tributegate!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Gravy plane

Originally Posted by Joely
Riggwelter Yorksire Ale rich jus
Real Yorkshiremen would never use their beer to make anything as pretentious as a "jus".
bakera and GaxxyFlyer like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've got a shorter WT+ flight to JFK on Saturday so will try and get some pics from that and even try the pizza to give a second opinion should it be offered.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by airb330
While there’s some positives here, that second meal reflects what AA serves in *economy* for their second meal on Europe-East Coast, including short ones like SNN-PHL.

Yes, I was thinking that. It's been several years since I've flown AA TATL, but I didn't mind their pizzas. They were quite tasty from memory and served with a bunch of grapes, iirc. The most amusing thing I do remember was that they were served at volcanic temperatures, or at least hot enough to melt the tines of my plastic fork! (Yes, I was trying to be at least a little bit civilised and eat with (plastic) knife and fork!).

The one pictured here looks like it hasn't cooked long enough as the cheese appears to have formed pools of oil. I wonder if they bake the base and tomato and then chuck the cheese on top and expect it to melt in the oven when the crew heat it up? It doesn't look like it's received any direct heat, just hot air to soften the cheese.
airb330 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by airb330
What do you get for a second meal in premium economy on AA for a Europe-East Coast flight?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
What do you get for a second meal in premium economy on AA for a Europe-East Coast flight?
Economy: Ice-cream a few hours after the main meal. Then a little later, a panini-type sandwich (used to be pizza), and a cake (or brownie) all heated up in one box. You're given just the box--just like WT/WT+.

Premium Economy: A salad, with fresh fruit, and DO&CO-type pot/pudding dessert. This is plated on a small tray. Honestly, pretty similar to what business gets for the second meal now.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Just came off my LHR-JFK flight. 11 people in the 30 seat cabin and 4 crew.

Champagne or water offered at first.
Hot towel, bottle of water and mini pesto bites.
4 drinks runs (trays of OJ / water) through the flight.
Magnum ice cream about 3hrs before landing.
Pizza box and hour before.

Cheesecake but didn't eat it.

Menu

Guinea fowl

About the size of a piece of chewing gum

Pizza box.

Some salad thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.